Marshalls Reviews

539 reviews filtered by
2.9
Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school (in 24 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, your weekly hours are sometimes contingent on how many credit cards you are pushing (in 46 reviews)

• Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike (in 44 reviews)

1. Marshalls

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

Cet to Work with amazing people

Cons

Work hard not enough pay

2. Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsford, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsford, NY

I worked at Marshalls part-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Occasional 20% discount
    - a lot of hours

Cons

There is so much turnover at this location because employees are treated so poorly and with contempt. Managers were not flexible with scheduling; they would give me twice as many hours as I requested when I accepted the job and would make me find someone to take the shifts I couldn't work (and didn't ask for in the first place). The store is huge and severely understaffed. Some nights I had to clean up the thousands of shoes by myself, or get pulled out of my busy department to help in another. There is no limit in the dressing room, and people would normally bring about 30 pieces in, making sorting difficult. The dressing room caused me very severe stress, and I specifically asked not to be scheduled there but would be assigned to it anyways. I eventually left after giving two weeks notice. I returned to the store once as a customer and was treated rudely by a manager that I had worked for, which I don't think was after since I had always worked hard and did my best for the store.

Treat your employees better, maybe the environment would be less hostile and people would be willing to stay so you wouldn't be understaffed when people just don't show up or quit because they hate the job so much.

3. Cashier

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

Nothing about marshalls is nice.

Cons

Lack of management. They like working you like a dog. Very disrespectful. I would never recommend working for a company so selfish and u thoughtful!!!

Horrible management

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Marshalls full-time (more than a year)

Pros

10% discount. Associates are nice and friendly. Doesn't require too much from normal part-time associates. They are flexible with school schedules.

Cons

If you don't sell credit cards then you should find another job fast. Coordinators are given unrealistic expectations. The more you move up, the worse they treat you.

Treat your employees with more respect. If you want open-door policy be more personable and less out-for-blood.

I would NOT recommend anyone to this place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

Nice customer and some nice working associates and a pretty new and clean store.

Cons

weak pay usually the minimum wage and poor associate discount only 10 % most sales are this good if not better. The worst problem is store management. Store manager s always looking to blame someone else for the stores problems. Never will accept any responsibility or claim that she made a mistake. The store has lost some really good and valuable people based on the attitude of the store manager,she is the worst!!!!!

How about some actual training for ANYONE considering a STORE Managers position,to make sure they know exactly HOW to run a store and not just be fussed at by the terrible district manager for what the manager did wrong!

Odd lack of communication from "management"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Marshalls part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The easiest pay ever. Working fitting room is so easy it's almost tiring, though. It's very boring. But working the sales floor is great. Didn't get register trained. Now I think I suspect why.

Cons

I suspect some quiet discrimination at the store I worked at. It's funny...the video we watched proudly states that marshalls supports diversity, yet there were so many non-white team members and not a single non-white manager. Also, one of the managers was a rude woman who never bothered to ask my name.
    I was seasonal, was sick in my second month of work with bronchitis. i missed more than a few days of work so it's understandable that they'd let me go. What I didn't understand was why they didn't have the balls to tell me to my face. Are they incapable of talking to me like a human being? Guess not. I saw they changed my schedule from the two shifts I still had that last week to no shifts at all. And then treated me like an idiot, even though I have a photo of the schedule they actually switched out. Truly childish and cowardly.

Why give advice? They don't really care.

It was good in the beginning, but now that I know better HR wouldn't like some of the stuff that goes on

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Murray, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Murray, UT

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

Easy job that's about it, the main store manager is nice

Cons

They don't recycle anything, they throw Perfectly good stuff away if it doesn't sell instead of donating it to homeless or animal shelters, everybody talks crap about other employees, there are constant payroll problems and they cut hours a lot

Be more professional

Terrible

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Riverside, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Riverside, CA

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

no pros at all seriously

Cons

sucky hours and management too much focus on tjx cards nobody wants one didn't follow my school schedule

no need to have more than 2 managers at one place

Not enough compensation

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

The people there made it not so bad to work at.

Cons

Pay rate, customers. This job sucked the soul out of me. I had to quit or else I see a therapist. With the amount you had to deal with, minimum wage is not enough compensation.

Marshalls bring the worst customers into the store with the "low" prices. How about management makes sure their employees are compensated enough for the amount of b.s. the customers make them deal with. Maybe something like $10/hour. MINIMUM WAGE IS RIDICULOUS.

11. bad

Former Employee - Layaway
    Former Employee - Layaway

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

discounted clothes, clothes, mens fashion, shoes, great costumers,

Cons

dealing with the unorganized structure

Please hire managers that handle things orderly.

Marshalls Photos

The great move...store is beautiful!
Marshalls