Marshalls

Marshalls Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz

Carol Meyrowitz

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, no problem getting time off if requested on time"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also, your weekly hours are sometimes contingent on how many credit cards you are pushing"
    in 33 reviews
  • "i was a mens associate who also did layaway but got paid less than minimum wage because it was new hampshire"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If retail is for you, you might enjoy this job

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCo-workers
    SOME of the customers
    Good work life balance (as they don't give you many hours anyway)
    Nice clothes
    Some gorgeous shoes (if you're a shoe kind of person)

ConsThe management sucked. They were very nice to me at first but then it turned into hell for me. They cut my hours down to just one day...there's no way in hell I could live off that paycheck even if I tried! The discount sucks and for what we deal with as Sales Associates, I think we deserve more than $8 an hour.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is to get off your high horse. You are no better than the sales associates or stock associates that work at your stores. You are easily replaceable and as soon as you realize that, you'd have a better relationship with your employees. They wouldn't dislike you as much. Remember, it's because of us why you even get to keep your job.

Profits Over People

Merchandise Coordinator (Current Employee)
    Lithonia, GA

ProsConvenient location, paid weekly, consistently busy, friendly and understanding co workers and interesting interactions with regular customers.

ConsThe pay is awful for the amount of work required. Coordinators are overloaded with work and are expected to oversee several departments in addition to working layaway and cashiering. Coordinators are consistently used to do managerial duties such as training and overseeing the running of the store and customer service, while managers sit in the office all day doing absolutely nothing and are not compensated for their work. Coordinators are definitely overworked and severely underpaid. As a full time associate you are scheduled 30-32 hours a week and expected to finish a workload that requires at least 40 hours a week to complete. Unrealistic daily goals set for selling a store credit card that is one of the worst cards in the industry. Management does not appreciate good loyal workers. Managers like to write up workers for petty infractions. Communication among managers with their staff is minimal. Managers are only concerned with store profits and achieving sales and credit goals because it means big bonuses for them at the end of the year. In other words, managers reap the benefits off the hard work of their workers yet do not share that money with the people, particularly the full time staff and Coordinators who make it possible. Time off is honored but the days you can have time off is limited. Majority of holidays and weeks throughout the summer and fall are blocked out to request time off. The insurance offers minimal dental benefits and is expensive. Security in store is lax and most often store associates are expected to act as security to deter theft. Never enough staff to get daily duties done. Always cutting hours to save on payroll yet still expect to have all work done on a daily basis. Promise to promote associates but either never do or are slow about doing so. Raises are terrible and reviews are done in a way so that you are guaranteed to get a poor raise even if you do an excellent job.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to communicate better with its staff. Appreciate the hard work and dedication of your employees as opposed to seeing this as a threat to your job. Interact and support your coordinators as they are the backbone of your store. When employees speak up about unfair practices do not retaliate by cutting their hours or demoting them. Managers need a course in business professionalism. Learn how to talk to your staff and treat them with the same amount of respect they give you as opposed to talking down and berating them on the sales floor and in front of customers.

Uncooperative and double standards

Dallas, TX

Prosgreat store employees. good vacation pay. Overall a friendly environment at store level.

ConsThere is a lack of leadership with higher management at the district manager and regional manager level. They communicate amongst themselves, not to store level staff to provide direction. Double standards, ethnic and homophobic discrimination.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should work harder at training and developing their assistant managers. And they should take ownership for their own mistakes as opposed to blaming lower level managers and staff

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not an Ideal Job

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBeing surrounded by great merchandise and benefits.

ConsThe store Manager was very disrespectful and manipulative to anyone below her. Turn over rate was high and because of this the work got dumped on the Assistant Manager's plate, while the SM sat back and relaxed.The company makes it hard to get rid of bad employees, but easy for good employees to want to leave. The amount of work expected out of employees is ridiculous, especially for only paying minimum wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are an Assistant Manager and are having problems with your Store Manager use the hotline to place complaints, don't worry about creating an awkward situation, speak up! As for Store Managers, help your Assistant Mangers out if needed, don't dump everything on them. Care about your employees success and they will care about yours! Lastly, for zone managers continue to engage with employees and offer additional incentives for employee who call the hotline with in a certain time frame, so you can really gauge what is going on in the store. Offer a gift card that will be mailed to their house so feedback stays anonymous. The money spent on this will save you way more money latter by avoiding high turnover rates.

Impossible workload

Paterson, NJ

ProsDiscount, friendly associates, pay was ok

ConsWith 80% part-time ratio it's impossible to complete any task unless it's extremely slow & no call outs (which call outs were at least 3/dy). Can't process & put to floor over 100 boxes in 8hrs & size a full dept & deep clean a full dept with staff only working 4-6hrs/dy-especially when staff must cover fitting rm/cashier die to call outs. Coordinators are completely over worked & under payed.Few stores have loss prevention so you're doing that too. Ridiculous security policy-throwing any type of paper with any writing in separate trash (God forbid you throw in regular trash) & different password for every separate computer system (i.e. 1 different for deposit,email,merch email,library). Mgmt schedule done poorly with all mgrs leaving @4 with no mid mgr (so if you're 1-CL you have to take dinner @3) or no lunch at all to try to get truck out. Poor scheduling over all & store manager gave no support to help with backed up work. Register systems & markdown system is completely out of date for such a profitable company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your assistant managers & coordinators better thru actions-not just talk. Manage schedule in way that reduces call outs by giving more hours to key closing staff. Listen to staff & make workload more equal.

Do not work here

Merchandise Associate (Former Employee)

ProsDoesn't require a lot of thinking when working.
    Some co-workers are nice and welcoming.

Cons1. Training is non-existent. No one trained me properly and mean co-workers snapped at me when I had a question. No one explained anything to me.
    And those mean co-workers don't even say hi to the customers. Why are they working at Marshalls if they are going to just ignore your customers?! I simply don't get it.

2. Communication between managers is non-existent. They don't talk to each other and don't know what they're doing.

3. There are 100+ employees at my location and managers hardly care about anyone.

4. Pay is minimum wage, no extra payroll so they cut hours constantly.

5. 10% employee discount is a joke. A joke.

6. Physically tiring because you'll be on your feet all day, you only get 15 minute break if you're working less than 6 hours. They will constantly schedule you for 5 hours so you don't actually get 45 minute break.

7. Inconsistent scheduling. Managers are really slow and inept when it comes to scheduling so you'll never know what hours you'll be working next week. They kept scheduling me on my day offs and I constantly had to tell them to fix it. Such a hassle/pain.

8. Some managers are really mean and discriminating. They will look down upon you and belittle you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not threaten your employees with the hours. That's very cruel.
    Stop treating your workers like dirt please. We are people, too.
    Also, pay more! and give more discounts!

Great at first turned out to be the worst experience of my life!

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDepends on your district manager, my previous two were amazing, they cared about you first and then spoke about work, and the last nothing was good enough. I busted my butt for fives years with the company. And left with a HORRIBLE taste in my mouth!

Pay is decent for mgmt. and I did love my job until the leadership changed

ConsOverworked. Not enough support and when ask for support it got ingorned.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe open door policy sucks!

A stressful and hostile environment!

Front End Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Petoskey, MI

ProsThe customers and the merchandise. If you enjoy part time work, it's great!

ConsToo much favoratism! If you suck up to the Managers, they liked you.

Advice to Senior ManagementImproper and unclear training, what goes at one store doesn't count and isn't enforced at another.
    If the Manager doesn't like you, even though you're doing a good job, you're done! They make your job so miserable for you that you don't want to come into work! If you request a meeting, there's always a reason why they can't talk to you, or they tell you to just "get over it". Requests and complaints to upper management go unheard!! The Manager would cuss and threaten us with dismissal!!! There's also the changing of your schedule without notifying you it's been changed! If you call in asking if your schedule has been changed, they get angry with you and scold you like a child in front of all the other employees!! I worked there for 7 months, full time as a Front End Coordinator,and I never received my insurance that I submitted from Day one!! There is a constant revolving door with regard to employment there! It's too unprofessional!!!

Not enjoyable

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
    Boston, MA

ProsCo-workers
    Weekly pay (not much though)

ConsPay
    Management was terrible
    "Training" isnt training at all

Long time employees are mistreated and undervalued.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Lodi, CA

ProsYou will have gas money and possibly be able to pay your phone bill.

ConsThere is no seniority. You get underpaid and being at this company for years makes no difference. You will train new employees to be in the position you have wanted to be in. There is no room in this company for growth unless you are a favorite. If your working at Marshalls plan on having two jobs...

Advice to Senior ManagementOversee your managers outside of scheduled visits. Make sure all associates are treated fairly and have a voice.

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Marshalls reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Marshalls CEO Carol Meyrowitz . All 372 reviews posted anonymously by Marshalls employees.