Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated January 22, 2015
3.3

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Very little thought given to providing any sort of work/life balance to employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

started in 2012

Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a big company with lots of global mobility opportunities

Cons

you need to work very hard to keep you job, the turnover rate is high in Finance departments

More focus on the emerging markets

I work at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a Local Technology Coordinator.

Current Employee - Local Technology Coordinator in Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    Current Employee - Local Technology Coordinator in Buenos Aires (Argentina)

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Top insurance brokerage firm. Constant change. and Work schedule is typically flexible and there are allowances for working from home depending of the Manager.

Cons

A lot of Burocracy. and somethimes There is no work life balance.

Culture

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Ethical and very professional organization.

Cons

New management maybe less people oriented

An effective sales professiona and team player, catering to corporate accounts and institutional organizations.

Former Employee - AVP-Sales Professional in Taguig (Philippines)
    Former Employee - AVP-Sales Professional in Taguig (Philippines)

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

It was an advantage to work for a global leader in consultancy and broking functions that adhered to maintaining the best ethical practices in client-management.

Cons

Nothing to mention at this point.

To continue implementing the Marsh and Mclennan ethics and advocacies.

Morale taking a nose dive, no one seems to care.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Sharp Colleagues
    Great Clients
    Resource specialists
    Unique and engaging projects

Cons

Work life balance is a joke - consultants often on road 75% of time
    Lots of quality staff leaving
    Dated technology
    Arrogant senior leadership
    Poor or zero raises past 6 years
    Last year have seen a palpable shift from management whereby share price outweighs employee morale/satisfaction/burnout

You are overlooking the contributions of your client facing staff for the sake of analytics.

Great company with lots of opportunity

Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Marsh has established itself as a powerhouse in the marketplace. People recognize that and they can use that leverage to their benefit. The culture and company values are great. The company really cares about their people, and it is always priority number one. Leadership is the best in the business, and they are always looking to better the company, their employees, and grow. There is also lots of potential to move laterally into many different sectors of the company if you do your due diligence.

Cons

If you are in an entry-level position, the compensation and time off are not ideal. However, you know what you are getting into. It takes a little longer than expected to move into a promotion or another role in the company. Everything at this company takes awhile to gain movement, as in they are slow to make decisions.

Not good, not bad

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Mercer employees are very smart and motivated

Cons

There is no work life balance.

Turn over is very high - take that seriously.

Good management team; Worst business partners evers

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I worked in Chicago so the location and facilities were great. My direct management team was very supportive of my work and gave me flexibility to do my job although it involved long days with evening and weekend work.

Cons

Company way too big and disjointed. Managers in other business units usually expected unrealistic turnaround times and if you didn't respond the same day, your management team was sometimes notified. Business partners didn't want to be bothered with questions that didn't pertain to their roles, They perceived that as you not knowing how to do your job and let your management team know that it was a inconvenience and that they also didn't appreciate it. Essentially, there was no spirit of collaboration and/or teamwork. There was no aspirations of working in unison. Managers in other departments typically provided an environment of fear and intimidation that went unchecked. It was all about instant results. In the brokerage world, that is the nature but there has to be realistic expectations. And forget about the work/life balance - it didn't exist. Although the benefits and compensation were good, it wasn't enough to keep me there which is probably the reason they had them in the first place. This was perhaps the most stressful environment I've ever worked in and I've worked with some very well recognized and respectable companies. Unfortunately, my management team was under constant fire and backlash to the point they couldn't manage effectively so I wish my experience would have been more profitable.

Wake up... Your company will not sustain itself with this type of corporate culture and this culture seems to pride itself on "intelligence" while all the while promoting intolerance. There is a new generation of contemporaries out here that will not accept this style of leadership and will find work in other places. Do you hear what is being said?

A challenging environment where Creativity & Innovation is not embraced

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

The compensation and benefits are very attractive, but only if you get into a management role.

Cons

Resources are often over overloaded. Projects delivery dates are often backed into a date that management wants to achieve without fully rationalizing and evaluating the real effort needed to get the project completed properly.

Taking the time to fully understand and estimate the effort for a given project is key to its success. Cutting corners, reducing scope, and skipping valuable steps all leads to the delivery of a subpar performing product or solution. Taking the time to do things the right way from the beginning will greatly reduce the amount of time and effort needed for support and maintenance going forward.

Overall, positive experience

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you like to be busy, this is the place to be. Constant change = constant (and often crazy) work. Work schedule is typically flexible and there are allowances for working from home.

Cons

If you don't play politics, don't expect to get ahead here. There is somewhat of a 'group think' mentality here. Because of this, no one wants to make tough decisions and projects tend to drag out.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos