Marshfield Clinic

Be The First To
Add Photos

Marshfield Clinic President Brian H. Ewert, MD

Brian H. Ewert, MD

Feeling less proud all the time.

ProsHas average employee benefits, but they are chipping away at a steady pace of what was once a really wonderful deal in benefits. There are many truly wonderful dedicated people to work together and consider them as friends.

ConsIt seems like they are teetering at the edge of destruction. If you are an employee who gives the extra, be prepared to not be rewarded but simply given more work and ask to be appreciative you didn't lose your job.
    When initiatives to improve the business are launched the enthusiasm is like a bonfire. Then somehow before it even reaches all levels it fizzles to a match light. One is left wondering often.."hey what ever happened to that idea they spent so much time and money on?" And then here comes the next launch
    without any explanation of the outcome of the last rah rah.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest to the employees and the public. Reward those who do reach to give more than their job description.
    Start good ideas and follow through even when it becomes difficult.

Upper management micromanaging

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome people are really great to work with.

ConsMicromanaging, requests for information - no formal process, not very flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave the details be and allow the competent individuals you hired do their jobs.

Most physicians who've written reviews need to find out how bad things are in much of the rest of the country.

Physician (Former Employee) Marshfield, WI

ProsWhile not the highest compensation in the midwest, you are protected from much of the painful hassles existing in most small clinic operations that exist in most of the country. Also, compensation is considerably more than in an academic center or on the west coast. Benefits during my employment were excellent, but appear to have settled into the ordinary range, except to note that Marshfield still has a defined contribution retirement plan, _in_addition_ to the 401k. Time off is more than reasonable and CME benefits are far more than most other clinics. Finally, while it may seem like the electronic medical record will take over your life, it actually works as advertised, which is more than I can say for most 'certified' systems.

ConsI think others have summed this up nicely. If you 'fit', you'll do very well. If you want everything to be your way, you'll struggle - to be efficient, there has to be some uniformity. Many of the patients are spoiled, and imagine they could get the same level of care anywhere. Despite some of the micromanagement concerns, some longtime physicians seem to flout the rules. And corporate counsel are extremely risk averse, but I honestly miss the deliberative approach not that I've seen how willy-nilly delicate issues are managed elsewhere. While the salary setting process for physicians seems excessively labor intensive and detailed (described elsewhere), it is largely in response to physician demand. Some managers have never worked outside the system and have a very limited imagination.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so secretive. I've heard about the recent management shake-up, and am appalled at the way people were notified of their job status by email. People need to have hope for the future, and I'm not sure that really is apparent now.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

MCIS Leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Marshfield, WI

ProsThe best part about working at Marshfield Clinic and MCIS is that if you want to live in a small city in the middle of no where, it is really the only place to work as a professional.

ConsLeadership is horrible. No one is empowered to make decisions. If you are not one of the favorites, you are no one and you can't get anywhere in the organization. Leadership has no conceptual understanding of the reality they are living in. They don't know how to deliver software and solutions in a timely manner. If there was a fundamental change in leadership, they might have a chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a deep hard look at what you are trying to accomplish and why. Then fire all those C-Level people and get in people that can deliver.

Uncertain times for everyone.

ProsGreat benefit package - keeps me here after 30+ years. Ability to transfer to different departments to broaden skills and value as an employee.

ConsFinancial difficulties that the company is going through is disconcerting. Many layoffs and no communications from leadership - everything is a big secret.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate. If they would communicate employees would feel like trusted members of the organization. Physicians didn't want to change practice due to current financial constraints until their pay was cut. Suddenly it was then it was a big emergency and the physicians finally took it seriously - After employees hasn't gotten a pay raise for 2 years. That's a hard pill to swallow.

Usually a good place to work

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

ProsThe benefits package - health insurance, retirement plans, dental, vision, and PTO - are great. You are also challenged with learning a diverse amount of server software packages and setup, which help keep the job interesting

ConsNever seem to get a chance to completely finish a project. We seem to have a lot of last minute new projects that constantly trickle in, and they have to get done yesterday. While we have a large number of project managers, it doesn't seem that many of them understand how to properly manage the time required for projects, which leads to not properly setting deadlines. And it is rare for someone to actually say, "No, that is not a realistic deadline. We need to finish these other projects first and then create a reasonable time frame for this new project."

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow projects to be completely finished before trying to add new services and technologies that have not been thoroughly reviewed and planned. Things would go a lot smoother if we did this. Allow ideas from the bottom rungs to get to the top level, and actually implement some of them.

The only place I worked that was worse was McDonalds

Physician (Former Employee) Marshfield, WI

Prosfriendly and courteous nurses and staff

Consbullying, nepotism, poor communication, terrible management, financial insolvency, benefits cuts, wage cuts, vindictive management, culture of lying, location

Advice to Senior ManagementI was a physician here. This was my first job out of residency. The Marshfield Clinic makes a point of preying on young, inexperienced physicians and selling them essentially a bill of goods when it comes to the job and the work environment. This place is going down FAST. Layoffs. Salary cuts. Benefits cuts. The hits keep coming. The BEST case scenario is that they go bankrupt, someone comes in and FIRES EVERYONE IN LEADERSHIP. And realize I'm using "leadership" lightly. You can't trust this bunch to lead you out of a well-lit, 5 by 5 room, with only one door, much less an organization of this size. My advice to any young physician considering employment here... "STAY AWAY!!!"

Average healthcare facility with little respect for employees.

Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) Marshfield, WI

ProsThis clinic hired me right out of college even though I had no experience. They spent a lot of time and money training me in, which I appreciated.

ConsThe clinic will never support you if you are injured or sick or if unforeseen circumstances interfere with work. They paid so low as to be off the bell curve for my position. They do nothing to promote the professional growth of employees. Everything is about money, not the patient.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis place promotes people based on connections rather than experience and potential. I did not feel like a valued employee.

Great atmosphere at first

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Marshfield, WI

ProsThe benefits are really good.

ConsThey are too focused on the bottom line and not enough on quality of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on the quality of your employees' work, not on how quickly it gets done.

Promising future, on paper

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat starting pay for someone out of college or for coasting through. Not a horrible place to work for if you want to live in central WI.

ConsOpen floor plan = lots of noise and distractions. Peers have no incentive to improve themselves. The place is rife with nepotism, favoritism, and a good 'ole boy mentality. If you have talent and are willing to move, you can almost certainly get more money and better benefits by going elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Many in senior management positions have been there too long and have proven themselves incapable of evaluating quality output. Even those who are "hard workers" need to be given the boot if what they produce isn't at all helpful to the company's business goals. Also, get some actual business goals.

I would advice management to pick up a book. Direction needs to be guided by thoughtful analysis of what is going on in the market versus what the business's current and future needs are; not by sitting in on sales pitches from your vendors. I'm sure they will still buy you drinks or take you on trips, even if start to make decisions yourself.

The health of MCIS will fall squarely on it's ability to deliver products and services. And if they fail at that they will still be able to coast on the backs of their obligations to Marshfield Clinic and it's subsidiaries. Just don't expect any of those promises from management about how the place will be a wonderland for employees to come true anytime soon.

Worked for Marshfield Clinic? Contribute to the Community!