Marshalls Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Lame

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

The workers were friendly, There was always work to be done

Cons

You were pressured to sell TJX Rewards cards, There weren't enough hours, The pay was low

Advice to Management

Pay more, Chill out with the TJX Cards, Give more hours, Treat the workers better

2. Teenager Job

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Naples, FL

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great selection of merchandise to choose from

Cons

-Lack of communication
    -Low employee discount
    They hire so many people but never have enough workers on the floor if your a million dollar store you should be able to affrod payrole to have workers on and off season its not fair for others to pick up the slack of the other workers. Stop being cheap! Not everyone wants a credit card Yes it is our job as assocites to offer the TJX rewards card to each and every customer but to push it as much as they want you to its rediculous! It makes the customers feel uncomfortable and they know its just like all the other stores trying to sell me a credit card!

Advice to Management

Learn how to speak to your works we are not your dogs! Listen to your workers!

3. Another company turning retail into rocket science....

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Marshalls full-time

Pros

Managers work five days a week through Christmas season.
    Vacation benefits (2 weeks after one year).

Cons

Never get out on time. Managers do everything! Unload trucks, ring register, merchandise pack out, all operational duties....there is Never enough staff!!
    Every day new tasks and reports and goals, but there isn't even enough time to get the basics done! Hourly employees are handled with "kid gloves" and managers are beat up for everything!

Advice to Management

If the stores are exceeding sales, give them more payroll to work with!

5. Marshall clothing store

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

Its was ok, I worked there for 3yrs, you can make alot of friends

Cons

It becomes very irritating and starts to drag, hours are not always great

Flexible Employer

Former Employee - Men's Coordinator in La Mirada, CA
    Former Employee - Men's Coordinator in La Mirada, CA

I worked at Marshalls full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you are just starting a career in the realm of retail, then this place is for you. They are flexible with hours, so if you are still attending school, they will work with you. If you are hungry to grow up in the company they will support that as well as long as you show promise. If working full time, they offer pretty decent benefits too.

Cons

If working in a customer service position (cashier, management, sales floor associate), having patience is a must and absolutely necessary. Having a positive outlook is a benefit too because if you happen to be a negative person, this place will drain you.

7. Men's coordinator

Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Washington, MO
    Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Washington, MO

I have been working at Marshalls full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the merchandising freedoms and the products the company purchases. My fellow staff is amazing and the management team is great.

Cons

The discount is small. Compared to many other retail companies ours is always the smallest. But with the already low merchandise prices it is understandable.

8. Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work system for merchandise to be out out and taken in was wonderful. I am currently at Dollar General and dislike the lack of organization.

Cons

Not being able to stop thieves.

9. Balanced Hours, Liveable Environment. but CLOSING SUCKS.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in North Brunswick, NJ

I worked at Marshalls part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You'll mostly be straightening things (objects and clothes) up, as you would do to your home (hanging this up over and over). Occasionally through-out the week you'll bring new merchandise on the floor, re-arrange the fixtures, and send old stuff to the racks, so there can be variety in work occasionally.

Cons

Depending on the location you work at, it can be harder work due to high-traffic, people/children continuously messing up the cleaning you do. Work can be tedious, and repetitious, be warned.

CLOSING CAN BE HORRIBLE, especially because the management will often assign you overly-large areas, areas so large that it is logically impossible for one employee to complete (areas two to three people should be closing on).

Advice to Management

Have more employees on assigned areas, and don't over-whelm one employee with closing on a huge-area. Make closing tasks that are do-able for the employees.

10. Lot of work, little of pay...

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

Most of the supervisors were promoted from a position you could have held. They usually understand what we the sales floor associates have to deal with. The same cannot be said for all of the managers.

Lots of people to voice your concerns to. LOTS, there are usually 3 different managers in the building that you could speak to. Not to forget there are also supervisors, also known as coordinators.

Extremely flexible with your schedule. If you put in a request at least two weeks ahead of time, there's a 99% chance they will follow up on your request and won't schedule you on the requested day.

Cons

Some of the management can be pretty selfish. They'll send an employee to break one hour into their shift if that's what would be best for them.

Sometimes you'll get called back to your work station before your 15 minute break was up. Because they try to time everyone's break.

I'm one of the favorites but there's favoritism here..... Management definitely does favoritism here. Not even a single doubt about it.

Advice to Management

Don't start people at minimum wage, I think everyone should start at $9 an hour for the work that's required here. Then every 6 months along with their review they'll get their increase. 8.75 after tax means I make like 6 an hour.

Avoid the great mall location

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Marshalls part-time

Pros

- Always kept busy, hardly any down time
    - Had great co-workers which made the job more enjoyable, during my 10 months working there.

Cons

- Like all retail jobs, it requires you to be on your feet
    - Always understaffed. Your normal day will consist of a few cashiers working the registers and only 1-2 people working each department. Because of this, you will always get called to be a backup cashier most of the day if you are working the floor. By the time you get back to your department, it will be a huge mess and you will constantly hear complaints from your managers for not keeping your department clean. It is not our fault that we are understaffed, we were doing the best we can. Constantly giving us crap about how we are not doing the job doesn't help.
    - Expects too much from you for being paid minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. There is a reason why a lot of people quit here not long after they start.

RSS Feed </> Embed