Marshall, Dennehey, Warner Coleman and Goggin

Be The First To
Add Photos

Paralegal

Paralegal (Former Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsOpportunity to gain experience for entry level employees. Not much recognition for the higher experienced senior paralegals.

ConsToo much management made it difficult to know who you were to report to for issues, concerns, or simple requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the hierarchy.

Loved working for the attorney I was hired to work for; moved to another dept. which has been a revolving door.

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsLoved what I was originally hired to do. All 3 attorneys were great to work with. Moved to another dept., then 3 weeks later let go for something office manager was covering in this dept.

ConsIf the office manager doesn't like you she will belittle you, and let you go for NO REASON....

Advice to Senior ManagementGET RID OF OFFICE MANAGER!!!! She will have you fired without hesitation and blame you for something she may have done.

Good place to work - if the McDonald's in your area is not looking.

Associate Attorney (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIf you like working red-car blue car casualty cases or slip and fall it's awesome!

ConsRequiring associates to bill anywhere from 200-235 hours per month. While people claim that this is what "big firms" do, none of the elite firms (which MD is not) in Pittsburgh require their associates to come anywhere near that amount of time. Plus, they still pay a lot higher than MD does. No work/life balance at all, taking time off is not advised. No upward progress - no bonuses (except for the 7 different levels of shareholders). They bleed you dry until you quit. Frankly, they bank on you not having many opportunities to go somewhere else based on their reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at why some partners have so much associate turn-over. Fool me once...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very good place to work as far as insurance defense work is concerned

Associate Attorney (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Proscollegial work environment; ok pay

Consinsurance defense work; slip and falls and motor vehicle accidents

Large Firm with many locations. Great Firm as long as you stay away from the Roseland Office.

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) Roseland, NJ

ProsGreat benefits including free health care to employees.

ConsManagement doesn't care about their employees unless you fall into their social circle. Uneven and unfair work distribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign! The office manager is disliked by most support staff and attorneys. She doesn't know what her staff's duties are and randomly distributes work. Some staff members do not have time to take a break while other staff members do not have the time to work. This all depends on who you are friends with not by your qualifications.

Big Firm With Big Potential

Associate Attorney (Current Employee)

Pros1) Marshall prides itself on transparency. Senior management makes the associates feel like they are partners.
    2) Marshall supports associate marketing
    3) Marshall is a trial firm and some departments have plenty of opportunity for young lawyers
    4) Marshall provides unfettered contact with their clients by the associates. They trust that you will appreciate and not take advantage
    5) Financially stable. Layoffs unlikely.
    6) Senior managements recognizes the accomplishments of associates outside of billing
    7) Good working environment for a big firm

Cons1) Like any big firm, the billing expectation can be off putting for those that cannot handle it
    2) Vacation time can be hard to come by
    3) Not a place for undedicated lawyers

Advice to Senior ManagementMarshall has an open door policy. Therefore, advice to upper manager is a phone call away.

Great Support

Clerk (Current Employee) Cherry Hill, NJ

ProsHuge firm, plenty of resources.

ConsLittle room for growth of support staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand the responsibilities of your support staff.

Good stepping stone, not manageable long-term.

Associate Attorney (Former Employee)

ProsPay is good for insurance defense but still lower than the white shoe law firms; there should be enough fellow associates for coverage if necessary; excellent real world experience such as having your own caseload, going on deps, going to court; cases can be interesting, depending on what you get; there should be enough staff to help out (whether this actually goes into effect depends on the office and the office manager); firm has a very good reputation state-wide;

ConsExtremely high billable hours exceeding 190 a month; focus is on billing and not about winning cases or doing a good job; morale is bad because everyone is overworked; secretaries are overworked so they are unable to do the work quickly enough to keep up with the ridiculous pace; no perks in the workplace; working at home is frowned upon even though it is an option; you feel constantly unsupported by your attorney managers who are attempting to get ahead on their own; even though there is nearly 6 months of partially paid leave after you have a baby, they do not offer part-time so when you get back to work, you hit the ground running all over again. The billables only get higher the longer you stay there. The reason for the high billables is that the hourly rates are so low. I left for a better life style.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter to have lower pay and less hours than high pay and more hours; improve the employee perks, such as offering paid lunches or fun weekly activities. The morale is horrible and nobody wants to be at work.

Overworked, Underpaid and Never An Appreciative Word

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsHelpful staff. Central location to public transit.

ConsRegimented administration. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Paralegals worked to the bone and paid far below standard. Attorneys overworked. Revolving door mentality of personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease paralegal salary base to market standard. Decrease staff and paralegal work week to 35 hours to balance work-life.

Micro-management to the hilt

Legal Secretary (Former Employee) Roseland, NJ

ProsCutting edge technology, training sessions. The people are very nice for the most part. Summer hours. Flexible for time off.

ConsMicro-management. Legal secretaries monitored by management as to how much dictation they have, given more dictation if finished - like a typing pool or being a floater. Mandatory support staff meetings where you are berated for ridiculous things like talking too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to call legal secretaries "professionals," treat them like professionals. The support staff meetings are offensive and do not solve problems but instead contribute to low morale.

Worked for Marshall, Dennehey, Warner Coleman and Goggin? Contribute to the Community!