Marshalls Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
2.8

Marshalls President & CEO Carol Meyrowitz
Carol Meyrowitz

Pros
  • Flexible schedule for part-timers going to school (in 21 reviews)

• Works as a easy part time job but there is very little potential for growth (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, your weekly hours are sometimes contingent on how many credit cards you are pushing (in 44 reviews)

• Very low pay : raise did not roll over with minimum wage hike (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

I like marshalls the clothes are great.

I have been working at Marshalls

Pros

I like being around customers and helping them. meeting new people all the time is great.

Cons

The manager of my department is always yelling, talking down to me, and calling me out to everyone at work.

Don't let managers talk to the employees in a rude manner.

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lake Charles, LA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lake Charles, LA

I worked at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation was moderate.

Cons

Many of the staff were felons, the management was terrible, the turnover rate was sky high, and the customers were out of luck if then genuinely needed help. The lack of organization from management caused serious issues with schedules and employees are hardly considered.

Get new lower level management.

overworked and lack of training

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours cool people eclectic customers

Cons

lack of training and they like to understaff to save money and work the employees to death.

push for more payroll so you can be properly staffed.

Easy & Annoying

I worked at Marshalls

Pros

Loved the customer experience and working at the location.

Cons

Hated my actual coworkers and managers

company was great but local management was not.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Crofton, MD
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Crofton, MD

I worked at Marshalls full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Weekly pay check was very nice. The pay was fair. I was told I only had to work 45 hours. there is a discount on merchandise. The insurance was good and pretty inexpensive. It would be very easy to move up.

Cons

In general: the company is anti-customer service. you are not expected to talk to or help customers. The only customer service you provide is at the register. The policy changed so much between the area manager, the company and the LP team that you were constantly being corrected and made to feel like an idiot for listening to the last info you were given.

The situation I was put into, hopefully is not vindictive to most stores or districts: I was pulled out of training after 2 weeks and put in charge of a store that only had one other manager, that was basically just a body. I worked 7 am to 11 pm 6 days a week for 6 months. I was not allowed to hire a men's, women's, hardliner's, cash office, stockroom or customer services coordinator (our volume dictated all of these roles were to be filled) so I did that all myself. After the real store manager got back from FLMA she was, well, not nice is the best thing I could say. I left not long after she came back.

my ugly work experience w/Marshalls

Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Louisville, KY

I worked at Marshalls full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

10 % employee discount,friendly customers.

Cons

Where to start,store manager is biased and she has her "pets" Not all associates are treated equally or fairly. Store manager doesn't have a clue how to run a store correctly and the employees talk about her behind her back and nicely to her face. She needs to be working at a library where there is little to no customer intervention. I would NEVER recommend this company to ANYONE wanting a job,unless it is to use them to get experience (like most younger associates do) and then definitely MOVE ON to a REAL company that treats you fairly.

You need to work with and analyze the people you put into place to represent your company because many of them don't really understand the concept of "repeat business" that comes from treating customers with some respect and act you really give a crap.

Worst Job Ever!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Marshalls part-time

Pros

Loved working with my co-workers and the 20% discount that you received every once in awhile.

Cons

Rude customers, perverted manager (only would hire females and flirt with customers while shopping on the floor), pushing TJX cards to customers you see everyday since it was a community based store, returns and exchanges (people will try to return worn clothes, change the tag, or just try to get money back for everything), and recieving less hours but instead hire more associates. Some mangers would act like your life revolved around Marshalls.

Change the return policy!

It probably depends on which Marshalls you work at, but I found the employees were ruder than the customers.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discounts
    Knowing what clothes and shoes are out
    Great deals on winter coats

Cons

Rude people everywhere
    Store is always messy no matter how much you try to clean it up. Its like picking up after little children over an over
    People stealing clothes

The manager I had was strict, which I liked. Me and her were cool. People acted like they had sense when she was around. She was orderly and didn't take any back talk from anyone. She only worked 2 nights a week though.

My review of Marshalls

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marshalls part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The coordinators that I worked with were very helpful when I was training to become a cashier. Those are the people I will remember for their kindness and compassion. The break room had functional vending machines, a fridge, racks to hang coats, and lockers for our private stuff. The store is not so huge so it doesn't take long to get around. The people around me are nice and I haven't had any personal issues with anyone to date.

Cons

My original position was Men's Department Sales Associate. The store is divided into Men's, Women's, Domestics, and Shoes. Each department is supposed to receive two associates, and instead only receives one. So that leaves one person to pull it together: Clothes on hangers, hangers with the correct nubby, clearance in clearance, Phone cases need to find their packaging. It's not bad work, it's just frustrating when one person has to do it all, and at closing time some people groan at the thought of helping another department. It pressures us to be out a half hour after store closing and if we don't, we don't make payroll. Then hours get cut, nobody wins.

I understand that as a part of the retail industry we have to push for excellent customer service. I also understand that we have to push a store brand credit card to customers. But it's come to the point where the actual company has pushed associates to memorize a script that we must give to the customers to gain interest in the credit card. Instead of just asking about it, we must word for word spit this garbage. In my opinion, the credit card would only be worth it if you shop at the place a lot. The 10% you save can be on any purchase you decide to use the coupon for, but it's a one time use. The interest rate on the card is really high so if you don't pay your payments on time, you know the rest. The loyalty card is not worth the hassle. It takes three purchases for you to receive any benefits. The supposed benefits are that you receive emails about upcoming offers at the store, you can enter a raffle to win early shopping hours-about a half hour before the store opens for customers-and "exciting" offers about merchandise that won't be in stores for a couple more weeks. If I get to shop 30 minutes IN THE MORNING before other customers come in, I'd rather wait till the store opens. And often times anyway people confuse the loyalty card for the credit card-the card that ACTUALLY accrues points.

To reiterate, most of my coordinators and managers are good, friendly people. Even the one who has a condescending attitude is a nice person-though that doesn't stop me from being annoyed by his friggin attitude.

But my advice for the CEO is 1) Implement a "You Break it, You Buy it" policy or something. The customers who break something just walk away to avoid any problems, but there is no penalty because they didn't buy it.

2) Do not force a script on the cashiers. I can understand having to spill some spiel about a member ship this, or loyalty that, but making the cashier orate a script to the customer TAKES THE CHARM OUT OF THE TRANSACTION. I already know you'll ask if I want to sign up for a credit card, but you cheerily saying the same words that I heard you say to the last guy make me not want to go to your register. Once you take out the charm of natural speaking, you make the transaction awkward and tiring for both the customer and cashier.

Overworked, Very Little Pay

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Poughkeepsie, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Poughkeepsie, NY

I worked at Marshalls part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with my coworkers. They were very easy-going and helpful all the time. I also enjoyed working at Marshalls as well. The tasks were pretty straightforward and manageable.

Cons

Very little pay for the amount of work that has to be done. The management team at my store also sucked. All they ever did was gossip about everyone and complain about nonsense. Honestly, if you are a high school student looking for work, then this is the place for you to go. Otherwise, do not waste your time working for this company.

Marshalls Photos

The great move...store is beautiful!
Marshalls