Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

3.2
Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Very little thought given to providing any sort of work/life balance to employees (in 5 reviews)

1. Great employees and competitive pay, too political

Current Employee - Service Desk Second Line, Knowledge & Training Analyst in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I've worked with at this company are some of the best and most professional I've had the opportunity to meet. The pay is very competitive and there is room for growth.

Cons

The higher in the company you go, you realize that every decision is based on political reasons, not wanting to lose face in front of certain people, etc. Colleagues tend to feel overworked, asked to do too much with too little.

Advice to Management

Listen to the colleagues when they say that there is a lack of resources, and invest in hiring more top talent. Don't sacrifice good service and updated knowledge in order to hit an arbitrary metric.

2. Great corporation and people

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

All of the people were professional and driven to give the best service to their clients. The benefits were very good at the time and I would welcome an opportunity to work there again.

Cons

Sometimes I do not enjoy the corporate "games" with competing offices and direction. Also, I traveled a great deal and although stayed at the best hotels, missed my family.

Advice to Management

Keep in touch with employees and their families. Working hard is a given when working for the top brokerage in the U.S.. Staying flexible for family life is imperative. Keep happy!

3. Global Systems Managert

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradley Beach, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bradley Beach, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies (More than a year)

Pros

A good corporation to work at

Cons

Work-life balance is often not appropriate

5. Great company to work for! They work you hard but the people you work with make it worthwhile they strive for success

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Pay, Benefits, People, Corporate Social Responsibility, Diverse

Cons

Long Hours, Old School

Survival of the Fittest and the Lucky

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Knowledgeable colleagues who know their stuff
    - Many opportunities to grow skills/learn
    - Challenging and varied assignments
    - Flexible working environment and often the ability to work remotely.
    -They have treated me well enough over the years that I have lasted 13 years so far.

Cons

- Luck of draw effect...some of the Pros depend on where you end up and who you work for
    - Workload can sometimes be overwhelming
    - Some of those knowledgeable colleagues are kind of hard to work for.
    - Performance Ratings system is a joke...rigged game designed to reward a select few.
    - If you're an expert and you deliver great work, it doesn't matter, you're still a second class citizen compared to the colleague that made sales.
    -Company is run by bean counters who panic on a monthly basis about financials and demand billable hours forecasts from all Associates.
    -Career growth is difficult if you don't want to sell. Many people make it to Principal and then turtle up....doing the minimum to make their sales and revenue targets
    - 13 years here, but the trend to me seems generally negative. Salary, benefits, Bonus, and continued career growth, all seem uncertain

Advice to Management

Value the work first. Invest in the best people doing the best work and the clients will come

7. You work extremely hard on frustrating work and do not get compensated fairly.

Current Employee - Client Service Analyst I in Norwood, MA
    Current Employee - Client Service Analyst I in Norwood, MA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are nice, there is a cafeteria on site, plenty of parking, you can learn a lot since you have a lot of responsibilities. Good resume builder.

Cons

Over worked, under compensated, senior leaders are cliquey. Systems are so old. Very high expectations that don't get rewarded for.

Advice to Management

If you want to attract and retain the best talent, the $ needs to be there. Everyone is trying to leave right now.

8. very fair

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

allows you to follow your own initiative

Cons

can be slow for approvals

Advice to Management

work to maintain existing employees

Review

Pros

Stable company with great benefits and good opportunities.

Cons

Too much overhead in the layers between mid and upper and upper management.

Advice to Management

Too many "management" or other highly paid positions between corporate and geography. Also, need to pace change better in order to not overload with initiatives that are non-revenue generating.

10. Not the greatest company, but not the worst either

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is relatively good here and there's lots of room for growth and advancement (if you fight for it). Most of the people here are exceptionally smart, friendly, and pleasant to work with. There's no formal training given in most departments but teammates are always willing to teach or help you if you ask. I would say the corporate culture here is pretty laidback. There's casual Fridays, occasional team luncheons, and celebratory happy hours. Can't say much regarding time-off policy but it seems to be fairly standard. Diversity of employees and corporate discounts are nice too here.

Cons

Lots of work and long days (sometimes even weekends). You are worked to the bone here, but I think most companies are like that nowadays. Processes are slow to change, sometimes unnecessarily convoluted, and often difficult to follow closely. Leadership here seems to be a little narrow-minded to me but the company does make their numbers every quarter. Benefit packages seem to be OK but I think more incentives could be offered to employees.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain your employees and keep them working hard, you need to offer more money or better incentives. Also, I would encourage you to offer more opportunities for team-building, creativity, and fun. It could go a long way with your employees.

11. started in 2012

Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a big company with lots of global mobility opportunities

Cons

you need to work very hard to keep you job, the turnover rate is high in Finance departments

Advice to Management

More focus on the emerging markets

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos