Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros:
  • "They try to respect work/life balance in many positions (not all)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Good benefits - particularly the health insurance"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management"
    in 13 reviews
  • "You can be expected to work long hours at times"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies

ProsMarsh is a great place to work

ConsLarge corporation - need to make yourself standout

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Terrible!!!! They are liars and cheats and cost people a way of living and send them to the unemployment line

Senior Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNo pros. Just be honest with your employees.

ConsThe cons are that they do not know how to conduct business. They obviously have taking in courses in marketing, sales or business administration. This is the most wasteful financial company ever.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who have a desire to help the community in which they live in and not just volunteer because your name will get on the Marsh and McLennan newsletter. This company is so overrated.

fear based culture of incompetence managers

Senior Vice President (Former Employee)
Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

Proszero expectations or account ability for mistakes, I never saw anyone penalized for making a mistake there, but people were continually criticized for doing their jobs

Consculture of fear and belittling, the angriest management team I've ever seen, much more interested in scoring points off of each other, than in contributing to the business

Got out at the right time

Client Representative (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits were good. Lots of networking opportunities - I think it is still true that at the top levels we have some of the best minds in the business.

ConsConstant restructuring. Communication between levels not always transparent. Very little thought given to providing any sort of work/life balance to employees. 24/7 expected. Even in 2013, with smartphones and a paperless environment, they require you to live in a major city in order to have any advancement opportunities. Smart people live in places other than Manhattan.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop applying the one size fits all approach across industries and geographies.

NOC engineer

NOC Engineer (Current Employee)
Louisville, KY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

ProsGenerous time off (can choose 3x12, 4x10, or 5x8 work schedule). Good pay.

ConsBoring, repetitive work. Frustrating bureaucracy. No path for upward mobility. No training.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement would neither solicit nor heed advice.

Overall a good place to work. Constantly transitioning though and technology lags behind.

Accounts Payable Supervisor (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood opportunities to grow your career. Good people to work with. Flexible company and good benefits.

ConsWe do not have adequate technology to perform our jobs. Constantly changing things - consolidating, moving departments, outsourcing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing just to change.

Certificate Specialist at Marsh McLennan in Austin, TX

Certificate Specialist (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for less than a year

ProsMarsh McLennan was very welcoming when I started. I was excited to get benefits after 30 days. The people were nice and the Austin office is cool.

ConsAfter 2 weeks of in class training, they give a test. I scored very close to the passing grade but they let me go. No wonder they are always looking for people. High turnover is what I gathered when I was working there. The pay is not good at all for the amount of stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement seems really nice. I think the Certificate Specialist tests should be a bit easier. The actual cases are less hard than the actual tests given.

Terrible HR Department

Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThey try to value their employees by promoting from within. Working in recruitment I saw many times over that when a position would open up they would try to promote someone at a lower level. Compensation seemed to be competitive across the organization.

I had a good manager.

ConsTechnology is awful. The joke around the office is that if you start with a laptop on your first day then you're ahead of the game. Resources to help you get your job done are not easily accessible at all.

While I did meet some very nice people, I would say there were quite a large number of people I did not enjoy working with and I would hesitate to label a lot of the people there as "professionals". Many people are very catty, negative, quick to blame everyone else if something goes wrong, they tend to write unprofessional and snooty e-mails. A lot of talking behind each others backs (more-so than in other organizations). People are clearly over-worked and a lot of people seem to have a zombie-like look because they are worn out and don't want to be there. I don't think I ever really heard someone say they fully enjoyed working there. No one seems to know what is going on, responsibilities are often unclear and the question of "which department is this handled by?" gets asked VERY often. I'm not the only one that feels this way, many people that work there felt the same way.

I was on contract for 5 months and was miserable the majority of the time that I was there. They had me doing the work of two people then let me go and was told they were transitioning my responsibilities to someone else. I found out later they hired another temp to replace me? The quality of my work was fine considering all the things I had to deal with and keep track of, so that could not have been the reason to let me go. I was told that I was unable to log over-time hours unless those hours were prior-approved.

Had I been offered full-time employment I would have turned it down. I'm happier being unemployed than having to work in that environment. My advice would be to stay away and save yourself the headache.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a culture problem in this organization. For a company that has been around as long as MMC you should have had your act together a long time ago.

MMC helps you stomach the grossness of Corporate America

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

ProsGood salary
Nice people
They try to respect work/life balance in many positions (not all)
They hire artists
Great benefits
Access to a lot of education

ConsCorporate America is disgusting
Kind of cheap w/ basic office perks unless you are on top exec floor

Advice to Senior ManagementI loved my management. Worked in the corporate legal dept. and they were respectful and kind.

Worst Job in my life!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsNot family friendly at all, Managers unconserned with there employees. Lack of education on their Supplemental Insurances!!! I worked in collections for 2 years before this and would much rather work in collections than Marsh C.S.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should be on top of all insurances and be more family friendly!

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Marsh & McLennan Companies – Why Work for Us?

Marsh and McLennan Companies is the premier global professional services firm, providing advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and human capital. Through our market leading brands: Marsh, Oliver Wyman… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marsh & McLennan Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser. All 268 reviews posted anonymously by Marsh & McLennan Companies employees.