Marshall Electronics Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.7
Leonard Marshall

Challenging work, no requirements documents! No design meetings.

Former Contractor - Senior FPGA/Digital Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior FPGA/Digital Systems Engineer in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Marshall Electronics as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent opportunity to grow with challenging work. However, the team environment really doesn't exist. The person next to you may know what you are looking for, but you have to read and dig it out alone.

Cons

Lack of design coordination and documents. Only verbal communication that leaves open any design requirement you may or may not think are necessary

Advice to Management

increase interaction about 1000%

2. Horrible company

I have been working at Marshall Electronics

Pros

Co-workers are great. Very close to home which was a huge plus

Cons

Management is horrible. I was there for 7 years. Used to be a great place to work until they brought it stupid clowns to run the business who dont know jack about running a business, they also fire people for things that were not there fault. I know from experience. HR also a big joke HR does not have the employee's back. She does whatever her boss tells her. I would recommend working for this company

Advice to Management

Should learn to be nicer to employees. Should never hire spouse's thats a really bad idea but you didnt care.

Horrible, horrible company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Marshall Electronics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was close to home, and I was able to work in an industry I have much knowledge of. The guys in the Mogami dept. know their stuff and are super cool.

Cons

Marshall is HORRIBLE to their employees. They simply don't care about their employees, and that vibes rolls down the hill from upper management. If you had concerns, they'd be answered with threats. If you have ideas, they would be stolen. If you didn't "roll with" the manager who harassed you in your personal email, you would be threatened yet once again. When I was there, there wasn't even proper HR. (That is if you consider proper to be someone who gets high at lunch and gives unsolicited info about other's salaries.)

Advice to Management

Honestly "owner", you entrust your company to sociopathic, threatening, unfair bozos. Also, there were constant threats from the owner's wife, who when she because of her lack of ability to communicate properly would constantly blame engineering and marketing for her mistakes. Wow. what a horrible place. I'm so glad I'm free of it.

Marshall

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Marshall Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company with little pressure to improve

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement

Advice to Management

Create more Team motivation methods. Offer training when person demonstrates a true desire and motivation to learn and progress.

Okay job for about a Year

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Tualatin, OR

I worked at Marshall Electronics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work on excited Projects. The work enviroment was good

Cons

No, promotions or pay raises period! There is no growing. I got stuck on working on one product line only.

Advice to Management

Needs to retire, works parts time and does nothing but complains. He has no idea on whats going on.

Lack of clear management directions

Current Employee - Operations Manager in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Marshall Electronics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company thrived in niche market with marginal entrepreneurial spirit. This used to be a great company.

Cons

Lack clear directions how to break through current mold to grow, multi-directional objectives which impedes substantial impact and drain of resources. Poor upper management with old fashioned curses and unprofessional verbal attacks that's sometimes personal and below the belt. Highly tensed working environment that leads to overall low morale and motivation.

Managers failures lead to poor morale.

I worked at Marshall Electronics

Pros

The relationships made with the co-workers are great.

Cons

In order for a company to be great, it needs to start from the top and work its way down. Sadly, The CEO inherited this company from his daddy. He barley finished high school and has no real business or leadership sense. He hides behind his personal accountant who is also the CFO. Both the CFO and CEO are absent from the company 85% of the time, as the CFO has his own accounting firm and the CEO stays at home playing with his microphones. The CEO relies on his friend to run the company. He's the Engineering manager, but sadly, his engineering skills are outdated and he has a personal vendetta with the head of Sales and Marketing which prevent progress. The funny thing is that he's not even a Marshall employee, he's a contractor and gets paid a ridiculous amount simply because he's The CEOs friend. He's also absent often and relys on the lead engineer to develop things, absent from Sales and Marketings knowledge . As a result, there is no real leadership at this company. Promotions never happen.Even worse, the company doesn't provide feedback on how the employee is doing. The pay is terrible and whats worse is that the folks in the warehouse and production are treated the worst of all. They are paid minimum wage, and are treated like 2nd class citizens. While the company has the potential of doing great things, they prevent themselves from going to the next level because the lack the leadership, vision and structure they need in order to do so. While this sounds as if I am trashing the place, I'm not. These are all indisputable facts. If you are considering employment here, take the above mentioned into consideration.

Advice to Management

The CEO should delegate his responsibilities to someone who knows business and is willing to be there on a full time basis. Fire the Engineering Manager. His time is past and keeping him around because he's a friend only sends the wrong message. Promote from within and build a better team that have business knowledge and leadership abilities.

RSS Feed </> Embed