Marshall and Stevens Reviews

Mark Santarsiero

1. Great team

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have enjoyed my time in the financial valuation practice in the Los Angeles Office. The practice leader is a great teacher. Management is very approachable.

Cons

There is a lot to learn.

Take your pride and RUN!

I worked at Marshall and Stevens (More than a year)

Pros

Great location being in the center of downtown.

Cons

I worked in the LA office and saw alot of undermining going on! They will play with the 401k to get their huge salaries paid. The President's huge salary including the senior management is just horrible. They let alot of people go in the LA office and are now trying to recruit. DON'T do it people, they are dishonest and will back stab you in minute.

Advice to Management

YOU NEED JESUS!

3. Run Away FAST!

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Associates and Analysts from across the different branches were always keen to lend a helping a hand. Managers, Directors and MDs, not so much. Unfortunately not much more to say. I have this job to pay my bills, nothing else really. Some offices have better work environments, Chicago is good. NY not so much, where I work. The Real Estate Group is the only group that is worth working for.

Cons

Say goodbye to work life balance. Working from 8 - 8pm is the norm. Compensation is laughable for how many hours workers are asked to work. Stay away! When you filter through the 5 Star Reviews, you will see that they were written within days of each other, obviously written by a M&S stooge. It's ridiculous working here. Terrible 401k, bonuses are minuscule, asked to work regularly on the weekends, poor management of junior employees.

Advice to Management

Competitors snatch interns away because M&S pays below the market, compensate everyone equitably!

Great Experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The sky is the limit. Management is all ears for ideas and encourages growth within the company. They care about their employees and provide a strong corporate culture. You will gain much experience working with the high profile clients they have. Great place to grow quickly and get some hands on experience.

Cons

The company has tons of competitors in its market. The company has been around for 80+ years and has seen many trends.

Advice to Management

Keep recruiting the best talent.

I had a positive experience working for Marshall & Stevens with opportunity, freedom and support.

Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Marshall & Stevens has a dedicated and highly talented staff. I always felt that I had the freedom to pursue opportunities and take on new challenges. The firm offers a wide variety of services so there was always something to keep the work interesting.

Cons

As a middle market firm, there are pressures from both higher-end and lower-end competitors making it a challenge to compete for business.

Advice to Management

I think along with offering many services is the challenge of being excellent at all of them at the same time. While there are areas where the M&S experts are the best in their field, the firm should consider focusing on those areas to differentiate from the market.

Family like atmosphere and close knit group of professionals

Current Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Strong sense of loyalty to the staff, and the company has a "family like" atmosphere. Management cared about the well-being of employees and understood the importance of work life balance.

Cons

Change is not always easy, but I believe that the long-term vision is clear and gradually coming to fruition.

Advice to Management

Keep the great work...! the business outlook over the next year looks very promising.

Small firm, small guy mentality.

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Marshall and Stevens full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of time to slack off. Some good/knowledgeable directors. Short working hours

Cons

Mostly incompetent management. Laughable salary. Culture of cheap jobs, high volume, low quality work. Certain managers unable to management themselves, let alone staff. Completely uncompromising on needs of employees. Unethical behavior from upper management, causing an atmosphere of distrust throughout the whole company.

Advice to Management

Management should be replaced with competent people, who are able to multitask, and lead successful collaborative teams. Hire A level employees, and keep them, rather than churn and burn. Bid reasonable rates on jobs so that quality work can be paid for.

Real review of over 5 years at Marshall & Stevens

Pros

I could not come up with anything.

Cons

It is absolutely hilarious to me that there were 5 positive reviews posted here in one day. Once again, completely terrible damage control, from the awesome joke of a CEO, Mark. There is nothing positive about working at Marshall & Stevens. They are recruiting like crazy because they have lost over half the employees in the LA office since the new year and now have to recruit because there is no one who works there. Please do yourself a favor and pass up any opportunity they will beg you to take. Your soul and integrity will suffer. It is true that the CEO has done a horrible job of managing this company. They have over 80 years under their belt, but he has lost that in a matter of 5 years, along with their reputation among clients, and their industry. They repeatedly asked me to cut costs and time on my work. It only hurt the clients I worked with. They did not care, the CEO did not care about anything, and he was hardly there When my manager left by choice at disgust of what was going on, I had to get out. There is a terrible energy in the air, people are miserable because they know that they are doing a poor job, have lost their morale and zest for their positions and life. It truly is sad. My new company has renewed my sense of purpose in my field, after feeling lost, dirty and defeated at Marshall and Stevens. The only people left there are the ones that are ok with the behaviors and ethics that are in display at MS and those are people that I wouldn’t trust for anything. To address the positive reviews I have to say: 1) No one who left was recruited. Everyone left on their own volition because the company is in ruins under a unprofessional, unqualified CEO. Most people left without any guaranteed job security, in this economy, just to get out of the awful atmosphere. In addition - no recruiter wants someone with experience from Marshall & Stevens, it is a joke in the industry. I had to attend conferences where I was laughed out of the room when I introduced myself as being from there. If you want a job after MS, you have to work real hard to prove you are not a hack too. 2) There is no culture or morale, everyone there is miserable because that is the environment the CEO has fostered. They do not care about anyone and have zero sense of loyalty. I watched my pregnant colleague let go for no reason, my colleague with young children get their salary cut, having nothing to do with performance, watched my manager of over 20 years have their salary cut in half, new hires recruited and promised the world get their salaries mangled, Managing directors leaving after 3 months in disgust, and several others who were let go without explanation. All of those people, like myself have moved on to top tier companies.

Advice to Management

Seek professional help.

Don't trust the fake reviews

Former Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marshall and Stevens full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work if you want to watch cat videos all day because of the lack of business. CEO will act like your buddy before he lays you off.

Cons

Seriously, this is not a good place to work (I'm talking about the LA office--can't speak for other offices). CEO laid off a bunch of people this year, and others left due to low morale. Management makes terrible decisions, rewards bad behavior and ignores good behavior. SHADY business practices. CEO writes himself a check while others lose their jobs. Really sad.

Advice to Management

Advice: stop posting fake reviews of yourself. Seriously, can you get any lower? The posts from March 3, 4, and 5th are obviously bogus, posted by a panicked CEO who has the mind of a child. People are smarter than that, Mark. Instead of posting fake reviews, maybe try running your company.

Awful Management and Career Experience

Pros

There are zero pros to working here. Celebrating your 20 year anniversary? Leaving after 15 years of service? Congratulations they will bring in a tray of cheap bagels for you!

Cons

CEO has divorced himself of responsibility and integrity. Employees are treated poorly, most talented and resourceful have left Compromise integrity by lying to clients and providing poor services

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, management will not take any advice, and has not done so for about 12 years. The board members drop like flies, and what's left is a pathetic array or poor business acumen desperately trying to save a business with 80 years of longevity to no avail. I would advise the management to elect a new CEO, one who has not let the company go down in flames while increasing his own salary each year. One who does not lie to clients, and encourage providing poor service and valuation to cut costs. I lost a great deal of enthusiasm and integrity having to lie and under perform to appease the CEO. I watched several colleagues lose their positions and have their salaries cut while the CEO sat on a hefty salary, and fired several long term employees. All of the god employees are leaving in droves and so they are probably hiring. The people who are staying are happy to have a position where they can take home a paycheck without exerting any effort. It is a sad and despicable company. Their benefits are a joke, and take no measures to address employee concerns or poor morale.

RSS Feed </> Embed