Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition(in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management(in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place(in 8 reviews)

STAY AWAY from this company

Call Center (Former Employee) Norwood, MA

ProsNONE absolutely none whatsoever at this company

ConsRude management, favoritism, condescending employees and managers, long hours, not enough compensation for what is being done-horrible company horrible people, horrible horrible horrible-ANYWHERE is better than MMC

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that people are not know it-alls-and that they dont' like to be condescneded and told that they are doing EVERYTHING wrong!!! give a little credit where credit is due and don't be so critical of EVERYTHING-they are trying their best

NO RAISES AT THIS COMPANY FOR YEARS. Very little upward mobility. Low employee morale.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood work/life balance. Decent benefits. Good office location.

ConsThis company fails to tell you when they hire you that they have "frozen" raises for the past 5 years. They mislead you by saying that annual raises are given, when that is not the case. Nobody except for senior management gets a raise at this company, and they are handsomely paid. The company's excuse is the economic situation yet the company is doing very well financially. Upward mobility is hard to achieve, and you need to be extremely political and internally connected in order to move up. This company remains an old boys club and the few women that do get to senior leadership positions are even worse then the men. Employee morale is extremely low. Everyone is exasperated about the "raise freeze" and the apparent hiring freeze on much-needed administrative assistants.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees raises and make them feel valued rather than disposable. Put people who actually know how to "manage" in managerial positions.

Very political

Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe managing directors and SVP are very thorough in what they know. They believe in their team of employees.

ConsYou should tell people when you are hiring them as an consultant vs. full time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time having belief in your employees. This firm could do so much better in their marketing efforts if they knew how to market ideas to their employees instead thinking of them as second rate citizens.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible!!!! They are liars and cheats and cost people a way of living and send them to the unemployment line

Senior Executive Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNo pros. Just be honest with your employees.

ConsThe cons are that they do not know how to conduct business. They obviously have taking in courses in marketing, sales or business administration. This is the most wasteful financial company ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who have a desire to help the community in which they live in and not just volunteer because your name will get on the Marsh and McLennan newsletter. This company is so overrated.

fear based culture of incompetence managers

Senior Vice President (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ

Proszero expectations or account ability for mistakes, I never saw anyone penalized for making a mistake there, but people were continually criticized for doing their jobs

Consculture of fear and belittling, the angriest management team I've ever seen, much more interested in scoring points off of each other, than in contributing to the business

Terrible HR Department

Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThey try to value their employees by promoting from within. Working in recruitment I saw many times over that when a position would open up they would try to promote someone at a lower level. Compensation seemed to be competitive across the organization.

I had a good manager.

ConsTechnology is awful. The joke around the office is that if you start with a laptop on your first day then you're ahead of the game. Resources to help you get your job done are not easily accessible at all.

While I did meet some very nice people, I would say there were quite a large number of people I did not enjoy working with and I would hesitate to label a lot of the people there as "professionals". Many people are very catty, negative, quick to blame everyone else if something goes wrong, they tend to write unprofessional and snooty e-mails. A lot of talking behind each others backs (more-so than in other organizations). People are clearly over-worked and a lot of people seem to have a zombie-like look because they are worn out and don't want to be there. I don't think I ever really heard someone say they fully enjoyed working there. No one seems to know what is going on, responsibilities are often unclear and the question of "which department is this handled by?" gets asked VERY often. I'm not the only one that feels this way, many people that work there felt the same way.

I was on contract for 5 months and was miserable the majority of the time that I was there. They had me doing the work of two people then let me go and was told they were transitioning my responsibilities to someone else. I found out later they hired another temp to replace me? The quality of my work was fine considering all the things I had to deal with and keep track of, so that could not have been the reason to let me go. I was told that I was unable to log over-time hours unless those hours were prior-approved.

Had I been offered full-time employment I would have turned it down. I'm happier being unemployed than having to work in that environment. My advice would be to stay away and save yourself the headache.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a culture problem in this organization. For a company that has been around as long as MMC you should have had your act together a long time ago.

Worst Job in my life!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsNot family friendly at all, Managers unconserned with there employees. Lack of education on their Supplemental Insurances!!! I worked in collections for 2 years before this and would much rather work in collections than Marsh C.S.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should be on top of all insurances and be more family friendly!

Migraine Inducing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsEven when trying to be objective, it is tough to come up with a positive.

ConsFalse promises: From dual monitors to a new compensation plan, the only thing management followed through on was reworking the schedule so you're working unneeded overtime and more Saturdays.
    Underpaid: Low salary, no merit increases, horrible compensation for sales. I know of someone in the office who was making less than $100 more a paycheck after 6 years.
    No advancement opportunities: You will leave the company in the same role you were hired in at, plain and simple.
    Unprofessional Management: When your manager says "I don't play like that" in a meeting, you know you're in the wrong environment.
    Tardy occurrences: Yes, those things you got in high school for being 5 minutes late.
    Unreasonable: You have to use PTO for an appointment. You can only use that PTO and go to an appointment if there are less than 5 people (of 40 reps) taking the day off. How are you supposed to accomplish anything with that restriction?
    Management does not care about their employees: If it wasn't obvious from what was said above, there are plenty of other examples. Our input meant nothing. When forced OT was put on our schedule every Monday, there was no e-mail, no warning. We just showed up on that first Monday to find our lunch was cut to a half hour (it takes 20 minutes just to go out and get food), and a half hour added on to our schedule at the end of the day. Sure, an hour of OT is nothing. I worked 60 hours a week at my job prior to that. The reason I am upset is because the OT was not needed. We had no input on the matter. We would have all of the agents in our office sitting at our desks with no calls holding, just wanting to go home.

This may seem bitter, but when you wake up every morning dreading going to work and just praying for a way out, you know the company is run poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are adults, start treating them that way.

It's a Swamp

Producer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome great managers. Great diversity unlike most insurance brokers.

ConsNo raises. Poor service. Money is in management not sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within. All this outside talent you bring on board winds up getting canned anyway.

paper pusher for a managing director

Paper Pusher for Chief Risk Officer (Former Employee) Urbandale, IA

Prosthe cafeteria and the rented building

ConsManaging director has no idea what he is doing - lies, lies and more lies - the greater good should be called the greater farse.

Advice to Senior Managementcomplete the outsourcing you started and go away

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!