Marsh & McLennan Companies

Marsh & McLennan Companies Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser

Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• long hours and not the best management structure in place (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company!!!!

ProsThere is a sense of family at this company and people enjoy their job very much. You'll never wake up and hate going to work. Supervisors don't micromanage you as the environment thrives on being an autonomous self-starter.

ConsNo cons, this is the most pleasant company I have ever worked for....

Advice to Senior ManagementTom, you're doing an excellent job!!!!!

Deceptive and full of delusions

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Urbandale, IA

ProsProvides employment for the community

ConsExecutives are delusional and lack ethics. They LIVE IN A BUBBLE and are unable to stay focused on complex yet basic corporate tasks. No vision on why they exist (people, process or customer). BTW 2011-20xx leadership track record is poor! Inept (includes Sales and Operations) on leading complex business efforts allowing Urbandale to be successful with a solid business outcome. Consequentially Urbandale lost key people, lost big clients, revenue and ran up ALLOT of expense. High turnover as line staff gets laid off because customers leave and what remains is the bubble team (bullet-proof as have CEO mislead and confused). MMC recently did reorg but don't expect different results - same behaviors still exist; when faced with a challenge, bubble team goes underground; protocol now is to move the goal posts, identify blame and activate "death by PowerPoint". Next, managers and supervisors are pressured to focus on "bottom line" so they invoke unrealistic goals with fear and intimidation. Bubble team got no game! They have lost over $50M in revenue on 2 clients alone yet no one gets fired - bubble team is bullet proof because it exists throughout all Urbandale executive leadership. On the flip side; success has many fathers and expect to get trampled on 3rd floor as everyone is lined up to get recognition whereas failure is an orphan. Hand out titles like its fruit loops - by comparison AVP would be supervisor at respectable firm. Those with a conscience and integrity leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't run a business off a PowerPoint

Focus of What's Important at Marsh PCS Changes with Leadership Every Other Year - Hire This Year - Fire the Next Year!

Vice President (Current Employee) Richmond, VA

ProsBenefits are Good, Tolerance of Diversity in the Workplace is a Plus for Those Who Need it; PTO is Excellent.

ConsPCS is only about sales goals and making them at any and all costs these days; Zone Leaders reduced from 5 who knew their areas down to 2 who are under so much pressure to perform for a CEO from a prior position at an auto parts business of all things! It's insulting!

Advice to Senior ManagementPut someone in charge at the top who knows what a high net worth client is truly looking for - not someone who just wants to put $100M in new business on the books at all costs. The true costs will be losing your top management people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too much management change

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Hoboken, NY

ProsGreat opportunities to do technical work

ConsNo strategic direction and vision

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the direction set from previous management and build on top of it, rather than reinventing the wheel

I had a great start, unfortunately got caught in a corporate reorganization

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood compensation and benefits. You are working for an industry leader. My managers were quality people.

ConsUnfortunately, Scrooges in New York looked over the numbers and decided that a large group needed to go to meet the "numbers." This seems to happen regularly at Marsh.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on stability and growth. You have great people, great brand and the opportunity to remain a leader. But, continued downsizing and changes in strategy are going to wear down the employees.

MMC is a very gay, transgender and lesbian friendly company

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThis is a great company to work for if you're in the business of selling insurance.

ConsIf you work for one of the non-insurance related practices, you might feel like the red-headed step-child.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your opinions on gay, lesbian and transgender issues to yourselves.

Marsh offers excellent long-term growth potential.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMarsh offers great health and dental benefits. In addition, to offering an excellent employee stock purchasing plan.

ConsThe pay grade is low and prospects for advancement for non-salaried employees is minimal at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe two areas that Marsh U.S. Consumer needs to improve the most is in communications and limiting the abuse of cross-functioning teams.

Overall positive but some negatives to consider

Technical Analyst (Current Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsGood Benefits, Competitive Salary, Work Remotely

ConsLack of advancement, Complacent Management, Lay Offs

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to manage PEOPLE

Indecisive and Arrogant

Account Executive (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsGlobal presence with some well trained and committed personnel

ConsDiminishing performance and therefore reputation

Advice to Senior ManagementStop assuming that relying on legacy a good business practice and begin working to earn trust, credibility...

Overall my experience was positive

Vice President (Former Employee) Hoboken, NJ

ProsGood technology and people, interesting projects, competitive salary and benefits.

ConsI found it to be very political environment, sometimes making it difficult to get things done. Sometimes the different companies could not agree on things, stalling projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more transparency to employees

Worked for Marsh & McLennan Companies? Contribute to the Community!