Marshfield Clinic

Updated November 28, 2014
2.9

Marshfield Clinic President Brian H. Ewert, MD
Brian H. Ewert, MD

Pros
  • Laudable mission; rich benefit package (in 4 reviews)

• Feels good to provide IT to better and support patient care (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Politics are as bad as it gets, little room for advancement, salaries are on the lower spectrum of Healthcare IT, (in 4 reviews)

• I was told that no one has spares of these phones (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent company for a small town, but the future doesn't look that bright for the company.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

For a company that doesn't have a lot of competition in the immediate area, they have maintained competitive salaries. However, I'm seeing that rapidly crumble, so I'm not sure how long that will be correct.

Cons

Training for my position was non-existent. People who have close relationships with management or complain the most get promoted regardless of work ethics and quality of work. Insurance benefits used to be decent, but for 2015 are pretty bad.

IS Project Manager

Former Employee - IS Project Manager in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - IS Project Manager in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good work-life balance, challenging meaningful work, intelligent collegues

Cons

Shake things up, bring in industry leaders with ties to the community. Community is extremely important to the culture, outsiders do not stay long and tend to leave after a few short years of disruption. There are plenty of talented individuals from the area with outside experience that MCIS could benefit from.

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Dedication to excellence in patient care, research and education, benefits are the best I've ever seen, good people to work with, continuing education supported

Cons

Leadership is shared among all physicians so changes are slow as seems to be the case in many large corporations.

Flatten the organizational structure and empower employees to be more accountable for improvements and innovation so change can occur more quickly, foster employee growth and career development

Cliffhanger

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Marshfield, WI
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Marshfield, WI

I have been working at Marshfield Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home, many chances, help when needed.

Cons

Kept in the dark on everything

Shine? They don't know it from Shinola!

Former Employee - Physician in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The staff are great. Sadly, they are overworked, under appreciated, and poorly utilized by management.

Cons

Took this job right out of fellowship and worked there for almost 4 years. Honestly, the best decision I made about this place was to leave.

There is too much micromanagement from the top down. Middle managers and administrators make EVERYTHING a battle. This all comes down to the "old boy" network and bullying culture promoted by the system.

Also, because service waits are long, customer service poor, and the location inconvenient, Marshfield Clinic has ceded A LOT of ground/market share to Aspirus and their other competitors in Wausau. This has resulted in a poor payer mix and increasingly non-compliant, entitled, and difficult patients. Meaning you're often finding yourself fighting an uphill battle on the patient care front, as well.

Physician/provider burn-out rates here were abnormally high to begin with and only got worse as Marshfield Clinic sunk further and further into financial strain and insolvency. Retention is exceedingly poor and getting worse year after year. Most providers were looking for new jobs when I was there and many have left in the time since my departure. Those that remain are merely getting their ducks lined in a row before announcing their intent to leave for better, more stable work environments.

Another problem is they can't be trusted to hold true to the terms of a salary agreement. This means that the negotiated production rate/RVU basis that you've negotiated for the upcoming year can NEVER be counted on to be what you actually receive. Invariably, well after the fact, changes are unilaterally made in favor of the Marshfield Clinic. What this means for providers is that they are working harder and harder, and while they generate more revenue for the Marshfield Clinic, they are taking home less for themselves. This also contributes significantly to the high provider burn out rate and also means that you're seeing so many patients that patient care suffers.

Finally, the computer record system here, which was state of the art in 1997, hasn't kept pace with technologic advancement. It's the EHR equivalent of being an AOL user in 2014. Because MCIS is so poorly managed and run, they will never be able to catch up or keep pace with the advances and changes that are necessary to put together an efficient and facile EHR product.

Quit micromanaging. You are terrible at it. Put the providers FIRST. Your current strategy is burning providers out, which is why your retention rates are horrendous. Honor the salary and contract terms you've agreed to. Most importantly, adopt a zero-tolerance policy for workplace intimidation/bullying. Your current head-in-the-sand handling of this MAJOR corporate cultural issue is KILLING morale. And poor provider morale and burnout kills patients!

MCIS-lack of leadership and questionable culture

Former Employee - Hardware Technician in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - Hardware Technician in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

My immediate coworkers were helpful and fun to work with. The build team was excellent.

Cons

Marshfield Clinic IS department contracts almost everything through Tek Systems. Some employees reported that it took over five years to be an official employee of Marshfield Clinic.

Management was non-existent. Period. I supposedly had several "issues" and "reports" against me, but I got nothing in writing whatsoever. Management never directly told me this, it had to come from Tek Systems. When my 6 month contract expired, I was told that "(insert supervisor's name here) doesn't think you have good customer service." Nothing else. I worked for another employer through the same employment agency and I was constantly working with management. If there was an issue, I talked with my direct supervisor and solved it. To little surprise, I thrived there.

There was one issue that I experienced when I was there in particular that made me lose faith in management. The Ambulatory Surgery department uses portable phones, and both of them were failing. It took me over two months to get them replacements. I was told that no one has spares of these phones. I was told every excuse in the book to why the phones weren't here. Month two into this, we find out that another department has these phones sitting in a box unused. Ambulatory Surgery is a life/death department. To make this department deal with phones (and not to have spares!) that randomly shutoff is unacceptable.

The other thing that was demoralizing about this place was that they didn't let anyone help other departments that were behind. For example, the build team constantly had more work than they could handle. I would constantly want to help them get caught up, but our department got the "we can't" with no explanation. Almost every other company I ever worked for would be thrilled if someone wanted to do more. Not Marshfield Clinic.

Stop playing favorites. Period. I think most of upper management should be replaced with personnel that will actually talk with their employees before a problem blows up. I felt like I was in high school dealing with management with all of the favoritism and talking behind your back stuff. Skip the employment agency and pay your employees more.

Good

Former Employee - Director in Marshfield, WI
    Former Employee - Director in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time

Pros

The people are awsome. Great work ethic for 99% of the non-physician staff.

Cons

Physicians tend to feel entitled yet not engaged in the organization and/or culture. Management of the organization is poor as a result of the governance model where too many physicians can impede growth or process improvement.

Financially credential each physician. If they don't meet minimum standards, free their future so they can contribute to another organization who doesn't mind going down the tubes.

Most physicians who've written reviews need to find out how bad things are in much of the rest of the country.

Former Employee - Physician in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

While not the highest compensation in the midwest, you are protected from much of the painful hassles existing in most small clinic operations that exist in most of the country. Also, compensation is considerably more than in an academic center or on the west coast. Benefits during my employment were excellent, but appear to have settled into the ordinary range, except to note that Marshfield still has a defined contribution retirement plan, _in_addition_ to the 401k. Time off is more than reasonable and CME benefits are far more than most other clinics. Finally, while it may seem like the electronic medical record will take over your life, it actually works as advertised, which is more than I can say for most 'certified' systems.

Cons

I think others have summed this up nicely. If you 'fit', you'll do very well. If you want everything to be your way, you'll struggle - to be efficient, there has to be some uniformity. Many of the patients are spoiled, and imagine they could get the same level of care anywhere. Despite some of the micromanagement concerns, some longtime physicians seem to flout the rules. And corporate counsel are extremely risk averse, but I honestly miss the deliberative approach not that I've seen how willy-nilly delicate issues are managed elsewhere. While the salary setting process for physicians seems excessively labor intensive and detailed (described elsewhere), it is largely in response to physician demand. Some managers have never worked outside the system and have a very limited imagination.

Don't be so secretive. I've heard about the recent management shake-up, and am appalled at the way people were notified of their job status by email. People need to have hope for the future, and I'm not sure that really is apparent now.

MCIS is not the amazing start-up they think they are.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. These were carried over from the parent company, Marshfield Clinic. Vacation policy is generous. Flexible work schedules are nice.

Cons

Leadership in MCIS is lacking. The CIO and senior leadership tell people what they want to hear, not what they can actually deliver. Many people resigned in the the last year because of lack of confidence in leadership, and the toxic work environment. There is constant churning with re-orgs and changing technologies so that little has been delivered in the past 3 years.

Fire the CIO. The organization will be better served with someone in that postion that can actually lead.

MCIS Leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marshfield, WI

I worked at Marshfield Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part about working at Marshfield Clinic and MCIS is that if you want to live in a small city in the middle of no where, it is really the only place to work as a professional.

Cons

Leadership is horrible. No one is empowered to make decisions. If you are not one of the favorites, you are no one and you can't get anywhere in the organization. Leadership has no conceptual understanding of the reality they are living in. They don't know how to deliver software and solutions in a timely manner. If there was a fundamental change in leadership, they might have a chance.

Take a deep hard look at what you are trying to accomplish and why. Then fire all those C-Level people and get in people that can deliver.