Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014

3.2

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Informative

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great place to work, wonderful people

Cons

Not to many options for career growth

Great pace to work.

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Great people nice company to work for.

Cons

growth would be better for the staff.

N/A

VERY GOOD PLACE TO GO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to learn related experience fast

Cons

Professional training! Realize your personal value here!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very stressful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large company with great benefits. The holiday schedule is great. The amount of vacation, sick and floating holidays is great.

Cons

Management stinks. Working for a large company leaves some of us falling through the cracks.
    The company advocates transparency but there are things going on the department I work in that if higher ups were to find out they would probably blow a gasket.

Pay more attention to who you hire and what they bring to the table. If all they bring is drama and problems perhaps you shouldn't hire them. Someone with some college or a college degree should only be considered for this job.

Old school thought process

Former Employee - Benefit Administrative  in  Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Benefit Administrative in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not many, they are not willing to change or listen to new ideas.

Cons

No raises
    Lack of communication and follow through
    Can't keep their clients as they do not wish to improve their methods

Corporate Benefits Department - Avoid like the plague

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One can gain valuable work experience in a very tall organisational structure. High volume of data and work to do.
    Great for actuaries, accountants and math nerds.

Cons

This was the worst place that I have ever worked. It has an astronomically high Power Distance Ratio.
    In the Benefits Dept., workers get to see the 4-figure bonuses executives make (over 100k salary), whereas non-exempt employees basically got zilch. Middle management was very very derisive towards 'inferiors'. Employees had feuds lasting for years and refused to speak to one another outside of required interaction/meetings. Lower- echelon workers were expected to be slaves. I even heard a well-paid attorney say in front of the VP of benefit's administrative assistant: ".... your grossly underpaid assistant." And the evp said nothing. It made me want to wretch. There was much strife, so much, in fact that they brought in an external consultant to help sort out the lack of 'esprit de coeur'. As other reviews have stated, drawbacks include an entrenched 'old boys' club', no opportunity to put your hand to diverse tasks, extremely uneven compensation. Working there you are just a number. No professional development.

Consider how efficient daily operations would be without the 'little people' you so thoroughly scorn.

Worst job

Former Employee - Data Analyst  in  Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nothing was good, except compensating time when working oncall

Cons

Horrible hours, worked you like a slave driver, niche jobs (no moving up from within) and bad pay

Could have had better compensations/pay and lay off the fear based management

Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Service Specialist II  in  Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Service Specialist II in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no positive things to say about working here!

Cons

No raises, focused more on rewarding management than those actually doing the work

You need to realize who is actually doing the work and stop rewarding those who aren't!

Great people! Workload issues. Clearly value external over internal candidates

Former Employee - Insurance Broker
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits, awesome health plan, smart, fun co-workers, many opportunities to learn subject matter very well

Cons

Value external candidates over internal candidates, everyone is overworked and stressed, you can only get the salary for your peer-group if you threaten to leave, poor performers are not fired, just starved out.

Stop trying to 100% de-risk your business. It sends a message to clients that you aren't willing to stand by your work and puts you in a vulnerable position. Clients will start to think "Gee, if I am constantly being told I have to check my broker's work, why shouldn't an online quote service do this same thing?? I thought I was paying for expertise??"

Stop burning out your best people, they are the product you are selling.

Give some actual power to give promotions, make compensation decisions, and fire people etc. to office heads, zone leaders, or even managers. Its very clear their hands are 100% tied to do right by their best people.

Fantastic Employer, with great colleagues

Pros

Great Colleagues. The benefits are amazing and the leadership is the best in the industry. The company is worldwide and has more of a partnership philosophy. The colleagues in my office have an average of 25 years experience in the industry and take pride in their job. The knowledge among the colleagues and teams are a huge asset and a great resource.

Cons

The challenges are the company is large and there a several processes to work through get a simple task completed. This in result makes it very difficult to manage a task or project in a timely manner.

Listen to those who are out there actually working with the clients. Those individuals know what the clients want and how they want the services delivered.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!