Marshfield Clinic Reviews

Reset
3.1
Marshfield Clinic President Brian H. Ewert, MD
Brian H. Ewert, MD

Pros
  • Laudable mission; rich benefit package (in 4 reviews)

• Feels good to provide IT to better and support patient care (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Politics are as bad as it gets, little room for advancement, salaries are on the lower spectrum of Healthcare IT, (in 4 reviews)

• I was told that no one has spares of these phones (in 4 reviews)

1. excellent company

Current Employee - R N in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - R N in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work situation with room to grow. Treat their employees fairly and excellent pay.

Cons

Benefits are expensive. They think like big business without the small guy personal touches that used to be common.

Advice to Management

None

2. Co-workers

Current Employee - Histotechnician in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Histotechnician in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic

Pros

Everyone is friendly and easy to get along with. I look forward to coming to work every day because of all the different personalities

Cons

Many peoplr have been working there for 20+ years so sometimes they can be stuck in their ways because that's just how they've always done it.

3. Twisting and turning

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic

Pros

Solid reputation, many high skilled and dedicated people.

Cons

Old school culture, slowness to recognize and identify necessary change/

Advice to Management

It appears that our health care system CEO is not afraid to make tough decisions. Please fully support her/

Bullying in the workplace

Former Employee - Patient Finance in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - Patient Finance in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked with people who genuinely cared about the quality of work they did. Marshfield is a nice place to live if you enjoy small town life. Good benefits, fair PTO policy.

Cons

Extreme bullying by management and senior staff, no help from HR. Office discipline not consistently imposed, favoritism is common. Very high stress workplace. Terrible pay rate!!!!!

Advice to Management

When you see high employee turn over in certain departments don't assume it is due to there being entry level jobs. More than likely it is due to employee abuse. Please read the opinion surveys! We fill them out for a reason.

Decent company for a small town, but the future doesn't look that bright for the company.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For a company that doesn't have a lot of competition in the immediate area, they have maintained competitive salaries. However, I'm seeing that rapidly crumble, so I'm not sure how long that will be correct.

Cons

Training for my position was non-existent. People who have close relationships with management or complain the most get promoted regardless of work ethics and quality of work. Insurance benefits used to be decent, but for 2015 are pretty bad.

Cliffhanger

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, many chances, help when needed.

Cons

Kept in the dark on everything

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedication to excellence in patient care, research and education, benefits are the best I've ever seen, good people to work with, continuing education supported

Cons

Leadership is shared among all physicians so changes are slow as seems to be the case in many large corporations.

Advice to Management

Flatten the organizational structure and empower employees to be more accountable for improvements and innovation so change can occur more quickly, foster employee growth and career development

9. IS Project Manager

Former Employee - IS Project Manager in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - IS Project Manager in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good work-life balance, challenging meaningful work, intelligent collegues

Cons

Advice to Management

Shake things up, bring in industry leaders with ties to the community. Community is extremely important to the culture, outsiders do not stay long and tend to leave after a few short years of disruption. There are plenty of talented individuals from the area with outside experience that MCIS could benefit from.

Shine? They don't know it from Shinola!

Former Employee - Physician in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - Physician in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are great. Sadly, they are overworked, under appreciated, and poorly utilized by management.

Cons

Took this job right out of fellowship and worked there for almost 4 years. Honestly, the best decision I made about this place was to leave.

There is too much micromanagement from the top down. Middle managers and administrators make EVERYTHING a battle. This all comes down to the "old boy" network and bullying culture promoted by the system.

Also, because service waits are long, customer service poor, and the location inconvenient, Marshfield Clinic has ceded A LOT of ground/market share to Aspirus and their other competitors in Wausau. This has resulted in a poor payer mix and increasingly non-compliant, entitled, and difficult patients. Meaning you're often finding yourself fighting an uphill battle on the patient care front, as well.

Physician/provider burn-out rates here were abnormally high to begin with and only got worse as Marshfield Clinic sunk further and further into financial strain and insolvency. Retention is exceedingly poor and getting worse year after year. Most providers were looking for new jobs when I was there and many have left in the time since my departure. Those that remain are merely getting their ducks lined in a row before announcing their intent to leave for better, more stable work environments.

Another problem is they can't be trusted to hold true to the terms of a salary agreement. This means that the negotiated production rate/RVU basis that you've negotiated for the upcoming year can NEVER be counted on to be what you actually receive. Invariably, well after the fact, changes are unilaterally made in favor of the Marshfield Clinic. What this means for providers is that they are working harder and harder, and while they generate more revenue for the Marshfield Clinic, they are taking home less for themselves. This also contributes significantly to the high provider burn out rate and also means that you're seeing so many patients that patient care suffers.

Finally, the computer record system here, which was state of the art in 1997, hasn't kept pace with technologic advancement. It's the EHR equivalent of being an AOL user in 2014. Because MCIS is so poorly managed and run, they will never be able to catch up or keep pace with the advances and changes that are necessary to put together an efficient and facile EHR product.

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging. You are terrible at it. Put the providers FIRST. Your current strategy is burning providers out, which is why your retention rates are horrendous. Honor the salary and contract terms you've agreed to. Most importantly, adopt a zero-tolerance policy for workplace intimidation/bullying. Your current head-in-the-sand handling of this MAJOR corporate cultural issue is KILLING morale. And poor provider morale and burnout kills patients!

MCIS-lack of leadership and questionable culture

Former Contractor - Hardware Technician in Marshfield, WI
    Former Contractor - Hardware Technician in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

My immediate coworkers were helpful and fun to work with. The build team was excellent.

Cons

Marshfield Clinic IS department contracts almost everything through Tek Systems. Some employees reported that it took over five years to be an official employee of Marshfield Clinic.

Management was non-existent. Period. I supposedly had several "issues" and "reports" against me, but I got nothing in writing whatsoever. Management never directly told me this, it had to come from Tek Systems. When my 6 month contract expired, I was told that "(insert supervisor's name here) doesn't think you have good customer service." Nothing else. I worked for another employer through the same employment agency and I was constantly working with management. If there was an issue, I talked with my direct supervisor and solved it. To little surprise, I thrived there.

There was one issue that I experienced when I was there in particular that made me lose faith in management. The Ambulatory Surgery department uses portable phones, and both of them were failing. It took me over two months to get them replacements. I was told that no one has spares of these phones. I was told every excuse in the book to why the phones weren't here. Month two into this, we find out that another department has these phones sitting in a box unused. Ambulatory Surgery is a life/death department. To make this department deal with phones (and not to have spares!) that randomly shutoff is unacceptable.

The other thing that was demoralizing about this place was that they didn't let anyone help other departments that were behind. For example, the build team constantly had more work than they could handle. I would constantly want to help them get caught up, but our department got the "we can't" with no explanation. Almost every other company I ever worked for would be thrilled if someone wanted to do more. Not Marshfield Clinic.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites. Period. I think most of upper management should be replaced with personnel that will actually talk with their employees before a problem blows up. I felt like I was in high school dealing with management with all of the favoritism and talking behind your back stuff. Skip the employment agency and pay your employees more.

RSS Feed </> Embed