Marsh

usa.marsh.com

Marsh Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Peter Zaffino

Pros
  • Very good for work life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, colleagues and collaboration across departments(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management was changed without warning and layoffs came out of the blue(in 6 reviews)

• You are just a number - if someone leaves company, common to hear 'the Marsh juggernaut carries on'(in 3 reviews)

Not a meritocracy by any measure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThey have a subsidised Starbucks
    Some really talented colleagues

ConsAn indifferent HR function
    Many jobsworth 'company men'

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people who are good at their jobs BEFORE they decide to leave the company AND promote talent ahead of family name, school of education, and time of service.

Sales oriented culture

Client Advisor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

Prosteam environment; benefits; expertise in industry

Consconstant changes to corporate structure and upper management; outdated technology; overly burdensome internal processes; no pay raises

Advice to Senior ManagementIntensive focus on sales will hurt retention of current clients

Great place to work

ProsChallenging, best minds in the business, flexible, opportunity for advancement

Consneed to satisfy wall street = lots of internal reporting and management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Professional but short sighted.

Client Advisor (Current Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsGreat resources and very able work force/talent.

ConsShort sighted, stagnant growth, old school technology and methods.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to start gutting the old ways.

Absolutely NO raises given in this company for years. Employees at all levels are treated as disposable.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMidtown location of the NYC headquarter office. Name recognition of this large international company in the brokerage industry.

ConsNo raises. Low (if any) bonuses. No room for career advancement. Terrible management and abysmal leadership especially in FINPRO. Employee morale and motivation are extremely low. Diversity is dismal. Marsh has many corporate initiatives and programs in place but it is all just "form over substance" and a means to check the box from a compliance standpoint. Upper Management is an exclusively white old boys (and girls) club, consisting for the most part of people who are far from brilliant but who have mastered the game of politics. No one in management has a shred of humanity, empathy or compassion. Nor is anyone interested in cultivating the large numbers of under-utilized and under-appreciated talent in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPAY your people. Give them raises. Give them Bonuses. Make them feel valued rather than disposable.

Start valuing the people who work hard and work well, rather than the ones who play politics.

Place people who know how to manage in managerial positions and provide ongoing training for managers. Instead of wasting time and resources on bi-annual reviews that are merely form over substance, engage in 360 reviews and be open to constructive criticism from employees.

This place will suck your soul out.

Certificate Specialist (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSome of the brokers were very helpful and I did learn a fair bit. Benefits were decent, vacation time was plentiful.

ConsIt was impossible to get a day off. My supervisor was unwilling to let me get one morning off to buy a house, but took two weeks off to go to Europe after half of our team quit. Often, he would swing by my desk before he left on for the weekend and pressure me to work weekends (just like the manager in "Office Space"). Training is terrible, and because the workload is so heavy new employees are given trial by fire. No one is happy at Marsh in Austin, and the work environment is miserable.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow some appreciation for the little guys, create a real training program and put a bit of thought into who you promote as a supervisor or team lead.

Too sales centric

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsDecent work hours, good remuneration

ConsOnly focus on sales, no innovation

Advice to Senior ManagementLook beyond money as the differentiator to win deals!

Vice President - GIT

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsNothing that can invite the top talent but good for pedestrian and mediocre talent. The place can really become nice to work if the current top management is fired and new set of leadership is brought that has hands on knowledge and are technical and also respect the IT resources.

ConsVery weak IT management, no vision, top management laced with insecurity, mantra applied "award the mediocrity and suppress the meritocracy", filled with "yes sir" culture. Highly disorganized with the leaders having no clue how to run and IT organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the top IT management and flatten the organization of hierarchy. Top management pay and bonus should be directly linked to the performance and they should be held responsible

Great people, large matrixed organization, lots of politics

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgreat people, large company means lots of resources, great mentors, opportunity for advancement, largest broker in industry, exposure to lots in the industry

Consrate race, little loyalty from management, devotion to cutting costs has resulted in workers doing more with less

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees for hard work

Overal bad experience due to immediate superior

Insurance Assistant (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsMost team members were amazing

ConsSeveral team members with mental health issues seriously intervening in quality of work and human relations made everyday work very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not put team management responsibility in the hands of managers who have no ability or will to properly run a team.

Encourage independent thinking and reward effort with advancement opportunities.

Get rid of employees with mental health issues when work is impacted or find ways to encourage them to constructively improve.

Worked for Marsh? Contribute to the Community!