Marshalls

Updated August 16, 2014

2.8

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school (in 17 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike (in 37 reviews)

• You will be bombarded every FIVE MINUTES to see if you got them a credit card or not (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Hours are nice, they don't try to kill you

Cons

To many checklists for managers to complete weekly
    Theft is a problem with grab and runs and employees can't do anything about it or you'll get fired!

Rethink return policy, get some lp

Easy & Annoying

Pros

Loved the customer experience and working at the location.

Cons

Hated my actual coworkers and managers

it seems so good but really isn't

Pros

the people are really why most of us come to work everyday

Cons

credit cards are all they care about. short staffed and under paid

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

my ugly work experience w/Marshalls

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Louisville, KY

Pros

10 % employee discount,friendly customers.

Cons

Where to start,store manager is biased and she has her "pets" Not all associates are treated equally or fairly. Store manager doesn't have a clue how to run a store correctly and the employees talk about her behind her back and nicely to her face. She needs to be working at a library where there is little to no customer intervention. I would NEVER recommend this company to ANYONE wanting a job,unless it is to use them to get experience (like most younger associates do) and then definitely MOVE ON to a REAL company that treats you fairly.

You need to work with and analyze the people you put into place to represent your company because many of them don't really understand the concept of "repeat business" that comes from treating customers with some respect and act you really give a crap.

company was great but local management was not.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Crofton, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Crofton, MD

Pros

Weekly pay check was very nice. The pay was fair. I was told I only had to work 45 hours. there is a discount on merchandise. The insurance was good and pretty inexpensive. It would be very easy to move up.

Cons

In general: the company is anti-customer service. you are not expected to talk to or help customers. The only customer service you provide is at the register. The policy changed so much between the area manager, the company and the LP team that you were constantly being corrected and made to feel like an idiot for listening to the last info you were given.

The situation I was put into, hopefully is not vindictive to most stores or districts: I was pulled out of training after 2 weeks and put in charge of a store that only had one other manager, that was basically just a body. I worked 7 am to 11 pm 6 days a week for 6 months. I was not allowed to hire a men's, women's, hardliner's, cash office, stockroom or customer services coordinator (our volume dictated all of these roles were to be filled) so I did that all myself. After the real store manager got back from FLMA she was, well, not nice is the best thing I could say. I left not long after she came back.

Pretty fun, and challenging on a daily basis.

Current Employee - Shoe Department  in  Cape May Court House, NJ
    Current Employee - Shoe Department in Cape May Court House, NJ

Pros

I work in the shoe department and time flies very fast since there are usually a ton of shoes to put out.

Cons

Low wages and minimal hours, but the employees are usually a hoot to listen to. Customers are pretty much pigs and you must pick up after them as if they were kids.

Use more psychology to get more work done. Commissions should be given on credit apps. There was a time when this was so.

Worst Job Ever!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Loved working with my co-workers and the 20% discount that you received every once in awhile.

Cons

Rude customers, perverted manager (only would hire females and flirt with customers while shopping on the floor), pushing TJX cards to customers you see everyday since it was a community based store, returns and exchanges (people will try to return worn clothes, change the tag, or just try to get money back for everything), and recieving less hours but instead hire more associates. Some mangers would act like your life revolved around Marshalls.

Change the return policy!

Not a bad job. Always stay busy so times goes by fast.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Okemos, MI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Okemos, MI

Pros

Mostly busy work so you dont have to clock watch. Working on trucks days are the best, donthave to deal with customers.

Cons

Most of the time, you will have to work register at one point in time

Always nice and fair with scheduling

Customer Service Entry Level

Former Employee - Cashier/Associate  in  Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Cashier/Associate in Fairfax, VA

Pros

It is a very diverse employee pool. However, the majority of the employees are great to work with. Many are willing to help each other through out the shift despite some cultural and language barriers. If you like shopping this particular store you get a decent discount considering they already have low prices.

Cons

The customers can be inconsiderate by making a mess through the store and sometimes expecting a discount on an already discounted item. It can be physically demanding on busy weekends as you try to keep your department looking presentable due to inconsiderate customers.

Value the hard work of your employee.

It probably depends on which Marshalls you work at, but I found the employees were ruder than the customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Discounts
    Knowing what clothes and shoes are out
    Great deals on winter coats

Cons

Rude people everywhere
    Store is always messy no matter how much you try to clean it up. Its like picking up after little children over an over
    People stealing clothes

The manager I had was strict, which I liked. Me and her were cool. People acted like they had sense when she was around. She was orderly and didn't take any back talk from anyone. She only worked 2 nights a week though.

Worked for Marshalls? Contribute to the Community!