Martha Stewart Living

Martha Stewart Living Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2014

Martha Stewart Living Chief Creative Officer and Founder Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart

Pros:
  • "Strong brand, diversified company, chance to learn across divisions"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Name recognition, beautiful work environment, creative employees"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management makes mountains out of molehills to justify over-hiring"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Long hours, unrealistic expectations, limited administrative/ design support to get the job done to meet those expectations"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Unforgettable experience

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Martha Stewart Living as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorking with such creative colleagues and dealing with subjects I love every day. Fun coworkers who have many outside interests. The creative spirit is infectious.

ConsHigh turnover rate of employees, $20 per day stipend for full-time interns, employees are under intense pressure

Advice to Senior ManagementPay interns more than a $20 per day stipend.

Earned a visual MBA under high pressure situations.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Martha Stewart Living full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWorked with brilliant creative people dedicated to their craft. Very inspired by co-workers work and passions. From a visual perspective, you can't find a better place to work and to create beautiful images everyday.

ConsMismanaged, unprofessional manager. Poor communication by management. Low salaries and you work your tail off. HR Department is not helpful, nor do they understand your job responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your employees financially and physically, give them an incentive to stay.

Marketing Review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Martha Stewart Living full-time

Pros-Intelligent Staff and co-workers. Great Brand content. Great brand to be a part, inspiring stories and ideas. Great platform to launch any career. Multi media experience.

Cons- Poor management. Horrible location. Excessive turnover. Bad morale among workforce. In some areas there is much creativity, in some areas it can be stifling.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore team bonding exercises. More room for promotion within. Inter department education.

Like working in an imaginary world: better love the color cerulean

LAMP Systems Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Martha Stewart Living full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat perks to employees: free publications, foods, gifts from vendors, eggs from Martha's Farm in Bedford
Awesome building to work in. Office is spectacular!

Constoo many managers, super far from public transportation

Advice to Senior ManagementHire skilled workers, not friends who need a job. Lots of talent in NYC. Do the legwork and find the skilled workers, not the "who they know" workers.

Great learning experience

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat brand to wok for

ConsLittle room to grow with in the company

Amazing and helpful staff, they made sure everything was taken care of in order for my employment

Design Department Intern (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living as an intern for less than a year

ProsAfter my interview for the company I was unsure I would be able to afford living in New York for the period of time I would be working. I have a dog and am a college student not from the area, so I would need to relocate. After expressing my concern, they found me affordable housing, in a safe area, that would allow my dog. They also found areas for puppy day care in the city, took care of my dog's food for the time of employment, and gave me a list of taxis that allowed pets. Every concern and question that I had was answered within hours, and communication was always friendly. I felt like they really wanted me to be a part of the company and the individual attention from the staff was fabulous.

ConsHonestly, I have nothing poor to say. I had such a positive experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, everyone will want to work for you!

Great experience, great and creative teams, beautiful environment, unrealistic expectations

Design Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Martha Stewart Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCreative people at all levels, great to have on your resume, inspiring environment, great parties and events with delicious food and wine.

ConsLong hours, unrealistic expectations, limited administrative/ design support to get the job done to meet those expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do their jobs themselves- you may actually like what you see if you stay out of the way. (and I'm not talking about Martha here- loved her input, always!)

I just recently started working as a PA for the video department

Production Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living full-time

ProsSmall Group of people; makes it a cozier environment
Teamwork is heavily involved
Traveling to shoots and actually working with Martha is a plus

ConsSometimes job duties can get a little hectic, but nothing you can't handle if you know the role of your job

Advice to Senior ManagementI want a MAC

Fantastic place to work!!

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living full-time

ProsHighly talented creative staff in all area of MSO business
Great office space - clean, wonderful views, nice open feeling, great outdoor roofdeck, shuttle service provided for staff, daily food vendors
Great Executive team
Great support staff in IT, Human Resources, and Office Services

ConsLocation near Chelsea Piers is not as conveinient as working in midtown, but offers a lovely park on the water to walk in during lunch, and the High Line is only 1 block away.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make smart strategic decisions to grow the business and increase profit.

Excellent internship Experience

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Martha Stewart Living as an intern for less than a year

ProsSupervisor was kind enough to assign an intern an actual project to work on during 10 wk period.
Team presentation with other interns was a great opportunity.

ConsPerhaps more networking events would be beneficial.

Worked for Martha Stewart Living? Contribute to the Community!

Martha Stewart Living Videos

Martha Stewart Living – Why Work for Us?

Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. (NYSE: MSO) is a diversified media and merchandising company, inspiring and engaging consumers with unique lifestyle content and distinctive products. The Company reaches… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Martha Stewart Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Martha Stewart Living CEO Martha Stewart. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by Martha Stewart Living employees.