Marsh Supermarkets

Add Photos

Joseph M. (Joe) Kelley

Great Company to Work For

Assistant Floral Manager (Former Employee) Carmel, IN

ProsI worked at store level and the pros were:
    * flexible hours
    *opportunity to move from department to department and learn different aspects of the business
    *great benefits
    *great people
    *great supervisors and store managers. they really seem to care about the employees and customers

ConsThe one con I ran into was that once you were at store level, it was difficult to move into a management role. This was ultimately why I left. If you are looking for a great job and you aren't concerned with moving into management, this is the place to be.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep caring about your people, it really makes a difference. It's easy to just set aside their concerns as trival, but when you listen, it makes a big difference in morale.

Scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

Assistant Produce Manager (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsBenefits were there didn't need them as to i'm still insured by my parent until 26/22, work is your life in management, time off with the turn over rate and call offs your there every day if they depend on you. But the pay composition weekly made up for the harder work put in.

ConsLet go just because I caught a felony case, security didn't even give me a chance to explain the case was thrown out of court. Other than that I have nothing bad to say about the company. My store lead was funny and the greatest ever. He didn't mind working with you for a dual finished result.

Advice to Senior ManagementI came off the streets straight out of high school to become a manager, did intake a three month training program / pretty brutal. Consist of grunt work and a department head pointing his finger and giving you a list of duties to complete. Cool.

Not a bad place to work, but not great either.

Meat Cutter (Current Employee) Lafayette, IN

ProsCompensation is a little better than competitors. Flexible schedule allowed for time to complete my school work and spend valuable time with my family.

ConsMost department managers are very young and under trained. Not a lot of opportunities for advancement. Not much training offered to assist in problematic areas.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Former trendsetter sinking fast

IT Professional (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsCorporate offices were nice, Co-workers in my department were friendly and helpful for the most part.

ConsCompensation was poor to average at best unless you were upper management. Continual rounds of layoffs foster paranoia. Upper management has had a revolving door, leading to poor business planning and implementation. Department Managers in stores and at corporate sometimes hinder employee advancement so they don't have to find and train new people

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are in one of the most competitive grocery markets in the country. If you don't soon find a business model that does not depend on constant layoffs and store closures, you will soon be out of business.

Used to be a great company...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGenerally friendly and cooperative atmosphere, management can be appreciative of efforts when they wanted to be.

ConsA very political company. Advancement depends on who you know and whether your supervisor thinks that it is in his or her best interests to allow you to advance.Pay scale is on the low side for office jobs. The company's decade long problems with keeping market share and viability contributes to a feeling of job insecurity, underscored by rounds of layoffs, downsizing, multiple store closures and the elimination of company contribution to 401(k) plans.

High Standards for Low Pay but an enjoyable place to work!

Deli/Bakery Associate (Former Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsI really enjoyed my coworkers, I also enjoyed that there was fairly strict guidelines for things as it forced everyone to be on the same page and made things run smoothly.

ConsObviously strict guidelines are meant for a good reason but they can obviously be annoying. This company also had a flawed approach: they demanded customer service be first but were far from understanding if long nightly duty lists were not completed due to busy nights. It was hard to balance tasks and customers here.

Advice to Senior ManagementNight shifts tend to get stuck with many leftover tasks and duties from the day shifts. This makes it very hard to put customers first as we are more worried about being in trouble that our manager duty lists were not completed.

Good place to work. Going Downhill

Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsIf you do the job and work hard, it's recognized, just not rewarded. The job is easy, the pay is fine, and everything is overall very reasonable.

ConsManagement has high turnover and is lacking motivation.
    Customer Service / Retail environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the good employees and treat them with respect. They're what will make life easier for you.

Not a bad gig for a part time job!

Deli Clerk (Former Employee) Muncie, IN

ProsThe management is very flexible with the scheduling. The co-workers were all fun to work with, and the customers are all pretty nice.

ConsIt's a lot of standing, and some co-workers don't show up to their shifts. Whenever the "big bosses" come, it gets very serious.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think they do a great job. I have no advice.

Wonderful Workplace

Pharmacy (Current Employee) West Lafayette, IN

ProsGreat hours for a retail pharmacy
    Pharmacy manager is excellent to work with

ConsPharmacy area is very small and gets crowded
    Pay is less than for interns at big chains

Didn't treat employees well.

Cashier, Service Clerk, Night Shift Stocking (Former Employee) Zionsville, IN

ProsThe workload wasn't overwhelming. You get an employee discount on certain Marsh items.

ConsCoworkers didn't work hard at all. They didn't care and high school kids were rude to customers. Management never gave the good employees the benefit of the doubt. The customers would complain about everything from the layout of the parking lot to how the store was run.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a better example for your employees, none of them will be motivated if you aren't either.

Worked for Marsh Supermarkets? Contribute to the Community!