Marshall & Swift

Updated September 8, 2014
Updated September 8, 2014
2.0

Tony Reisz

Wonderful opportunities for advancement.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyler, TX

I worked at Marshall & Swift full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Opportunities for advancement. Wonderful team environment.

Cons

Constant organizational changes. Benefits are extremely expensive.

And it keeps getting worse and worse!

I have been working at Marshall & Swift full-time

Pros

There are very few good things about this company. A few leaders sprinkled about the workplace. Your fellow workers and the location.

Cons

After another round of us being sold to another new company, we were promised good things will be just around the bend. It has not happened: Here is a list of complaints:
    1. Favoritism for the people in Wisconsin.(I have seen leaders in the company being moved from one position to another. The position never being posted.)
    2. All leadership positions placed in Wisconsin.
    3. Changes to benefits that cause an increase in price to workers.
    4. Micromanagement and a lack of trust from new leadership.
    5. Layoffs that are not communicated to the workforce and still this day are not explained to those that remain.
    6. There is little to none upward movement for workers in this company, there are at times small title bumps to senior something.

We hear a lot from the CEO but it does not get down to the workers, his work ethic and vision is NOT what his leaders in the company do. Take a real reality check with your assets the people who work for you.

You are just an expense on the balance sheet, when the company is lackluster they won't bat an eye to can you

Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Wauwatosa, WI
    Former Employee - Accounting Assistant in Wauwatosa, WI

I worked at Marshall & Swift

Pros

the people that I worked with were wonderful, knowledgeable, and it was always a great friendly atmosphere. Fun employee engagement events.
    It was a job.

Cons

No recognition for hard work and dedication to the company, poor employee advancement unless you are the cut throat kind of employee who will step on others to get ahead, or if you kiss the bosses "you know what" you are guaranteed job security.
    Disappointed in my work here as I was doing to work of a staff accountant but never recognized. Disappointed because the department manager had no managing skills, was very over worked, and only took time out to help the employees she was close friends or "favored" and completely lacked any leadership skills. The company has also gone through much change recently and job security among the employees is a recurring topic as well as poor pay, and terrible health insurance benefits.

Stop wasting money on expenses that can be avoided or diminished, and start putting the money back into employees! You say no raises, yet have very HIGH departmental expenses on extremely frivolous unnecessary purchases.

On a Downward Spiral

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marshall & Swift

Pros

Marshall & Swift is located at California Plaza in the Financial District of Downtown LA. It's easy to run errands during lunch or enjoy a good meal. The surrounding areas have a lot of outdoor places to relax, or go to see something interesting, if you have time at lunch (MOCA, Disney Concert Hall). We might be moving in 2011 or 2012, so this might not be a perk for long.

Depending on your department and/or manager, you might be able to work remote occasionally. If all the pieces of your job can be performed virtually, the odds are better that you might be able to work remote every once and a while. However, some managers never allow it, even if it's logistically possible.

Also, there are some great people here that give you a chance to talk and laugh through the pain.

Cons

Compensation is poor. It may be possible that new hires are getting a better salary, but if you work here a long time, you can expect to be 15% to 20% below market. In the past two years (under the latest regime), my salary increased by only 1% total even though my performance review was in the upper percentile. Several other high performers have reported the same, so this is not an isolated issue. Prior to the past two years, we used to get real increases. Back then, I had raises every year at a minimum of 3%, and often more. (By the way, the company is very profitable, averaging 10 - 20% growth even during the latest recession, so these tactics are just greed.)

The executive management team is out for themselves. The worst offenders are based out of the Wisconsin branch. We take surveys about employee satisfaction, but see no positive changes for the average employee. They collect the information and give it lip service at meetings and in emails. The majority of the staff has already caught on to the fact that the surveys are just a way to pretend that they care about employee satisfaction. Morale is very low right now. It’s hard to see if conditions will improve.

People stay because it’s secure. We are always under staffed, so lay-offs are rare and usually just a few people at a time. Also, you can underachieve and still stay employed here for a long time. If you over-achieve, you will always have more than enough work to do.

This business is very complex, and the management does not take experience and product knowledge seriously. Good employees quit or give up caring because of some the the crazy politics and upper management turmoil.

Marshall & Swift Photos