Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition(in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management(in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place(in 8 reviews)

Stable company with good opportunities for growth.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat leadership. The location and overall benefit package is great. Dan Glaser has done a great job of turning this company around.

ConsThe performance review process needs to be improved. Hard to determine how colleague progress is being measured. There needs to be more objectivity in evaluating performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome key leaders are out of touch.

Great Place to Grow

Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsWorked at Marsh within an IT leadership position and found it very rewarding to be a part of a team that wanted to make a difference. The people and senior leaders at Marsh are very organized and genuinely care about the internal and external impacts of decisions made. Huge opportunity for growth within a large corporation.

ConsAnalysis Paralysis. The teams need to get out of their own way so tasks can get finished. Death by meeting also marred the experience a bit. Process perfection was touted even at the expense of project completion which is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes you need to step aside and let your leaders lead. Micromanagement does not have a place when there is so much work to be done.

A great place to work so long as you sell, but don't expect a lot of support developing other skills.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsUpbeat, professional environment. Leadership tends to let middle management run the show. Charitable focus. Competitive salary.

ConsSenior management can lose focus, allowing for some bad decisions to be made at the operational level. Commitment to employees, teamwork and winning seems to have been lost within MMA.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to doing the things that worked in the past. Such as incenting employees at all levels, encouraging employees and teamwork, and guiding middle management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Pay, Poor Management

Policy Analyst (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorked for Marsh Inc. as a Policy Reviewer for a new hub opening in Austin. Attention to detail demanding, okay folks, benefits and pay were great.

ConsUnfortunate power plays and politics between departments and hubs, their inability to communicate caused a failing and closure of the hub.

Advice to Senior ManagementSolidify policies and practices before instituting a new department and foster communication and compliance between QA and review departments.

Great experience but unorganized company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSeveral co-workers were very good at what they do
    Compensation was competitive

ConsUnorganized management at corporate level
    Technology was terrible - prohibited an efficient working environment
    Negative attitude amongst employees - not very happy

Advice to Senior ManagementManage workloads accordingly
    More team building - everyone seems to be caught up in there work

Great company to work

ProsHealth Benefits, Generous Vacation Time.

ConsNone; I am glad to work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone; No issues with management.

Polished environment

Information Technology (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat atmosphere, polished environment, overall great place for your next career move. I would recommend more training for current roles so employees after several years do not become more stagnated.

ConsAfter several years you can become stagnated if you do not seek other career avenues within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say more training to develop skills so the employee can expand his role and be a better contributor. Have senior management build more communication avenues to better understand the role there employees need to fulfill there job expectations.

Very Good company

Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsIt has Global Oppertunities and various resorces.

ConsCompany is too big, felt that there is big black hole.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease think well and deep when you want to make a change.

Good company with good people

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat Work culture in the office

Consbonus is less than I would expect

Advice to Senior Managementno current advice to managment

Losing Talent and Focus

ProsMarsh is a Global company with an abundance of resources and analytics available to clients. I've been at other top-ranked brokerage firms and Marsh, by far, surpasses the others in talent and resources.

ConsIn an effort to change the industry and create efficiencies they have lost sight of what's most important, our clients. Second to our clients are our colleagues who generally feel overworked, severely undervalued and completely expendable. Rather than allowing us to provide quality service to our clients they only create additional barriers.

Staffing - we are constantly having to do more with less and it's clear management has no clue what it takes to provide "best in class" service that elite firms provide. If you're a producer it's even harder to negotiate fees with clients when you're constantly losing key team members and there are hurdles to provide any analytics to your clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry actually talking to colleagues who are in the trenches. Supposedly this was done as part of the new technology role out however they have completely missed the boat. Perhaps put on the breaks before things get even worse? Don't roll out initiatives if they don't work just to check them off your list to show it was completed.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!