Marten Transport Reviews

Wilsonville dispatchers???

Current Employee - Truck Driver  in  Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like being able to take time off to help my folks out. (they are in the 70's & 80's) I appreciate their equipment, it is top notch. And most of the other drivers are friendly enough.

Cons

I drive western regional. I am dispatched out of the Wilsonville terminal. I have found most of the dispatchers there arrogant and belittling towards me and other drivers. They talk negatively about the drivers and treat you as if they are better than your are. When they do, do their job they act as if you owe them for doing you a favor. When you need to get hold of someone in Wilsonville no one answers the phone. Ask them to call you in a message over the QUALCOMM and they never do. Not one time have anyone of them called me even when I was broke down and trying to find out what to do after calling road service. (who are great) When they ask for a favor they rarely compensate all they promise. The arrogant better than anyone attitude is a real turn off. I am considering a change.

Drug test all Wilsonville dispatchers. You might be surprised.

PHX-AZ

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

Company is growing. Fast paced environment. The opportunities for growth in the company are endless for those in the "in crowed"

Cons

Zero company culture, unless you consider micromanagement, rampant politics and nepotism culture.

Learn how to manage from a place of support. Treat everyone equally.

Could be better

I worked at Marten Transport full-time

Pros

Bonus at end of year. My boss was a good guy, but his bosses where not.

Cons

Pay is not where it should be for technicians and other shop personnel. They have cameras all over their properties to make sure no one is "doing anything bad". If someone is standing for too long (2 minutes), the foreman gets a call and tells him to get the tech to get moving. People getting terminated without any warnings when others get 3 warnings. Open all holidays.

You need to fix this, that is why shop personnel are unhappy with Marten. It starts at the top. I can name one person specifically, but will not.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

New branch, high pressure

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

I was able to start a career with relatively little related experience with a team of great employees and friendly drivers.

Cons

Lots of pressure, disorganization, mismanagement from above and unwarranted big egos. I often felt like I was being scolded by my father, rather than coached and treated like an adult.

The better you treat your employees, the more you'll get from them and the more loyal they'll be.

Dispatchers are nouveau slave owners

Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paid detention but you have to fight for it. Good benefits. Great rigs. Nice loads. Qualcomm works. Mechanics suck. Sorry :-/

Cons

Dispatch-"You have to work this weekend" me-"I can't I am going out of town with my family" d-"you have work to do" m-"I have earned my time off" d- "you will lose your truck" m-"do what you have to do" later found out dispatcher had taken a 4 day weekend.

Train humans not robots.

great experience while i was there

Former Employee - Orientation Routing Clerk  in  Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Orientation Routing Clerk in Ontario, CA

I worked at Marten Transport full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

they have excellent benefits with little to pay out of pocket and good dental plans

Cons

as time goes bye the company has to change policy

they are vary knoweldgeable and know about different departments

Good Overall Experence

Former Employee - OTR Driver  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Marten Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

They actually pay for detention. You usually know how much before you leave the shipper/receiver. Good Equipment. Good miles. Get you home when they said they would IF you give them 2 weeks notice like they ask.

Cons

Sleep machine if you fail their sleep test takes time to get use to (But I hate to admit it, it helped me get better rest). Having to get truck and trailer checked every time you go to a yard (but they are kept up). If you go to CA, you usually have a days wait to get a load out (but I have had that problem with other companies too). No Prepass.

Get the Prepass system. Don't start training for new drivers, keep hiring experienced drivers.
    Raise the mile rates. Use mapquest for paid miles. in this day of computers, address to address is more fair when paying the drivers and charging the customers on your end too.

A very stressful environment. A company more interested in its problems than the solutions.

Current Employee - Fleet Manager  in  Carlisle, PA
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Carlisle, PA

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time for more than a year

Pros

You learn how to take your job too seriously. You learn how to fire employees for nothing.

Cons

Horrible at taking care of their employees.

Take care of your office employees as much as the drivers.

Incompetent Dispatch

Former Employee - OTR Regional Driver  in  Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - OTR Regional Driver in Ontario, CA

I worked at Marten Transport full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good clean Equipment with low miles

Cons

You'r are always late on the delivery and the dispatch is well aware of this, because you are late packing it up "Why"

Get Competent Dispatcher's

Definitely NOT the same company it was when I started.

Current Employee - Company Driver  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Company Driver in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good equipment, like the APU's & inverters that are installed on trucks.

Cons

Company takes a "one size fits all" approach to dealing with drivers. Constant repeated nagging messages over the Qualcomm that get tuned out. Dispatches that don't have all required info such as temperature info & unclear pick up info (pick up numbers).

Tell customer service reps to get complete information (temp. requirements for example) for loads. STOP with the nagging, intelligence-insulting qualcomm messages. PLEASE turn off the 10 hour limit on APU/heat/AC usage (it's very annoying to be woken up in the middle of the night freezing or sweating because the climate control shuts off while we're asleep).

Worked for Marten Transport? Contribute to the Community!