Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Career High

Assistant Vice-President (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB (Canada)

ProsCompensation, collaborative culture, professionalism, global opportunities

ConsCompliance can bog down the truly meaningful work, but it's minor and necessary

Data Administrator

Pros- Working with immedatiate team members is positive
    - Great flexibility with vacation - except for month end
    -Christmas gatherings

Cons- Very little room for growth for employees at the lower end of the scale.
    - HUGE communication gap among colleagues.
    - Some employees tend to pawn off the work onto other colleagues and fear change and do not embrace new business processes. Senior veterans who have been with the company for ages cannot think outside the box and thus tend to like a lot of hand holding.

Advice to Senior Management-Give credit where credit is due. The company boasts about further learning and career development but management needs to reinforce this and look out for every employee under their wing. This should not be limited to individuals with senior roles.
    -Improve communication within deparments and make sure the message conveyed is uniform.
    -Consider revising the compensation matrix for all departments. Upper management tend to get bigger pay increases and bonuses, while the reamining employees get a 1% raise. In today's economy, the base salary for junior roles are well under the poverty line which is unfair. Take home pay amounts to nothing.
    - Look past the politics and power trip. Employees need to get the work done right to make the environment a good workplace for everyone.

Good in the beginning, awful after "so called" transformation

Recruiter (Current Employee)

ProsIn major markets, it is good to have this company on your resume. In smaller markets, companies don't know who we are.

ConsOutsourcing many functions to India or moving functions to cheaper parts of the country. This only saves money up front but the loss of knowledge and good talent is more expensive. They need to quit letting people with knowledge leave only to hire replacements that do not know what they are doing. Specifically to Recruiting, managers need to quit accusing and blaming people with false and inaccurate information. If you are looking to Recruit, this is not good environment to work in presently. Heavily overworked and understaffed employees. There is no real advancement for anyone in Recruiting.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is a great company, but the department I work in needs to be evaluated for efficiency.

ProsLarge company who had withstood the down economy with very little layoffs.

ConsLarge company that means you and your work doesn't get easily noticed.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees.

Great company to work for!

Local Technology Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsWorking in IT is never boring- competitive pay, job security, and daily challenges to keep work interesting.

ConsYou work with people who have just become used to their daily routines, can be extremely condescending to support staff, and are already somewhat jaded with their expectations (even though they also refuse to follow processes). Being client facing tends to be a "punching bag" role that quickly gets old. People tend to become "buddy-buddy" to skip procedure yet tend to not know your name.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you do.

Great people! Workload issues. Clearly value external over internal candidates

Insurance Broker (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, awesome health plan, smart, fun co-workers, many opportunities to learn subject matter very well

ConsValue external candidates over internal candidates, everyone is overworked and stressed, you can only get the salary for your peer-group if you threaten to leave, poor performers are not fired, just starved out.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to 100% de-risk your business. It sends a message to clients that you aren't willing to stand by your work and puts you in a vulnerable position. Clients will start to think "Gee, if I am constantly being told I have to check my broker's work, why shouldn't an online quote service do this same thing?? I thought I was paying for expertise??"

Stop burning out your best people, they are the product you are selling.

Give some actual power to give promotions, make compensation decisions, and fire people etc. to office heads, zone leaders, or even managers. Its very clear their hands are 100% tied to do right by their best people.

Work hard, play hard! If you like the pressure and buzz, you'll succeed here

Senior Vice President (Current Employee) Milton Keynes, England (UK)

ProsCompensation and benefits
    Leadership and vision
    Company profile and external recognition
    Global brand
    Strong ethical values & excellent diversity and inclusion drive

Cons1) Some existing employees have been here to long and are stopping the new leadership to implement the much required change. Stop moaning and move on guys, let us make this place better without your nagging...
    2) Brand could be a bit more visible externally
    3) work life balance....hmmm...that's tricky, however again if you want to progress and get to the top this is a sacrifice in many other organisations too

Advice to Senior ManagementBe tougher on low perfromers and sickness to create room for people who would love the opportunity to work here!

Worst Place ever

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere are not any good reasons to work here.

ConsUpper management sucks!!!! They pay millions in compensation packages to fired, ineffective CEO's when they could be passing that down to the people who actually do the work for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your heads out of your $%^^% and realize who keeps your company running and quit padding the pockets of management who does NOTHING!!!!

MGTI : Milton Keynes - A Fear based environment & perception based actions/reactions

FLA At MGTI (Current Employee) Milton Keynes, England (UK)

ProsI'm only speaking of the IT Dept MGTI based in Milton Keynes : This is a really huge company, that DOES have a large number of vacancies, and at times has some really great things to offer any employee. To gain extremely recognizable Corporate experience... this is a good place to be.

ConsI'm only speaking of the IT Dept MGTI based in Milton Keynes : The environment is fear based. It's very questioning and demanding of answers when things go wrong, with very little being learned from this.

A large number of workplace decisions are based on perception. Rarely do people ask questions about that perception, to make sure, there is actual fact. But, this isn't even something that's hidden... Some managers seem proud of this. Frequently in my early days I was told by my management team "perception is everything"...

There is a significant case of "old boys club" going on here. You can not be fantastic at the real meat and gravy of your role, so long as you remember two things... The rule about perception, and being on great terms with certain members of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerception IS an excellent tool, but only to decide what questions to ask. It shouldn't be used to judge people, or make decisions.

Awful

Operations Analyst/Certificate Specialist (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBenefits, benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits

ConsOverworked and way under paid

Advice to Senior ManagementShow appreciation to employees who constantly go above and beyond and help retain accounts

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!