Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition(in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management(in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place(in 8 reviews)

Great people! Workload issues. Clearly value external over internal candidates

Insurance Broker (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, awesome health plan, smart, fun co-workers, many opportunities to learn subject matter very well

ConsValue external candidates over internal candidates, everyone is overworked and stressed, you can only get the salary for your peer-group if you threaten to leave, poor performers are not fired, just starved out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to 100% de-risk your business. It sends a message to clients that you aren't willing to stand by your work and puts you in a vulnerable position. Clients will start to think "Gee, if I am constantly being told I have to check my broker's work, why shouldn't an online quote service do this same thing?? I thought I was paying for expertise??"

Stop burning out your best people, they are the product you are selling.

Give some actual power to give promotions, make compensation decisions, and fire people etc. to office heads, zone leaders, or even managers. Its very clear their hands are 100% tied to do right by their best people.

It is a great company, but the department I work in needs to be evaluated for efficiency.

ProsLarge company who had withstood the down economy with very little layoffs.

ConsLarge company that means you and your work doesn't get easily noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Fantastic Employer, with great colleagues

ProsGreat Colleagues. The benefits are amazing and the leadership is the best in the industry. The company is worldwide and has more of a partnership philosophy. The colleagues in my office have an average of 25 years experience in the industry and take pride in their job. The knowledge among the colleagues and teams are a huge asset and a great resource.

ConsThe challenges are the company is large and there a several processes to work through get a simple task completed. This in result makes it very difficult to manage a task or project in a timely manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who are out there actually working with the clients. Those individuals know what the clients want and how they want the services delivered.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, needs work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary and Bonuses
    Benefits (although declining)
    Great culture

ConsLack of leadership
    Dinosaur to make anything happen

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Very satisfied with my job, then it went offshore

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, plenty of PTO, good salary (except raises) no micro management, great teamwork and nice office.

ConsMy position was "eliminated". In reality it went to India. Job is paperless so the only thing the company was looking to do was save a few bucks in wages. A company with 14+ billion revenue would rather have cheap labor than keep good loyal employees. I have seen so many good employees laid off. I was hoping to retire from Marsh in a few years. Now I am looking for another job.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees for what they know and not how cheap they can be paid. The end result will be clients will go elsewhere costing the company more.

Great company and great culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Brooklyn Park, MN

ProsIt is an environment where new ideas are encouraged and considered. They truly value their employees.

ConsI had a manager that was tough to work for and had a bad reputation in the organization. However this is not the case with most everyone else.

Worst Place ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are not any good reasons to work here.

ConsUpper management sucks!!!! They pay millions in compensation packages to fired, ineffective CEO's when they could be passing that down to the people who actually do the work for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of your $%^^% and realize who keeps your company running and quit padding the pockets of management who does NOTHING!!!!

Awful

Operations Analyst/Certificate Specialist (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBenefits, benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits

ConsOverworked and way under paid

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation to employees who constantly go above and beyond and help retain accounts

Former Employee of 17 yrs.

Senior Client Representative (Former Employee)

ProsAccess to high profile Fortune 100 clients. Great co-workers with wide range of experience. Good benefits and paid time off is generous.

ConsOutsourcing duties such as Accounts Payable to INDIA. Constant changes to software. Trying to produce an invoice and get it turned around within a day is almost impossible. Too much red tape! Below average raises for mid-tier employees. Communication from top to bottom is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop re-inventing systems Mdoc's etc...every 3-4 yrs. A new platfort/system will roll out but still has kinks that need to be fixed and little support to fix it in a timely fashion. Bring back jobs to the US so that when you do need to speak to someone in accounts payable that you can understand their English. Reward those employees that go above and beyond (more then a 3% raise!).

Don't stay here!

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsMet plenty of hardworking, decent people. Unfortunately, they are not appreciated.

ConsUnhappy place to work. Mobbing and bullying is rampant.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with respect and show your appreciation once in a while. Overhaul management.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!