Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros:
  • "They try to respect work/life balance in many positions (not all)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Good benefits - particularly the health insurance"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management"
    in 13 reviews
  • "You can be expected to work long hours at times"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Former PCS Employee

Client Advisor (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMarsh employees are the best trained employees in the industry.

ConsLocal management seems to think they are above it all. They get away with treating hard working dedicated employees like dirt and even if employees file a complaint nothing is done about it by HR. And to add insult to injury those same managers get promoted and hard working valued employees get layed off.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure HR is documenting the employee complaints and pay attention, geez what does it take?

IT Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits were good, interesting work.

Conslarge company, bureaucracy overcame smaller company atmosphere that was there in the beginning

In my 20 years in the IT industry, this was the worst experience I've ever had. You will work a minimum of 65hrs/week.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

ProsThe people who stay are dedicated.

ConsThe amount of outsourcing to India is incredible. It's a security risk beyond measure, all customers, and employees of customers should take fair warning. All of your private data is sent to India via non-secure methods, included plain text email. Raising flags does nothing, because of a few managers getting kick-backs from the firm in India.

The operating companies have gotten their act together while Corporate is political and poorly managed

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat CEO, good benefits, reasonable work life balance. High collaboration across departments. Some of the operating companies increasingly reward talent.

ConsCorporate is full of politicians, who don't care about talent. Too many empty suits in important positions in Finance and HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the heads of all functions at corporate and get rid of the clueless ones. Base assessment of employees on achievement of outcomes, and not apearances.

Excellent

Staff Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe accounting department is very family oriented

ConsNone that I can think of

Decent company and people. Middle of the road salary and benefits

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

ProsWork life balance pretty good.

ConsProject work varies depending on position.

Deceptive and full of delusions

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProvides employment for the community

ConsExecutives are delusional and lack ethics. They LIVE IN A BUBBLE and are unable to stay focused on complex yet basic corporate tasks. No vision on why they exist (people, process or customer). BTW 2011-20xx leadership track record is poor! Inept (includes Sales and Operations) on leading complex business efforts allowing Urbandale to be successful with a solid business outcome. Consequentially Urbandale lost key people, lost big clients, revenue and ran up ALLOT of expense. High turnover as line staff gets laid off because customers leave and what remains is the bubble team (bullet-proof as have CEO mislead and confused). MMC recently did reorg but don't expect different results - same behaviors still exist; when faced with a challenge, bubble team goes underground; protocol now is to move the goal posts, identify blame and activate "death by PowerPoint". Next, managers and supervisors are pressured to focus on "bottom line" so they invoke unrealistic goals with fear and intimidation. Bubble team got no game! They have lost over $50M in revenue on 2 clients alone yet no one gets fired - bubble team is bullet proof because it exists throughout all Urbandale executive leadership. On the flip side; success has many fathers and expect to get trampled on 3rd floor as everyone is lined up to get recognition whereas failure is an orphan. Hand out titles like its fruit loops - by comparison AVP would be supervisor at respectable firm. Those with a conscience and integrity leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't run a business off a PowerPoint

Focus of What's Important at Marsh PCS Changes with Leadership Every Other Year - Hire This Year - Fire the Next Year!

Vice President (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits are Good, Tolerance of Diversity in the Workplace is a Plus for Those Who Need it; PTO is Excellent.

ConsPCS is only about sales goals and making them at any and all costs these days; Zone Leaders reduced from 5 who knew their areas down to 2 who are under so much pressure to perform for a CEO from a prior position at an auto parts business of all things! It's insulting!

Advice to Senior ManagementPut someone in charge at the top who knows what a high net worth client is truly looking for - not someone who just wants to put $100M in new business on the books at all costs. The true costs will be losing your top management people.

Excellent Company!!!!

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies as an intern for less than a year

ProsThere is a sense of family at this company and people enjoy their job very much. You'll never wake up and hate going to work. Supervisors don't micromanage you as the environment thrives on being an autonomous self-starter.

ConsNo cons, this is the most pleasant company I have ever worked for....

Advice to Senior ManagementTom, you're doing an excellent job!!!!!

Too much management change

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
Hoboken, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat opportunities to do technical work

ConsNo strategic direction and vision

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the direction set from previous management and build on top of it, rather than reinventing the wheel

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Marsh & McLennan Companies – Why Work for Us?

Marsh and McLennan Companies is the premier global professional services firm, providing advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and human capital. Through our market leading brands: Marsh, Oliver Wyman… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marsh & McLennan Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser. All 269 reviews posted anonymously by Marsh & McLennan Companies employees.