Marten Transport

www.marten.com

Marten Transport Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014
Marten Transport – Mondovi – “Peterbilt 387 at Mondovi inspection bay”

Marten Transport – Mondovi – “Peterbilt 387 at Mondovi inspection bay”

Marten Transport Chairman, President, and CEO Randy Marten

Randy Marten

Wilsonville dispatchers???

Truck Driver (Current Employee) Wilsonville, OR

ProsI like being able to take time off to help my folks out. (they are in the 70's & 80's) I appreciate their equipment, it is top notch. And most of the other drivers are friendly enough.

ConsI drive western regional. I am dispatched out of the Wilsonville terminal. I have found most of the dispatchers there arrogant and belittling towards me and other drivers. They talk negatively about the drivers and treat you as if they are better than your are. When they do, do their job they act as if you owe them for doing you a favor. When you need to get hold of someone in Wilsonville no one answers the phone. Ask them to call you in a message over the QUALCOMM and they never do. Not one time have anyone of them called me even when I was broke down and trying to find out what to do after calling road service. (who are great) When they ask for a favor they rarely compensate all they promise. The arrogant better than anyone attitude is a real turn off. I am considering a change.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrug test all Wilsonville dispatchers. You might be surprised.

Could be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBonus at end of year. My boss was a good guy, but his bosses where not.

ConsPay is not where it should be for technicians and other shop personnel. They have cameras all over their properties to make sure no one is "doing anything bad". If someone is standing for too long (2 minutes), the foreman gets a call and tells him to get the tech to get moving. People getting terminated without any warnings when others get 3 warnings. Open all holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to fix this, that is why shop personnel are unhappy with Marten. It starts at the top. I can name one person specifically, but will not.

New branch, high pressure

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI was able to start a career with relatively little related experience with a team of great employees and friendly drivers.

ConsLots of pressure, disorganization, mismanagement from above and unwarranted big egos. I often felt like I was being scolded by my father, rather than coached and treated like an adult.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe better you treat your employees, the more you'll get from them and the more loyal they'll be.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dispatchers are nouveau slave owners

OTR Regional Driver (Current Employee)

ProsPaid detention but you have to fight for it. Good benefits. Great rigs. Nice loads. Qualcomm works. Mechanics suck. Sorry :-/

ConsDispatch-"You have to work this weekend" me-"I can't I am going out of town with my family" d-"you have work to do" m-"I have earned my time off" d- "you will lose your truck" m-"do what you have to do" later found out dispatcher had taken a 4 day weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain humans not robots.

great experience while i was there

Orientation Routing Clerk (Former Employee) Ontario, CA

Prosthey have excellent benefits with little to pay out of pocket and good dental plans

Consas time goes bye the company has to change policy

Advice to Senior Managementthey are vary knoweldgeable and know about different departments

Good Overall Experence

OTR Driver (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThey actually pay for detention. You usually know how much before you leave the shipper/receiver. Good Equipment. Good miles. Get you home when they said they would IF you give them 2 weeks notice like they ask.

ConsSleep machine if you fail their sleep test takes time to get use to (But I hate to admit it, it helped me get better rest). Having to get truck and trailer checked every time you go to a yard (but they are kept up). If you go to CA, you usually have a days wait to get a load out (but I have had that problem with other companies too). No Prepass.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the Prepass system. Don't start training for new drivers, keep hiring experienced drivers.
    Raise the mile rates. Use mapquest for paid miles. in this day of computers, address to address is more fair when paying the drivers and charging the customers on your end too.

A very stressful environment. A company more interested in its problems than the solutions.

Fleet Manager (Current Employee) Carlisle, PA

ProsYou learn how to take your job too seriously. You learn how to fire employees for nothing.

ConsHorrible at taking care of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your office employees as much as the drivers.

Incompetent Dispatch

OTR Regional Driver (Former Employee) Ontario, CA

ProsGood clean Equipment with low miles

ConsYou'r are always late on the delivery and the dispatch is well aware of this, because you are late packing it up "Why"

Advice to Senior ManagementGet Competent Dispatcher's

Definitely NOT the same company it was when I started.

Company Driver (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood equipment, like the APU's & inverters that are installed on trucks.

ConsCompany takes a "one size fits all" approach to dealing with drivers. Constant repeated nagging messages over the Qualcomm that get tuned out. Dispatches that don't have all required info such as temperature info & unclear pick up info (pick up numbers).

Advice to Senior ManagementTell customer service reps to get complete information (temp. requirements for example) for loads. STOP with the nagging, intelligence-insulting qualcomm messages. PLEASE turn off the 10 hour limit on APU/heat/AC usage (it's very annoying to be woken up in the middle of the night freezing or sweating because the climate control shuts off while we're asleep).

Marten

OTR Regional Driver (Current Employee) North Atlanta, GA

ProsHigh miles. Good pay per mile. Great benefits.

ConsHard to get time off. Called back early too many times.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake home time more manageable. Do not called it super regional. It is OTR.

Worked for Marten Transport? Contribute to the Community!