Marten Transport

Randy Marten

Forced Per Diem is what I didn't like

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good trucks and maintenance department seem to care about drivers more than they used to everyone I talk to seems happy.

Cons

No much home time. Forced Per Diem hurts drivers in the end.

If you would let the per diem program be flexible so not required I would come back to work for you. Per diem just hurts drivers. Not sure if you still have this program.

Ridiculously unprofessional

Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Regional Driver

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

The yard is reasonably close to my house. Oh, and once in a blue moon, let's say one week out of four, I actually get a decent paycheck.

Cons

Where do I start?
    1. I am constantly picking up trailers that other drivers have dropped with defects and needed repairs. they are the ones who are supposed to take those trailers to get them fixed. Almost weekly I am the one stuck taking it in to be repaired, wasting my drive time and not able to get good mileage.
    2. When I finally take home time, I almost always have a list of repairs that need to be made on my truck. On several occasions I came back to find that some, if not all, repairs still had to be done. Not only am I not out on the road making any money, I am expected to sleep in the truck at the yard instead of being with my family or being put up in a hotel.
    3. Customer service and or/dispatch scheduling loads to be delivered way after the time it takes me to get to the location, so I am stuck sitting around waiting for anywhere from 12 to 24 hours to make a delivery. Again, not making any money.

Are you starting to see a familiar theme here? It is difficult enough being on the road for weeks at a time, away from family and other responsibilities. To have a poor pay check to show for it?

Get qualified people in your repair shops, in dispatching and customer service positions so your drivers are properly taken care of and are able to do their jobs efficiently. Have better after hour services. Your drivers getting products to your customers in a timely and safe manner is your bread and butter.

Ugh oh....so bad they're like england,srt,Stevens transport etc

Former Employee - Western Region Driver in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Western Region Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Marten Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing had 5 trucks in 2months

Cons

Pay sliding scale on per diem
    Bad upper management always blaming you even if it not your fault
    Decent drivers here some good more bad

This company needs to tell the truth and not lie every company out there lie like the us military recruiting stop lieing fire all upper management and recruiting, also d.m and hire good former drivers help make company better these college kids don't know crap about trucking

Company Driver

I have been working at Marten Transport

Pros

Good pay... have to keep an eye on the company

Cons

They will sign yoi up for a 401K without your knowledge and you cant get your money back... This they will do aftter your 90 days are u, also have to work there for 6 months or pay for orientation. ...

Tell the truth

Have no idea how to train

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As a fleet manager you work with some great drivers and some that are not so good. The job itself is fast paced and fun.

Cons

Office politics that is centered around who can kiss the most butt and the constant backstabbing of your fellow employees. The people that they have placed in leadership positions are not educated and they seem hostile to the newer hires who actually put in the work to get a degree. Instead of helping they try to belittle you and if you do not know your place you are quickly "not a fit" which is a joke. The company has so much potential but the leadership is ridiculous as far as your immediate supervisors. As far as upper management goes I did not have direct contact with them but the team leads are a joke.

If you truly want to do whats best for "Marten" then quit the ol Boy network mentality. whose butt you kiss is the one that makes you or break your career not the end result of your job. The team leads have experience in the industry but they have an innate ability to try to throw other people under the bus or to cuss them out when in fact it is a direct correlation to the training that you have given your employees. Place has potential but its a joke.

Not 100% happy

Current Employee - OTR in Mondovi, WI
    Current Employee - OTR in Mondovi, WI

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Not sure on pros really.

Cons

Otr driver but run mid east more then otr.

Give otr driver's otr.

PHX-AZ

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

Company is growing. Fast paced environment. The opportunities for growth in the company are endless for those in the "in crowed"

Cons

Zero company culture, unless you consider micromanagement, rampant politics and nepotism culture.

Learn how to manage from a place of support. Treat everyone equally.

Could be better

I worked at Marten Transport full-time

Pros

Bonus at end of year. My boss was a good guy, but his bosses where not.

Cons

Pay is not where it should be for technicians and other shop personnel. They have cameras all over their properties to make sure no one is "doing anything bad". If someone is standing for too long (2 minutes), the foreman gets a call and tells him to get the tech to get moving. People getting terminated without any warnings when others get 3 warnings. Open all holidays.

You need to fix this, that is why shop personnel are unhappy with Marten. It starts at the top. I can name one person specifically, but will not.

Wilsonville dispatchers???

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilsonville, OR
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Wilsonville, OR

I have been working at Marten Transport full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I like being able to take time off to help my folks out. (they are in the 70's & 80's) I appreciate their equipment, it is top notch. And most of the other drivers are friendly enough.

Cons

I drive western regional. I am dispatched out of the Wilsonville terminal. I have found most of the dispatchers there arrogant and belittling towards me and other drivers. They talk negatively about the drivers and treat you as if they are better than your are. When they do, do their job they act as if you owe them for doing you a favor. When you need to get hold of someone in Wilsonville no one answers the phone. Ask them to call you in a message over the QUALCOMM and they never do. Not one time have anyone of them called me even when I was broke down and trying to find out what to do after calling road service. (who are great) When they ask for a favor they rarely compensate all they promise. The arrogant better than anyone attitude is a real turn off. I am considering a change.

Drug test all Wilsonville dispatchers. You might be surprised.

New branch, high pressure

I worked at Marten Transport

Pros

I was able to start a career with relatively little related experience with a team of great employees and friendly drivers.

Cons

Lots of pressure, disorganization, mismanagement from above and unwarranted big egos. I often felt like I was being scolded by my father, rather than coached and treated like an adult.

The better you treat your employees, the more you'll get from them and the more loyal they'll be.

Marten Transport Photos