Marsh Reviews

1 Rating

1. Lots of Hands in the Cookie Jar, but Comfy

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Washington, DC

I worked at Marsh full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My first real job out of school, was working as a desktop publisher for Marsh in Washington, DC. Temped for over a year waiting on a promise of full-tire hiring, and eventually got to define my position, and grew into a Graphic Designer. An excellent boost for my resume. I loved the atmosphere of the huge company (so many names and faces to learn), the luxury break rooms and the fancy lobby.

I also enjoyed having a lot of down time with which to mess around on the internet and still get paid!

Cons

Priorities were constantly back and forth as there are so many folks in management that tend to clash. My department completely dissolved a few months after I left the company.

Advice to Management

Work on honing a global mission that includes a more cohesive structure concerning internal support teams.

2. Big revenues, boring tasks

Current Employee - Client Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Client Representative in Washington, DC

I have been working at Marsh full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge company with plenty of room to grow & move. With so many offices worldwide, you are able to really work where you'd like, if your position & experience allows it. Currently am working on going to Africa for a month with a former school group and working with Marsh to work remotely and with the African offices.

Cons

Very political, as you would expect from a company of this size. The tasks of a Client Rep are very boring, as you are basically half a step above an intern. It helps to learn the business, but be prepared for monotonous task. Also, a very rigid company. They call themselves the "Harvard of Insurance," and their track record stands behind it. That also means you get that stiff, sometimes stuck-up attitude from people.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to more of what happens behind the curtain, there have been times where the little things are looked past, and that can really ruin a company if done enough.

All about Marsh

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Marsh

Pros

Great access to data/industry expertise and resources. Marsh has a capability that is beyond compare in these areas.

Cons

Marsh has developed minimum standards for servicing placements. Some of these requirements are excellent and obviously needed. However, as far as servicing to the individual client, it often gets in the way of what might be in the best interest of the client by burdening the team with administrative work which hinders servicing needs.

Advice to Management

Marsh's practice of promoting from within is commendable. However, great insurance brokers do not make great managers. Often they are placed within the position without being prepared for the human relation requirements that are needed for the position. I would like to see training provided to these managers so they are prepared with the tools for the job. Invest in the human capital and they will take care of you.

Marsh Photos