Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Apr 20, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros:
  • "They try to respect work/life balance in many positions (not all)"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Good benefits - particularly the health insurance"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management"
    in 13 reviews
  • "You can be expected to work long hours at times"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Tax Attorney

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company is a great place to work. Fantastic benefits and a great work-life balance. Smart people and not too political. Tons of vacation time and separate sick days makes it very accommodating. Subsidized cafeteria makes lunch cheap, and in-building gym is super convenient. Super stable environment and company. Great for someone not looking for a crazy lifestyle.

ConsI didn't find any cons, except for the slow pace - at times it can be inert. Bonuses didn't increase, nor did salaries.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp create more projects for everyone to keep people busy. Give them real goals. And deadlines. Create more cross-department interaction and training programs - anything to bring more visibility between departments.

sd

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

ProsGreat folks and culture f

ConsNot very exciting environment n

Be patient

Placement Specialist (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsLargest broker in the world. Segmented groups allow for greater focus and expertise. The majority of employees have positive attitudes and enjoy what they do. Numerous employees that left the firm have come back proving that the grass isn't always greener.

ConsCorporate structure can be slow at times. Not necessarily a con, but you will need to be patient to see large pay increase.

Employees are asked to do more and more, for the same salary.

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits and working hours

ConsWork overload, too much to do, not enough time

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember those who perform the "grunt work"

Do not value their employees

Processing Specialist (Former Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe starting pay for individuals without any experience in a brokerage firm is competitive.

ConsThey DO NOT offer annual raises or cost of living adjustments, despite what they say in the interview process. It is extremely difficult to advance and they, again despite what they claim, DO NOT value education or pay more for higher education.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs to unite. There is a "us versus them" attitude between the client advisers (sales) and the operations community. The sales side receives bonuses, raises, and a higher base pay, whereas the operations side is told that they are lucky to have a position and do not merit additional pay.

its ok, not the worst job in the world

Local Technology Coordinator (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

Prosdecent pay, nice boss, lots of PTO , ok benifits, pension plan

Consnot exposed to enough new tech

Salary Good, but too internally focused

Client Advisor (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsSalary is good, local management is great, but corporate focus on internal processes and procedures makes client service a secondary goal, if that. Driven to automate to drive down costs and increase shareholder value.

ConsInternal focus, lack of support, systems that do not work but employees are encouraged and rewarded for saying that they do. Spin machine in full use at all times.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to what Marsh was known for. Superior people, superior service, and work-life balance for colleagues.

Horrible, not at all what i sold during the interview process.

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than a year

ProsCorporate Structure
On Site Cafe
Broad locations worldwide

ConsPay/Rewards
Politics - For success you must join in with the fake management onboard. I refused to play on the team.
Too much red tape, very management heavy. It takes 5 weeks to get anything done
Lots of waste- management, processes, system
Systems and programs are from 1990 or earlier

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe work to remove some of the inefficient management from the top and things will shift in the right direction.
Invest in your technology, 1990 systems should be long gone if you want to become an winning organization.

Stable company with good opportunities for growth.

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat leadership. The location and overall benefit package is great. Dan Glaser has done a great job of turning this company around.

ConsThe performance review process needs to be improved. Hard to determine how colleague progress is being measured. There needs to be more objectivity in evaluating performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome key leaders are out of touch.

Great Place to Grow

Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorked at Marsh within an IT leadership position and found it very rewarding to be a part of a team that wanted to make a difference. The people and senior leaders at Marsh are very organized and genuinely care about the internal and external impacts of decisions made. Huge opportunity for growth within a large corporation.

ConsAnalysis Paralysis. The teams need to get out of their own way so tasks can get finished. Death by meeting also marred the experience a bit. Process perfection was touted even at the expense of project completion which is not good.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes you need to step aside and let your leaders lead. Micromanagement does not have a place when there is so much work to be done.

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!

Marsh & McLennan Companies – Why Work for Us?

Marsh and McLennan Companies is the premier global professional services firm, providing advice and solutions in the areas of risk, strategy and human capital. Through our market leading brands: Marsh, Oliver Wyman… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marsh & McLennan Companies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marsh & McLennan Companies CEO Daniel S. Glaser. All 271 reviews posted anonymously by Marsh & McLennan Companies employees.