Marten Transport

Forced Per Diem is what I didn't like

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good trucks and maintenance department seem to care about drivers more than they used to everyone I talk to seems happy.

Cons

No much home time. Forced Per Diem hurts drivers in the end.

If you would let the per diem program be flexible so not required I would come back to work for you. Per diem just hurts drivers. Not sure if you still have this program.

Have no idea how to train

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a fleet manager you work with some great drivers and some that are not so good. The job itself is fast paced and fun.

Cons

Office politics that is centered around who can kiss the most butt and the constant backstabbing of your fellow employees. The people that they have placed in leadership positions are not educated and they seem hostile to the newer hires who actually put in the work to get a degree. Instead of helping they try to belittle you and if you do not know your place you are quickly "not a fit" which is a joke. The company has so much potential but the leadership is ridiculous as far as your immediate supervisors. As far as upper management goes I did not have direct contact with them but the team leads are a joke.

If you truly want to do whats best for "Marten" then quit the ol Boy network mentality. whose butt you kiss is the one that makes you or break your career not the end result of your job. The team leads have experience in the industry but they have an innate ability to try to throw other people under the bus or to cuss them out when in fact it is a direct correlation to the training that you have given your employees. Place has potential but its a joke.

Not 100% happy

Current Employee - OTR in Mondovi, WI
    Current Employee - OTR in Mondovi, WI

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not sure on pros really.

Cons

Otr driver but run mid east more then otr.

Give otr driver's otr.

PHX-AZ

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

Company is growing. Fast paced environment. The opportunities for growth in the company are endless for those in the "in crowed"

Cons

Zero company culture, unless you consider micromanagement, rampant politics and nepotism culture.

Learn how to manage from a place of support. Treat everyone equally.

Wilsonville dispatchers???

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like being able to take time off to help my folks out. (they are in the 70's & 80's) I appreciate their equipment, it is top notch. And most of the other drivers are friendly enough.

Cons

I drive western regional. I am dispatched out of the Wilsonville terminal. I have found most of the dispatchers there arrogant and belittling towards me and other drivers. They talk negatively about the drivers and treat you as if they are better than your are. When they do, do their job they act as if you owe them for doing you a favor. When you need to get hold of someone in Wilsonville no one answers the phone. Ask them to call you in a message over the QUALCOMM and they never do. Not one time have anyone of them called me even when I was broke down and trying to find out what to do after calling road service. (who are great) When they ask for a favor they rarely compensate all they promise. The arrogant better than anyone attitude is a real turn off. I am considering a change.

Drug test all Wilsonville dispatchers. You might be surprised.

Could be better

I worked at Marten Transport full-time

Pros

Bonus at end of year. My boss was a good guy, but his bosses where not.

Cons

Pay is not where it should be for technicians and other shop personnel. They have cameras all over their properties to make sure no one is "doing anything bad". If someone is standing for too long (2 minutes), the foreman gets a call and tells him to get the tech to get moving. People getting terminated without any warnings when others get 3 warnings. Open all holidays.

You need to fix this, that is why shop personnel are unhappy with Marten. It starts at the top. I can name one person specifically, but will not.

New branch, high pressure

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

I was able to start a career with relatively little related experience with a team of great employees and friendly drivers.

Cons

Lots of pressure, disorganization, mismanagement from above and unwarranted big egos. I often felt like I was being scolded by my father, rather than coached and treated like an adult.

The better you treat your employees, the more you'll get from them and the more loyal they'll be.

Dispatchers are nouveau slave owners

Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid detention but you have to fight for it. Good benefits. Great rigs. Nice loads. Qualcomm works. Mechanics suck. Sorry :-/

Cons

Dispatch-"You have to work this weekend" me-"I can't I am going out of town with my family" d-"you have work to do" m-"I have earned my time off" d- "you will lose your truck" m-"do what you have to do" later found out dispatcher had taken a 4 day weekend.

Train humans not robots.

great experience while i was there

Former Employee - Orientation Routing Clerk in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Orientation Routing Clerk in Ontario, CA

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

they have excellent benefits with little to pay out of pocket and good dental plans

Cons

as time goes bye the company has to change policy

they are vary knoweldgeable and know about different departments

Good Overall Experence

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They actually pay for detention. You usually know how much before you leave the shipper/receiver. Good Equipment. Good miles. Get you home when they said they would IF you give them 2 weeks notice like they ask.

Cons

Sleep machine if you fail their sleep test takes time to get use to (But I hate to admit it, it helped me get better rest). Having to get truck and trailer checked every time you go to a yard (but they are kept up). If you go to CA, you usually have a days wait to get a load out (but I have had that problem with other companies too). No Prepass.

Get the Prepass system. Don't start training for new drivers, keep hiring experienced drivers.
    Raise the mile rates. Use mapquest for paid miles. in this day of computers, address to address is more fair when paying the drivers and charging the customers on your end too.

Marten Transport Photos