Marten Transport Reviews

Reset
2.7
Marten Transport Chairman, President, and CEO Randy Marten
Randy Marten

Pros
  • Good equipment, like the APU's & inverters that are installed on trucks (in 5 reviews)

• Opportunities for career advancement, Truck Driver, Fleet Manager, Senior Management or just entry level office positions (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • home time is not guranteed managent does not care about their drivers (in 4 reviews)

• Forced Per Diem hurts drivers in the end (in 16 reviews)

1. Just started

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with me on the transition.

Cons

So far.. Looks like they have their i"in crowd" already.

Advice to Management

Take advice from those that know.

2. Regional driver

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company good benifits and bonuses

Cons

None that I can list

3. driver

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mondovi, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mondovi, WI

Pros

They pay you for just about everything

Cons

Get your paperwork in quick or you won't get paid for your detention time

fleet manager

Pros

technologically sound, not much more to say

Cons

not enough training, no upward mobility, no vision, throw money around, poor attitudes, not driver oriented even though they say they are

Advice to Management

grow the company and start to recruit better!

6. Area Sales Director

Current Employee - Area Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Area Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Truly care for employees. Have all the tools for success!

Cons

Can not think of any

7. driver

Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Truck Driver in Dallas, TX

Pros

Nice trucks and trailers and dispatchers.

Cons

Don't fire a driver for something that never happened.

8. Worked for marten for 20yrs was a great job for the frist 15yrs last 5 years were not the best.gone down hillfast

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Tractor trailer are good equipment

Cons

Your treated like an idiot

Advice to Management

Look back to who made marten

Former Driver

Pros

Well maintained trucks Apu In cab scanners Quality inverters Downtime pay on faulty trailers Severe weather pay Layover pay one of the best in the industry Holiday pay one of very few trucking companies compensating 401 K Health benefits Detention Pay just after 1 st hour provided completed macros sent, paperwork One of the best when compared to major trucking fleets

Cons

Road Service needs more people not telling driver theres only two person to handle breakdown issues.

Advice to Management

More people needed to work in Road service during nite shift to cater for drivers instead of waiting on phone.Macro s should be sent directly to road service than to dispatch which get sent to road service.Time is money.

10. Leadership through intimidation and fear.

Former Employee - Operations in Mondovi, WI
    Former Employee - Operations in Mondovi, WI

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very stable, a leader in their industry - it looks good to have them on your resume.If you listen enough, you'll absorb enough knowledge and be able to use it to your advantage at the next place you work. Their methodology of how to run a trucking company is very sound, they know how to make money (while still paying employees fairly) and they are a good investment, if you have the money to play the stock market.

Cons

The management team in the Mondovi terminal leads through intimidation, degradation, and fear. This occurs at all levels, from Randy Marten (ceo) all the way down to supervisors. At any given time, there are multiple employees afraid they will be fired for disagreeing with a manager. Almost every employee in operations has been yelled at publicly to the point of embarrassment at least one time in their career. this is unless you're one of their "favorites", then you can't do anything wrong. This is not to say the 'yellers' are bad people - they just have to make themselves fit in to the culture. Nepotism abounds, but since the pool of employees in the area is small, I don't think this is abnormal. They rarely promote women beyond "manager" level in operations, even if they are more qualified / a better leader than the director they report to. I do not know what it is like at outside terminals, but when you have to talk to people there, they seem happy. Also, drivers seem to be treated differently/compensated well, at least employees are told that they are.

Advice to Management

Yell less, coach more. Do not discipline employees in front of others. Stop being sexist and borderline racist.

11. Ridiculously unprofessional

Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver

Pros

The yard is reasonably close to my house. Oh, and once in a blue moon, let's say one week out of four, I actually get a decent paycheck.

Cons

Where do I start? 1. I am constantly picking up trailers that other drivers have dropped with defects and needed repairs. they are the ones who are supposed to take those trailers to get them fixed. Almost weekly I am the one stuck taking it in to be repaired, wasting my drive time and not able to get good mileage. 2. When I finally take home time, I almost always have a list of repairs that need to be made on my truck. On several occasions I came back to find that some, if not all, repairs still had to be done. Not only am I not out on the road making any money, I am expected to sleep in the truck at the yard instead of being with my family or being put up in a hotel. 3. Customer service and or/dispatch scheduling loads to be delivered way after the time it takes me to get to the location, so I am stuck sitting around waiting for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours to make a delivery. Again, not making any money. Are you starting to see a familiar theme here? It is difficult enough being on the road for weeks at a time, away from family and other responsibilities. To have a poor pay check to show for it?

Advice to Management

Get qualified people in your repair shops, in dispatching and customer service positions so your drivers are properly taken care of and are able to do their jobs efficiently. Have better after hour services. Your drivers getting products to your customers in a timely and safe manner is your bread and butter.

RSS Feed </> Embed