Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, no problem getting time off if requested on time"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also, your weekly hours are sometimes contingent on how many credit cards you are pushing"
    in 33 reviews
  • "i was a mens associate who also did layaway but got paid less than minimum wage because it was new hampshire"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Wonderful

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsThere is a real team effort and strength within the Marshalls I worked at. The managers were kind and friendly but were not afraid to take control when they needed to. It was a great place to make friends with co-workers and gain experience in all areas from customer service, fitting room attending, merchandising and even loss prevention.

ConsI do feel like the employee discount was so small that it was barely noticeable on majority of purchases. The employee discount was only 10% but there were several times a year where they would have bonus discount days where the discount was doubled. It just seemed like a pretty low discount in a store and gets so much in sales.

THE BEST BOSS EVER

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Marietta, GA

ProsHe is a great motivator, fair, challenges you to do your best. He makes work fun and always tells you good job and reconizes you for your good work. He is a great leader and this is one of the best jobs I have ever had because of the way he runs the store. I was very impressed.

ConsIt is hard for me to say anything negative about working at Marshalls on Rosewell Rd. only because he made it a great place to work even when I would feel bad personally he would ask if everything is ok he is concerned about all his employees. I would like to say personally I have no cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile following protocol I believe you get more work done and less call outs when you have a great manager like Mr. Hiawatha

Typical part time, but good company

Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsMy favorite part of Marshalls is their leniency with time-off requests. As long as you give two weeks notice, they almost always approve vacations and days off. You can name your own availability and the managers try to respect that we have lives to live besides work. They give a LOT of incentives if you get credit card apps; many of my Marshalls purchases have been with store gift cards for reaching a goal and they run contests to further drive employees to do their best. They also have opportunities to continue working for the company, such as the Gap Program for recent college graduates to train them to become assistant managers around the US. Great training for those who don't have much retail experience but are good with people.

ConsThey push for credit card apps so if you feel uncomfortable doing so, this isn't the job for you. Pay is minimum wage to start out with, and only increases $.50 at best each year. Most job opportunities are part time, and part time employees can only work 32 hours tops and don't get benefits, paid time off, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe incentives are great, but I would consider rewarding more valued employees with more than a measly $.50. I know retail is slow to grow so small changes are necessary, but I would at least consider a one year bonus raise to stay competitive with other places that start out at $8.50.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great for a first job.

Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Titusville, FL

ProsI loved the discounts and the people I worked with, I was very lucky with our small town store.

ConsI really loved it for the few years I was there.

Human Resources Manager

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Durham, NC

ProsPromotions for within, stable company, excellant growth potential

Consassistant managers not fairly evaluated on their work performance. Too much emphasis on associate performance

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more resonable when evaluating each associates performance based on what they did versus the success or railure of their subordinates

Great oppurtunity to learn the business

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Macon, GA

ProsCross Training, employee appreciation, Reach

ConsPolicies and procedure could use more common sense

Great Company to work for.

ProsTruly cares about a work life balance and family.

ConsNone at this time. Compared to other companies, this company stands behind its culture of a caring for its employees and family. Other companies say that but put financial gain before families. Marshalls stays closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas so employee's can spend time with their families instead of being open like other retailers.

Great

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

Prosthe Customer that come in need your help and the Smile on they're face when you help them

Consthe pay for all the work put in.

Advice to Senior Managementthey really listen to you and help where every they can help you.

Excellent company with opportunity to grow

Operations Intern (Current Employee)
    Woburn, MA

ProsThey notice talent, and will give you the resources you need to succeed.

ConsHours of a distribution center can be hectic.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, very happy with the management here

The BEST company to have a career with!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    West Seattle, WA

ProsThere are great customers that shop there & associates who are absolutely great at customer service. It is a very positive environment!

ConsThere are no Cons to having a career with Marshalls. We should learn to look at Cons as an opportunity to create something positive from it.

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marshalls reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marshalls CEO Carol Meyrowitz . All 372 reviews posted anonymously by Marshalls employees.