Marsh Supermarkets

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
2.8

Joseph M. (Joe) Kelley

Compensation is competitive to other retail locations, but you experience will differ greatly based on you Manager

Current Employee - Office Clerk  in  Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - Office Clerk in Noblesville, IN

I have been working at Marsh Supermarkets part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Management positions come up fairly often because the high turn around rate. Life as a hourly worker is pretty unsatisfying, you won't make much money and Marsh philosophy to work-life balance is work when we want and your life doesn't matter.

Cons

Working for one manager in particular was fantastic. He was a terrific leader and built a strong workforce among the departments

Great Company to Work For

Former Employee - Assistant Floral Manager  in  Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Floral Manager in Carmel, IN

I worked at Marsh Supermarkets full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked at store level and the pros were:
    * flexible hours
    *opportunity to move from department to department and learn different aspects of the business
    *great benefits
    *great people
    *great supervisors and store managers. they really seem to care about the employees and customers

Cons

The one con I ran into was that once you were at store level, it was difficult to move into a management role. This was ultimately why I left. If you are looking for a great job and you aren't concerned with moving into management, this is the place to be.

Keep caring about your people, it really makes a difference. It's easy to just set aside their concerns as trival, but when you listen, it makes a big difference in morale.

Scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

Former Employee - Assistant Produce Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Assistant Produce Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Marsh Supermarkets full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were there didn't need them as to i'm still insured by my parent until 26/22, work is your life in management, time off with the turn over rate and call offs your there every day if they depend on you. But the pay composition weekly made up for the harder work put in.

Cons

Let go just because I caught a felony case, security didn't even give me a chance to explain the case was thrown out of court. Other than that I have nothing bad to say about the company. My store lead was funny and the greatest ever. He didn't mind working with you for a dual finished result.

I came off the streets straight out of high school to become a manager, did intake a three month training program / pretty brutal. Consist of grunt work and a department head pointing his finger and giving you a list of duties to complete. Cool.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a bad place to work, but not great either.

Current Employee - Meat Cutter  in  Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Meat Cutter in Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Marsh Supermarkets full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Compensation is a little better than competitors. Flexible schedule allowed for time to complete my school work and spend valuable time with my family.

Cons

Most department managers are very young and under trained. Not a lot of opportunities for advancement. Not much training offered to assist in problematic areas.

Former trendsetter sinking fast

Former Employee - IT Professional  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - IT Professional in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Marsh Supermarkets full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Corporate offices were nice, Co-workers in my department were friendly and helpful for the most part.

Cons

Compensation was poor to average at best unless you were upper management. Continual rounds of layoffs foster paranoia. Upper management has had a revolving door, leading to poor business planning and implementation. Department Managers in stores and at corporate sometimes hinder employee advancement so they don't have to find and train new people

You are in one of the most competitive grocery markets in the country. If you don't soon find a business model that does not depend on constant layoffs and store closures, you will soon be out of business.

Used to be a great company...

I worked at Marsh Supermarkets full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Generally friendly and cooperative atmosphere, management can be appreciative of efforts when they wanted to be.

Cons

A very political company. Advancement depends on who you know and whether your supervisor thinks that it is in his or her best interests to allow you to advance.Pay scale is on the low side for office jobs. The company's decade long problems with keeping market share and viability contributes to a feeling of job insecurity, underscored by rounds of layoffs, downsizing, multiple store closures and the elimination of company contribution to 401(k) plans.

High Standards for Low Pay but an enjoyable place to work!

Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Associate  in  West Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Deli/Bakery Associate in West Lafayette, IN

I worked at Marsh Supermarkets part-time for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed my coworkers, I also enjoyed that there was fairly strict guidelines for things as it forced everyone to be on the same page and made things run smoothly.

Cons

Obviously strict guidelines are meant for a good reason but they can obviously be annoying. This company also had a flawed approach: they demanded customer service be first but were far from understanding if long nightly duty lists were not completed due to busy nights. It was hard to balance tasks and customers here.

Night shifts tend to get stuck with many leftover tasks and duties from the day shifts. This makes it very hard to put customers first as we are more worried about being in trouble that our manager duty lists were not completed.

Not a bad gig for a part time job!

Former Employee - Deli Clerk  in  Muncie, IN
    Former Employee - Deli Clerk in Muncie, IN

I worked at Marsh Supermarkets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The management is very flexible with the scheduling. The co-workers were all fun to work with, and the customers are all pretty nice.

Cons

It's a lot of standing, and some co-workers don't show up to their shifts. Whenever the "big bosses" come, it gets very serious.

I think they do a great job. I have no advice.

Good place to work. Going Downhill

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Representative  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service Representative in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Marsh Supermarkets part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you do the job and work hard, it's recognized, just not rewarded. The job is easy, the pay is fine, and everything is overall very reasonable.

Cons

Management has high turnover and is lacking motivation.
    Customer Service / Retail environment.

Find the good employees and treat them with respect. They're what will make life easier for you.

Wonderful Workplace

Current Employee - Pharmacy  in  West Lafayette, IN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy in West Lafayette, IN

I have been working at Marsh Supermarkets part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great hours for a retail pharmacy
    Pharmacy manager is excellent to work with

Cons

Pharmacy area is very small and gets crowded
    Pay is less than for interns at big chains

Worked for Marsh Supermarkets? Contribute to the Community!