Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

In my 20 years in the IT industry, this was the worst experience I've ever had. You will work a minimum of 65hrs/week.

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time

Pros

The people who stay are dedicated.

Cons

The amount of outsourcing to India is incredible. It's a security risk beyond measure, all customers, and employees of customers should take fair warning. All of your private data is sent to India via non-secure methods, included plain text email. Raising flags does nothing, because of a few managers getting kick-backs from the firm in India.

First day in the field "criers are buyers"

Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can work when ever you want, but that is only because you are paid on commission, although they want you in the office 2 days a week and 3 days in the field.

Cons

You will make money if you have no problem being pushy and underhanded. Don't expect any help after you trial period is up.

Advice to Management

Pyramid style old boys club.

Losing Talent and Focus

Pros

Marsh is a Global company with an abundance of resources and analytics available to clients. I've been at other top-ranked brokerage firms and Marsh, by far, surpasses the others in talent and resources.

Cons

In an effort to change the industry and create efficiencies they have lost sight of what's most important, our clients. Second to our clients are our colleagues who generally feel overworked, severely undervalued and completely expendable. Rather than allowing us to provide quality service to our clients they only create additional barriers. Staffing - we are constantly having to do more with less and it's clear management has no clue what it takes to provide "best in class" service that elite firms provide. If you're a producer it's even harder to negotiate fees with clients when you're constantly losing key team members and there are hurdles to provide any analytics to your clients.

Advice to Management

Try actually talking to colleagues who are in the trenches. Supposedly this was done as part of the new technology role out however they have completely missed the boat. Perhaps put on the breaks before things get even worse? Don't roll out initiatives if they don't work just to check them off your list to show it was completed.

Don't stay here!

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Met plenty of hardworking, decent people. Unfortunately, they are not appreciated.

Cons

Unhappy place to work. Mobbing and bullying is rampant.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and show your appreciation once in a while. Overhaul management.

Awful

Current Employee - Operations Analyst/Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst/Certificate Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits, benefits

Cons

Overworked and way under paid

Advice to Management

Show appreciation to employees who constantly go above and beyond and help retain accounts

Worst Place ever

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There are not any good reasons to work here.

Cons

Upper management sucks!!!! They pay millions in compensation packages to fired, ineffective CEO's when they could be passing that down to the people who actually do the work for the company.

Advice to Management

Get your heads out of your $%^^% and realize who keeps your company running and quit padding the pockets of management who does NOTHING!!!!

Worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Service Specialist II in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Service Specialist II in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no positive things to say about working here!

Cons

No raises, focused more on rewarding management than those actually doing the work

Advice to Management

You need to realize who is actually doing the work and stop rewarding those who aren't!

Worst job

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Urbandale, IA
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Urbandale, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing was good, except compensating time when working oncall

Cons

Horrible hours, worked you like a slave driver, niche jobs (no moving up from within) and bad pay

Advice to Management

Could have had better compensations/pay and lay off the fear based management

Corporate Benefits Department - Avoid like the plague

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

One can gain valuable work experience in a very tall organisational structure. High volume of data and work to do. Great for actuaries, accountants and math nerds.

Cons

This was the worst place that I have ever worked. It has an astronomically high Power Distance Ratio. In the Benefits Dept., workers get to see the 4-figure bonuses executives make (over 100k salary), whereas non-exempt employees basically got zilch. Middle management was very very derisive towards 'inferiors'. Employees had feuds lasting for years and refused to speak to one another outside of required interaction/meetings. Lower- echelon workers were expected to be slaves. I even heard a well-paid attorney say in front of the VP of benefit's administrative assistant: ".... your grossly underpaid assistant." And the evp said nothing. It made me want to wretch. There was much strife, so much, in fact that they brought in an external consultant to help sort out the lack of 'esprit de coeur'. As other reviews have stated, drawbacks include an entrenched 'old boys' club', no opportunity to put your hand to diverse tasks, extremely uneven compensation. Working there you are just a number. No professional development.

Advice to Management

Consider how efficient daily operations would be without the 'little people' you so thoroughly scorn.

A 3 year swim in a shark tank

Former Employee - Client Advisor in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Client Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure and tremendous networking opportunities along with high profile clients.

Cons

No room for promoting within. It's definitely a "good ole boy" networking hierarchy. Yearly raises are minimal and hard work is not appreciated by management. If your manager likes you then be or she will fight for you at review time...if not, then you're screwed.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people within your organization who actually handles the daily work in the trenches that literally keeps the company out of the "red".

RSS Feed </> Embed