Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated December 18, 2014
3.2

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Very little thought given to providing any sort of work/life balance to employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Losing Talent and Focus

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Marsh is a Global company with an abundance of resources and analytics available to clients. I've been at other top-ranked brokerage firms and Marsh, by far, surpasses the others in talent and resources.

Cons

In an effort to change the industry and create efficiencies they have lost sight of what's most important, our clients. Second to our clients are our colleagues who generally feel overworked, severely undervalued and completely expendable. Rather than allowing us to provide quality service to our clients they only create additional barriers.

Staffing - we are constantly having to do more with less and it's clear management has no clue what it takes to provide "best in class" service that elite firms provide. If you're a producer it's even harder to negotiate fees with clients when you're constantly losing key team members and there are hurdles to provide any analytics to your clients.

Try actually talking to colleagues who are in the trenches. Supposedly this was done as part of the new technology role out however they have completely missed the boat. Perhaps put on the breaks before things get even worse? Don't roll out initiatives if they don't work just to check them off your list to show it was completed.

First day in the field "criers are buyers"

Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can work when ever you want, but that is only because you are paid on commission, although they want you in the office 2 days a week and 3 days in the field.

Cons

You will make money if you have no problem being pushy and underhanded. Don't expect any help after you trial period is up.

Pyramid style old boys club.

In my 20 years in the IT industry, this was the worst experience I've ever had. You will work a minimum of 65hrs/week.

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

The people who stay are dedicated.

Cons

The amount of outsourcing to India is incredible. It's a security risk beyond measure, all customers, and employees of customers should take fair warning. All of your private data is sent to India via non-secure methods, included plain text email. Raising flags does nothing, because of a few managers getting kick-backs from the firm in India.

Very poor, no integrity, management stealing the family silver

Former Employee - MGTI in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - MGTI in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A paycheck (but not very big...all the money goes to the top and to the shareholders)

Cons

No mobility, Leadership Team croneyism (they regularly lie for each other and circle the wagons if threatened by the outcomes of their own incompetence), no respect for NLD (next Level Down). The firm's codes of conduct (Greater Good) are routinely trampled.

Replace the MGTI Leadership Team before they destroy the franchise

STAY AWAY from this company

Former Employee - Call Center in Norwood, MA
    Former Employee - Call Center in Norwood, MA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

NONE absolutely none whatsoever at this company

Cons

Rude management, favoritism, condescending employees and managers, long hours, not enough compensation for what is being done-horrible company horrible people, horrible horrible horrible-ANYWHERE is better than MMC

Remember that people are not know it-alls-and that they dont' like to be condescneded and told that they are doing EVERYTHING wrong!!! give a little credit where credit is due and don't be so critical of EVERYTHING-they are trying their best

NO RAISES AT THIS COMPANY FOR YEARS. Very little upward mobility. Low employee morale.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Decent benefits. Good office location.

Cons

This company fails to tell you when they hire you that they have "frozen" raises for the past 5 years. They mislead you by saying that annual raises are given, when that is not the case. Nobody except for senior management gets a raise at this company, and they are handsomely paid. The company's excuse is the economic situation yet the company is doing very well financially. Upward mobility is hard to achieve, and you need to be extremely political and internally connected in order to move up. This company remains an old boys club and the few women that do get to senior leadership positions are even worse then the men. Employee morale is extremely low. Everyone is exasperated about the "raise freeze" and the apparent hiring freeze on much-needed administrative assistants.

Give your employees raises and make them feel valued rather than disposable. Put people who actually know how to "manage" in managerial positions.

Very political

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managing directors and SVP are very thorough in what they know. They believe in their team of employees.

Cons

You should tell people when you are hiring them as an consultant vs. full time employee.

Spend more time having belief in your employees. This firm could do so much better in their marketing efforts if they knew how to market ideas to their employees instead thinking of them as second rate citizens.

Terrible!!!! They are liars and cheats and cost people a way of living and send them to the unemployment line

Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Executive Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

No pros. Just be honest with your employees.

Cons

The cons are that they do not know how to conduct business. They obviously have taking in courses in marketing, sales or business administration. This is the most wasteful financial company ever.

Hire people who have a desire to help the community in which they live in and not just volunteer because your name will get on the Marsh and McLennan newsletter. This company is so overrated.

fear based culture of incompetence managers

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in Hoboken, NJ

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

zero expectations or account ability for mistakes, I never saw anyone penalized for making a mistake there, but people were continually criticized for doing their jobs

Cons

culture of fear and belittling, the angriest management team I've ever seen, much more interested in scoring points off of each other, than in contributing to the business

Terrible HR Department

Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Recruiting Coordinator in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They try to value their employees by promoting from within. Working in recruitment I saw many times over that when a position would open up they would try to promote someone at a lower level. Compensation seemed to be competitive across the organization.

I had a good manager.

Cons

Technology is awful. The joke around the office is that if you start with a laptop on your first day then you're ahead of the game. Resources to help you get your job done are not easily accessible at all.

While I did meet some very nice people, I would say there were quite a large number of people I did not enjoy working with and I would hesitate to label a lot of the people there as "professionals". Many people are very catty, negative, quick to blame everyone else if something goes wrong, they tend to write unprofessional and snooty e-mails. A lot of talking behind each others backs (more-so than in other organizations). People are clearly over-worked and a lot of people seem to have a zombie-like look because they are worn out and don't want to be there. I don't think I ever really heard someone say they fully enjoyed working there. No one seems to know what is going on, responsibilities are often unclear and the question of "which department is this handled by?" gets asked VERY often. I'm not the only one that feels this way, many people that work there felt the same way.

I was on contract for 5 months and was miserable the majority of the time that I was there. They had me doing the work of two people then let me go and was told they were transitioning my responsibilities to someone else. I found out later they hired another temp to replace me? The quality of my work was fine considering all the things I had to deal with and keep track of, so that could not have been the reason to let me go. I was told that I was unable to log over-time hours unless those hours were prior-approved.

Had I been offered full-time employment I would have turned it down. I'm happier being unemployed than having to work in that environment. My advice would be to stay away and save yourself the headache.

You have a culture problem in this organization. For a company that has been around as long as MMC you should have had your act together a long time ago.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos