Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school(in 17 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike(in 37 reviews)

• You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not(in 35 reviews)

Overall good place to work!

Fitting Room Associate (Former Employee) Snellville, GA

ProsGet to meet new people and have fun helping the guest find that perfect garment or accessory. Great hours and they will work around your life and/or school hours. Nice management and team members.

ConsI didn't like pushing the Marshall's credit card on people. If I asked a guest if he/she were interested and they said no, I didn't persist with the offer.

Its an ok job.

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Upland, CA

ProsFlexible with hours. Employees are really good and cool people.

ConsThe customers that shop there and how management handles schedual conflicts and they mess up paychecks.
    Such as if I worked 20 hours Id only get paid for 16. Its not the firts time its happened to me. Around 5-6 times. Makes it seem like they do it on purpose when they are low on payroll.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep up with the paycheck erros.

Pretty good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and benefits and work life balance

ConsNot enough payroll to effectively run the business

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more realistic

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging

Merchandiser (Current Employee) Mechanicsville, VA

ProsGreat employees good discount no fee in layaway

ConsHard to work with managers good pay

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to employees with respect and follow doctor notes

Convenience

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) La Verne, CA

ProsWorking in retail isn't for everyone and is definitely an acquired "taste." Marshalls is for students or people that need extra cash. If you go to school, they work with your school schedule and are pretty reasonable when it comes to hours and dress code.

ConsIf you are trying to be independent, working as a sales associate is not the way to go. If you can't handle unreasonable people this job is not for you. The biggest cons about this job is the pay (not enough to live independently) and the communication skills of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are multiple managers in each store that are in charge of different aspects of the store. Therefore, it is very important that you communicate important messages and ideas to all of them. Because whatever you tell one may not be told to the others. For example. if you tell one manager that you cannot work a specific day because something came up, it may not be communicated to other managers so when the day comes one of the other managers may assume that you are still coming in and when you don't, it is a strike against you.

Wonderful

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThere is a real team effort and strength within the Marshalls I worked at. The managers were kind and friendly but were not afraid to take control when they needed to. It was a great place to make friends with co-workers and gain experience in all areas from customer service, fitting room attending, merchandising and even loss prevention.

ConsI do feel like the employee discount was so small that it was barely noticeable on majority of purchases. The employee discount was only 10% but there were several times a year where they would have bonus discount days where the discount was doubled. It just seemed like a pretty low discount in a store and gets so much in sales.

Cashier

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Newburyport, MA

ProsFlexible schedule for part-timers going to school. Managers are team oriented and care about their staff for the most part. The store I worked for was like a big family.

ConsThe pay is extremely low and there is not much room for growth. The work is easy, but it can get boring if you don't take it seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more promotions or at least help associates make goals to be motivated to do their work.

Very good place to get customer experience skills!

Customer Service (Current Employee) Flushing, NY

Pros-Learn how to use a cash register.
    -Learn good customer service skills.
    -Learn how to do markdowns, department recovery, etc.
    -Very good company and they promote you for your good work.
    -10% discount at T.J. max and Homegoods .

Cons-They pay minimum wage.
    -Old cash register system.
    -Very messy.
    -They don't have a union.
    -No benefits till you have two years working at the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need a better salary for all the hard work we do at front end. Change the registers or do a update to them that will allow customers to look up their credit card info to pay. Also provide benefits since we start working.

Gold star award for customer service

ProsIt's good to work with nice people

Consunfortunately it's almost no care about associates

Advice to Senior Managementmore flexibility

Cash Office/Cashier

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) La Verne, CA

ProsGreat experience with customer service and handling large amounts of money.

Consthe hours scheduled are low.

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!