Marsh & McLennan Companies

Updated December 15, 2014
3.2

Marsh & McLennan Companies President & CEO Daniel S. Glaser
Daniel S. Glaser

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Work life balance depending on the department, name brand recognition (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and paid time off is generous (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management (in 13 reviews)

• Very little thought given to providing any sort of work/life balance to employees (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Polished environment

Former Employee - Information Technology in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Information Technology in New York, NY

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere, polished environment, overall great place for your next career move. I would recommend more training for current roles so employees after several years do not become more stagnated.

Cons

After several years you can become stagnated if you do not seek other career avenues within the company.

I would say more training to develop skills so the employee can expand his role and be a better contributor. Have senior management build more communication avenues to better understand the role there employees need to fulfill there job expectations.

Very Good company

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It has Global Oppertunities and various resorces.

Cons

Company is too big, felt that there is big black hole.

Please think well and deep when you want to make a change.

Good company with good people

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great Work culture in the office

Cons

bonus is less than I would expect

no current advice to managment

Losing Talent and Focus

I have been working at Marsh & McLennan Companies

Pros

Marsh is a Global company with an abundance of resources and analytics available to clients. I've been at other top-ranked brokerage firms and Marsh, by far, surpasses the others in talent and resources.

Cons

In an effort to change the industry and create efficiencies they have lost sight of what's most important, our clients. Second to our clients are our colleagues who generally feel overworked, severely undervalued and completely expendable. Rather than allowing us to provide quality service to our clients they only create additional barriers.

Staffing - we are constantly having to do more with less and it's clear management has no clue what it takes to provide "best in class" service that elite firms provide. If you're a producer it's even harder to negotiate fees with clients when you're constantly losing key team members and there are hurdles to provide any analytics to your clients.

Try actually talking to colleagues who are in the trenches. Supposedly this was done as part of the new technology role out however they have completely missed the boat. Perhaps put on the breaks before things get even worse? Don't roll out initiatives if they don't work just to check them off your list to show it was completed.

Its a paycheck

Pros

Company has a good reputation in the industry. Global platform. Its a paycheck. Not micromanaged.

Cons

Too much beaurocracy. New York has to approve everything. Too many managers, too many people with titles. Compensation is awful, raises and bonuses almost unheard of except for producers and top management.

Cliquish, cant get ahead if you are not part of the in crowd. Entire departments outsourced to India, no job security at all. Anyone can get let go any day of the week.

Employees are treated as expendable and are not valued. Turnover seems to be high, probably because of compensation. Noone is recognized except top producers ands senior management.

Middle managers cannot get anything done without levels of approval above them. They also seem so worried about their own jobs, they are afraid to speak up or take initiative.

HR appears to be a ghost department. One has no idea who to call or if there is anyone to call.

Terrible inefficiencies in invoiving and accounting. Embarrasing to call clients asking for payment when they have already paid and accounting cant find their money.

Company seems more interested in pouring money into marketing and technology initiatives than retaining talented employees.

You cannot ever telecommute. If you have an appointment, you have to take the whole day off.

A little value of employees goes a long way in morale and productivity. Stop the rah rah meetings until you can compensate people that are actually doing the work to make it a profitable company.

First day in the field "criers are buyers"

Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can work when ever you want, but that is only because you are paid on commission, although they want you in the office 2 days a week and 3 days in the field.

Cons

You will make money if you have no problem being pushy and underhanded. Don't expect any help after you trial period is up.

Pyramid style old boys club.

I had a neutral experience at Marsh.

Former Employee - Insurance Claims Advisor
    Former Employee - Insurance Claims Advisor

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Marsh is a large company with well-known clients.

Cons

They are fanatical about saving money by cutting expenses down to the bone.

Management is Intelligent but obsessed about growing the business and raising their stock price.

Former PCS Employee

Former Employee - Client Advisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Client Advisor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Marsh employees are the best trained employees in the industry.

Cons

Local management seems to think they are above it all. They get away with treating hard working dedicated employees like dirt and even if employees file a complaint nothing is done about it by HR. And to add insult to injury those same managers get promoted and hard working valued employees get layed off.

Make sure HR is documenting the employee complaints and pay attention, geez what does it take?

IT Project Manager

Former Employee - Project Manager in Fort Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Fort Washington, PA

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits were good, interesting work.

Cons

large company, bureaucracy overcame smaller company atmosphere that was there in the beginning

Very rewarding and I wa able to work with customers in a proactive manner to resolve discrepancies.

Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Accounts Receivable Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marsh & McLennan Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was able to use transferrable skills to achive my goals and I was able to achieve monthly business objectives.

Cons

I had no complaints when I was employed other than my position was outsourced to INDIA.

Marsh & McLennan Companies Photos