Marten Transport

Marten Transport Chairman, President, and CEO Randy Marten
Randy Marten

Former Driver

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

Well maintained trucks
    Apu
    In cab scanners
    Quality inverters
    Downtime pay on faulty trailers
    Severe weather pay
    Layover pay one of the best in the industry
    Holiday pay one of very few trucking companies compensating
    401 K
    Health benefits
    Detention Pay just after 1 st hour provided completed macros sent, paperwork
    One of the best when compared to major trucking fleets

Cons

Road Service needs more people not telling driver theres only two person to handle breakdown issues.

More people needed to work in Road service during nite shift to cater for drivers instead of waiting on phone.Macro s should be sent directly to road service than to dispatch which get sent to road service.Time is money.

Leadership through intimidation and fear.

Former Employee - Operations in Mondovi, WI
    Former Employee - Operations in Mondovi, WI

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very stable, a leader in their industry - it looks good to have them on your resume.If you listen enough, you'll absorb enough knowledge and be able to use it to your advantage at the next place you work.
    Their methodology of how to run a trucking company is very sound, they know how to make money (while still paying employees fairly) and they are a good investment, if you have the money to play the stock market.

Cons

The management team in the Mondovi terminal leads through intimidation, degradation, and fear. This occurs at all levels, from Randy Marten (ceo) all the way down to supervisors. At any given time, there are multiple employees afraid they will be fired for disagreeing with a manager. Almost every employee in operations has been yelled at publicly to the point of embarrassment at least one time in their career. this is unless you're one of their "favorites", then you can't do anything wrong. This is not to say the 'yellers' are bad people - they just have to make themselves fit in to the culture.

Nepotism abounds, but since the pool of employees in the area is small, I don't think this is abnormal.

They rarely promote women beyond "manager" level in operations, even if they are more qualified / a better leader than the director they report to.

I do not know what it is like at outside terminals, but when you have to talk to people there, they seem happy. Also, drivers seem to be treated differently/compensated well, at least employees are told that they are.

Yell less, coach more. Do not discipline employees in front of others. Stop being sexist and borderline racist.

Otr driver

Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

They have plenty of freight to work with. Lots of miles. Get to see the entire country if you want to.

Cons

They treat me like crap when it comes to home time even after being out 5 weeks. Dispatchers and management are a bunch of slugs!

Treat your drivers with dignity and honor hometine and quit lying about auto detention pay.

Ridiculously unprofessional

Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

The yard is reasonably close to my house. Oh, and once in a blue moon, let's say one week out of four, I actually get a decent paycheck.

Cons

Where do I start?
    1. I am constantly picking up trailers that other drivers have dropped with defects and needed repairs. they are the ones who are supposed to take those trailers to get them fixed. Almost weekly I am the one stuck taking it in to be repaired, wasting my drive time and not able to get good mileage.
    2. When I finally take home time, I almost always have a list of repairs that need to be made on my truck. On several occasions I came back to find that some, if not all, repairs still had to be done. Not only am I not out on the road making any money, I am expected to sleep in the truck at the yard instead of being with my family or being put up in a hotel.
    3. Customer service and or/dispatch scheduling loads to be delivered way after the time it takes me to get to the location, so I am stuck sitting around waiting for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours to make a delivery. Again, not making any money.

Are you starting to see a familiar theme here? It is difficult enough being on the road for weeks at a time, away from family and other responsibilities. To have a poor pay check to show for it?

Get qualified people in your repair shops, in dispatching and customer service positions so your drivers are properly taken care of and are able to do their jobs efficiently. Have better after hour services. Your drivers getting products to your customers in a timely and safe manner is your bread and butter.

Ugh oh....so bad they're like england,srt,Stevens transport etc

Former Employee - Western Region Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Western Region Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing had 5 trucks in 2months

Cons

Pay sliding scale on per diem
    Bad upper management always blaming you even if it not your fault
    Decent drivers here some good more bad

This company needs to tell the truth and not lie every company out there lie like the us military recruiting stop lieing fire all upper management and recruiting, also d.m and hire good former drivers help make company better these college kids don't know crap about trucking

Company Driver

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

Good pay... have to keep an eye on the company

Cons

They will sign yoi up for a 401K without your knowledge and you cant get your money back... This they will do aftter your 90 days are u, also have to work there for 6 months or pay for orientation. ...

Tell the truth

Have no idea how to train

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a fleet manager you work with some great drivers and some that are not so good. The job itself is fast paced and fun.

Cons

Office politics that is centered around who can kiss the most butt and the constant backstabbing of your fellow employees. The people that they have placed in leadership positions are not educated and they seem hostile to the newer hires who actually put in the work to get a degree. Instead of helping they try to belittle you and if you do not know your place you are quickly "not a fit" which is a joke. The company has so much potential but the leadership is ridiculous as far as your immediate supervisors. As far as upper management goes I did not have direct contact with them but the team leads are a joke.

If you truly want to do whats best for "Marten" then quit the ol Boy network mentality. whose butt you kiss is the one that makes you or break your career not the end result of your job. The team leads have experience in the industry but they have an innate ability to try to throw other people under the bus or to cuss them out when in fact it is a direct correlation to the training that you have given your employees. Place has potential but its a joke.

Forced Per Diem is what I didn't like

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good trucks and maintenance department seem to care about drivers more than they used to everyone I talk to seems happy.

Cons

No much home time. Forced Per Diem hurts drivers in the end.

If you would let the per diem program be flexible so not required I would come back to work for you. Per diem just hurts drivers. Not sure if you still have this program.

Not 100% happy

Current Employee - OTR in Mondovi, WI
    Current Employee - OTR in Mondovi, WI

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not sure on pros really.

Cons

Otr driver but run mid east more then otr.

Give otr driver's otr.

PHX-AZ

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

Company is growing. Fast paced environment. The opportunities for growth in the company are endless for those in the "in crowed"

Cons

Zero company culture, unless you consider micromanagement, rampant politics and nepotism culture.

Learn how to manage from a place of support. Treat everyone equally.

Marten Transport Photos