Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school(in 17 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike(in 37 reviews)

• You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not(in 36 reviews)

Gold star award for customer service

ProsIt's good to work with nice people

Consunfortunately it's almost no care about associates

Advice to Senior Managementmore flexibility

Very good place to get customer experience skills!

Customer Service (Current Employee) Flushing, NY

Pros-Learn how to use a cash register.
    -Learn good customer service skills.
    -Learn how to do markdowns, department recovery, etc.
    -Very good company and they promote you for your good work.
    -10% discount at T.J. max and Homegoods .

Cons-They pay minimum wage.
    -Old cash register system.
    -Very messy.
    -They don't have a union.
    -No benefits till you have two years working at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need a better salary for all the hard work we do at front end. Change the registers or do a update to them that will allow customers to look up their credit card info to pay. Also provide benefits since we start working.

Cash Office/Cashier

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) La Verne, CA

ProsGreat experience with customer service and handling large amounts of money.

Consthe hours scheduled are low.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Almost 10 years but no advancement ,

Back Room Coordinator (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsFlexibility with schedule, friendly co workers, relaxed work place.

ConsHorrible customers, shoplifters, favoritism with upper management so things are not always done fairly.

Very little respect given to the management staff.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood people working in the store
    First look at great merchandise

ConsA lot of responsibility for very little pay. Upper management make snap decisions about people after 1 meeting. Can wreak your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at what goes on in your stores!!! You say there is an open door policy, but that is not the case. I wanted to discuss some store issues with my district manager. He kept me waiting for 4 months. When he would visit the store, he was always too busy to talk to me. I finally had to call his boss to get some action.

Payroll problems, hours cut without proper notice

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood people, expect the ones that still act like they're in high school and talk crap about other employees

ConsThey cut payroll a lot they'll call you on days you're scheduled and tell you not to come in

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't achieve "door to floor" when there's not enough hours to complete things. I probably will have to find a new job because I can't get my hours that I'm scheduled

Part time sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsFriendly coworkers. Some of the managers really are good at communicating and rolling up their sleeves to help get the work done on the floor.

ConsVery low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike. If you received a raise above $8 an hour , it was not reflected when the minimum wage went to $9. Little or no training except for the register. Spend a lot of time and energy cleaning up after extremely messy public including mopping up after grown women who urinate in the fitting room and picking up dirty diapers that are thrown into a clearance area, But I think the biggest disappointment is the wage. It is totally unfair to give an employee a raise and not have it roll over with the minimum wage hike. What is the motivation to work harder if in effect your raise is taken away? It is great that this company has opened its 2000th store; and I am sure that makes the shareholders happy. However making a profit and not paying your employees a living wage ( mind you, very few employees are given full time hours) is reprehensible. Employees at this store work very hard and have a good work ethic. This should be rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees like children ; pay them a decent wage. We would rather have a raise the sticks than pizza parties, ice cream or candy. Pay attention to what the customers in the store are saying, we receive a lot more complements regarding our customer service than you realize. Customer service is the number one priority. How often does a manager ask the customer about his or her shopping experience face to face ? We have the survey - the OSAT, but I will bet those numbers are different depending on what day or time of day the customer is shopping. Also, we hear over and over again about store cleanliness. Well how about having someone in each department during the day. A lot of times if you come in for your evening shift, no one has been there since early morning and the department is trashed. Ofcourse the customer will see this and give us a low score on cleanliness. Yes this is retail and people say that is how it is. But change does not happen if you say "That's how it has always been". Be a different corporation - treat your employees with respect.

To much for to little

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff was fun and friendly, acted like a family rather often. Younger staff often called in sick or didn't show. Adult staff unhappy with pay and hours.

ConsLow low wages, they expect a lot but give very little. Poor training and very little training. Extremely understaffed daily. Wait a year before benefits begin, expensive insurance. Terrible schedule, most staff isn't allowed to have 2 consecutive days off.

It has definitely been a roller coaster ride!

Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) Norwalk, CT

ProsYou get to meet new people and learn from different cultures. It's also a great place to network if you are a good people person. You get to learn new things, which play a role in developing outstanding Customer Service skills. Sometimes you get an awesome 20% discount off sales total on certain times of the year. Attending a very nice rewards ceremony for employees who have worked with the company for 5, 10, 15 or even 20+ years.

ConsIn the Norwalk, CT location there are never hours because they are always cutting payroll, which has been a major issue for the past few years. As they are cutting all present employees hours, they are also hiring new people. Convenient to the company, but very inconvenient and unfair to those who have this as an only job, whether a single parent with not much money to feed their kids every night, or even for a college student who has to work to pay for tuition. There is always a "prefference" or "favoritism" as to who should do what, who should be in charge, who gets what hours, etc. There should be no reason for the person making the schedule to ask employees what days they want to work. It's really unfair and no company should allow that to happen. A rotating shcedule should be considered so that way everyone has a chance to have a weekend off. At one point I felt discriminated against because for quite some time I was overlooked at when I wanted to step up the ladder and never given the opportunity to grown witihin the company; there were always excuses. There is a lot of work to do with no help and it makes people feel undervalued. Not fair to have one single person working the front desk with customers making enormous amounts of returns + purchases + answering incoming calls + having to process merchandise at the front desk when you're by yourself from 9 am opening time until 2-3 hours later when the "help" arrives. If you're looking for a full-time position...keep looking! The customers can be awful at times, but as long as you provide good Customer Service they will be on the same page as you.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk for employee feedback on what needs to get improved in order to "fix" any issues they are having. It's important to see things from your employees point of view. The same way that the company asks employees to have empathy towards the customers, the same should be for the management with their employees. If you want the store cleaned, employees on the same page as you, and the work actually getting done make sure you work together with your employees to keep them happy. Show employees that you care about them and appreciate all the work they put into making your store function properly. Be fair! Rotate schedules because then your employees will be unhappy and tired and soon they will call it quits.

THE BEST BOSS EVER

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsHe is a great motivator, fair, challenges you to do your best. He makes work fun and always tells you good job and reconizes you for your good work. He is a great leader and this is one of the best jobs I have ever had because of the way he runs the store. I was very impressed.

ConsIt is hard for me to say anything negative about working at Marshalls on Rosewell Rd. only because he made it a great place to work even when I would feel bad personally he would ask if everything is ok he is concerned about all his employees. I would like to say personally I have no cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile following protocol I believe you get more work done and less call outs when you have a great manager like Mr. Hiawatha

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!