Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school(in 17 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike(in 37 reviews)

• You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not(in 35 reviews)

Not worth the time unless you need some extra cash.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

Pros- Flexible scheduling
    -Friendly people
    -10% discount
    -Occasional 20% discount
    -Opportunity to win gift cards and coupons.

Cons- Consistent management changes.
    -Always short staffed.
    -Low payroll.
    -Non-competitive pay
    -Favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementActually try to take care of your long time employees and stop store management from picking favorites and choosing coordinators before they even post the available positions.

Uncooperative and double standards

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosgreat store employees. good vacation pay. Overall a friendly environment at store level.

ConsThere is a lack of leadership with higher management at the district manager and regional manager level. They communicate amongst themselves, not to store level staff to provide direction. Double standards, ethnic and homophobic discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should work harder at training and developing their assistant managers. And they should take ownership for their own mistakes as opposed to blaming lower level managers and staff

Not so hot

Store Associate (Current Employee) Cheektowaga, NY

ProsNot physically demanding, friendly workers, company/store growth, 10% off purchase

ConsLow annual raises, meetings with management are minimal

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It wasn't the best.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Deerfield Beach, FL

ProsSeveral of the managers were sympathetic and really helped me understand what it meant to be a part of retail. The other employees were friendly.

ConsOne manager in particular was really harsh on the other employees and criticized/favored employees based on looks. While some employees may take the extra time out of whatever they're doing to help you there's still some that will purposely ignore you, generally rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should pay more for the hard work that the associates do and for all they deal with.

Sucky

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOffer tons of hours if you want them

ConsPay sucks, always messy, management is awalys in the office never around to help.

Very little chance of advancement and raises.

Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsLots of free time since they do not hire full time you will never have more than 25 hours a week in the Boston location. This was confirmed by all employees that the management will not let you get more than 25 hours a week.

ConsNot enough pay or hours to even pay for rent. This job is primarily only good if you started working here at the age of 16 and was somehow able to bump your pay above 10 an hour. They give raises entirely off the points you gain out of 50 on your yearly review so the max you can gain is 50 cents in a year. but they never give you more than 3 stars even if you work very hard. so the average raise is around 30 cents.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your pay scaling and return the option to be full time instead of only hiring part time. you will never have truly dedicated workers if you only care about paying everyone minimum wage.

I work in the fitting room and it is easy, but it is very stressful when it gets busy.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Lewis Center, OH

ProsCo-workers are nice, the work schedules are very flexible, the managers bring in food for everyone, and the break room is decorated for holidays.

ConsYou are on your feet non-stop and it gets very busy weekends and Christmas.

cashier

Cashier (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosworks around school and i live close to it.

Conslong hours, customers treat you bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job

Good work environment

Fitting Room Associate, Sales Floor Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Ledgewood, NJ

ProsEmployees are friendly, lots of opportunities to change positions and train for different jobs within the store, managers are incredibly understanding and willing to work with you on your schedule and other desires within the company.

ConsPersonally, working in this type of setting just wasn't for me, otherwise it is a very good place for people who enjoy working in this type of work environment. The money I was making just wasn't enough for me to want to continue to work there despite this.

Very time fulfilling. Challenging. Very find of in house promotion if you have tough skin and patience.

Shoes Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood hours. Dedicated employees. Good training. Recognizes employees.

ConsNot really any challenges if you work well in a fast pace environment. Never enough staff though.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more staff.

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!