Marten Transport Reviews

• Mondovi, WI
2.1
Marten Transport Chairman, President, and CEO Randy Marten
Randy Marten

Good company, but there is a disconnect between managment and training on there floor.

Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Mondovi, WI
    Former Employee - Fleet Manager in Mondovi, WI

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

Very intimate work environment for a large company. Impressed with the management team.

Cons

Like everywhere else, there is less and less concern for employees and more concern for the bottom line. Great management team with good ideas, but team leaders and "mentors" responsible for training really have little experience with training. In their defense, they are expected to carry out their own normal responsibilities AND train new employees. They are spread very thin. It is a high pressure job which involves managing what are often times less than desirable employees.

Implement a "real" training program for new operations employees. Mentors and team leaders need "training" on training! Just because and employee is good at their job doesn't mean they have the skill set to train others.

2. Leadership through intimidation and fear.

Former Employee - Operations in Mondovi, WI
    Former Employee - Operations in Mondovi, WI

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very stable, a leader in their industry - it looks good to have them on your resume.If you listen enough, you'll absorb enough knowledge and be able to use it to your advantage at the next place you work.
    Their methodology of how to run a trucking company is very sound, they know how to make money (while still paying employees fairly) and they are a good investment, if you have the money to play the stock market.

Cons

The management team in the Mondovi terminal leads through intimidation, degradation, and fear. This occurs at all levels, from Randy Marten (ceo) all the way down to supervisors. At any given time, there are multiple employees afraid they will be fired for disagreeing with a manager. Almost every employee in operations has been yelled at publicly to the point of embarrassment at least one time in their career. this is unless you're one of their "favorites", then you can't do anything wrong. This is not to say the 'yellers' are bad people - they just have to make themselves fit in to the culture.

Nepotism abounds, but since the pool of employees in the area is small, I don't think this is abnormal.

They rarely promote women beyond "manager" level in operations, even if they are more qualified / a better leader than the director they report to.

I do not know what it is like at outside terminals, but when you have to talk to people there, they seem happy. Also, drivers seem to be treated differently/compensated well, at least employees are told that they are.

Yell less, coach more. Do not discipline employees in front of others. Stop being sexist and borderline racist.

3. Not 100% happy

Current Employee - OTR in Mondovi, WI
    Current Employee - OTR in Mondovi, WI

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not sure on pros really.

Cons

Otr driver but run mid east more then otr.

Give otr driver's otr.

5. How do they get away with it ?

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Mondovi, WI
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Mondovi, WI

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for Marten 1 1/2 year. Marten is a very safe company when it comes to equipment, not when it comes to driver safety. Marten drivers are public safety nightmare waiting to happen,

Cons

My problems with marten was breaking the law.They ask you to log off duty when loading and unloading and the law says all loading and unloading are to be on duty not driving. They want every minute of your time. they want you to sleep on demand so you are driving when you are sleepy and awake when you supposed to be asleep, and you wander why so many drivers have sleep apnea. They want you to sleep at there customer some who don't even have bathrooms for the driver to used because they are closed. Every driver has a system to get the sleep he or she need for operating safety. You can't do this at marten because the drivers managers own you. I think marten operation is a imminent hazard to public safety and the Wisconsin D.O.T and F.M.C.S.A need to take a closer look at this company electronic logs.

Take another look at the law and stop pushing drivers to the limit. May I suggest an electronic survey of all drivers over the Qualcomm. Ask them do they think the company push them to the limit of unsafely operating there equipment when it comes to sleep, showers, eating, and movement. YES or NO. You'll be surprised of the answers, I was!

6. I'm a Happy" Blue bird"

Current Employee - Regional Driver in Mondovi, WI
    Current Employee - Regional Driver in Mondovi, WI

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

New Equipment, Good Benefit's, Great Road support.

Cons

Mandatory Perd pay. More infor from Rumor then Management.

Enhance driver interaction through web site, Safety tests, Complaint dept, monthly or Quarterly web meeting. Via Web cams.

7. very comfortable and fair place to work

Former Employee - Otr Reefer Driver in Mondovi, WI
    Former Employee - Otr Reefer Driver in Mondovi, WI

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

health benefits were great compared to other employers.I was treated very fairly and was very happy with my hometime.The equipment was next to none.Very superior.

Cons

Too much time in New Jersey and one trip to nyc.

Stop messing with the drivers pay.

not a vary good one

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mondovi, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mondovi, WI

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

they pay is pretty descent

Cons

home time is not guranteed managent does not care about their drivers

Marten Transport Photos