Martha Stewart Living

Updated June 10, 2014

2.7

Martha Stewart Living Chief Creative Officer and Founder Martha Stewart
Martha Stewart

Pros
  • Worked with brilliant creative people dedicated to their craft (in 4 reviews)

• The people working at MSLO are great (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The amount of layoffs were excessive and I noted a bit of internal strife among upper management (in 8 reviews)

• Everything, no one cares about your career growth (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay experience

Pros

Nice Coworkers, worked on a range of projects

Cons

Everyone ate at their desks, turnover was super high

Miss it

Pros

Great passion in the team

Cons

Laid off which totally ruined my future

Keep hiring the ones who love Mslo for what it is.

Worthwhile experience, joyless community

Pros

Great experience, opportunities for learning and growth. Very talented group of folks who go on to do cool things, and for that reason alone it's good to meet and know them.

Cons

Its reputation precedes it. Its leader is a ruthless perfectionist and its employees are powered by fear. No one wants to mess up or be called out, and given its not-great micro economic climate, the pressure's on. My advice? Get in and get out.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You'll probably get laid off

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Listen, this isn't just sour grapes. MSLO has a ton of incredibly smart, incredibly creative people working there. For the most part, there are pretty good resources for people to work with, and they turn out some truly great work.

Cons

Where to start? Morale is so, so low. I've never seen such a bunch of miserable, depressed people in the same place. Part of this comes from the management style, basically a bunch of entitled managers with an overblown sense of importance who treat anyone below them (especially assistants) just horribly. Seriously, it's just this short of abusive.

The digital team does NOT seem to have it together at all. They restructure (and lay EVERYONE off) about every 9 months. Don't get me wrong: The current iteration of the site is truly great (see: incredibly smart people). But there isn't enough consistency among staff and management to sustain any growth.

Finally, turnover is EPIC. Yes, people leave because it's a miserable place to be, but it's mostly because when they decide to restructure, they pretty much lay everyone off and start over. They don't believe in retaining any institutional knowledge. It's a constant case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Is there anything that can actually be done? I doubt it. The culture is founded on the lack of respect and expendability of the people who toil to create the products, and that comes from the top. Bottom line: it's great on your resume, but you'll be miserable. And it ain't ever gonna change.

Upbeat and Busy Place to Work

Former Employee - Editorial Intern  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in New York, NY

Pros

There was always work to be done and everyone was always willing to spend time to work with me to help me understand things. I worked with the books department and they went above and beyond to welcome me and help me feel like a part of the team.

Cons

Getting to the office was a little tricky as the closest subway was about 4 avenues away.

Held an Internship at Martha Stewart Whole Living Magazine

Pros

Friendly Environment, Free Coffee, Great Cafeteria, Free Products Every Week.

Cons

The woman I worked directly under was terminated two weeks into my internship. She was replaced within a couple days, yet I did not work under her replacement. Instead, I worked under multiple people in the department. Though everyone was friendly, it only seemed a couple of the employees actually spoke to each other about anything other than work. It seemed that the department next to ours was the only one actually enjoying themselves. I found out that a fellow student from my university interned for them a year later and ran into the same problems. It seems that the job stability there is very low.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Very creative people. The "doers" are generally great people with a desire to do good work. Some are excellent, most are average. Personalities are large and I met some fantastic people while there.

Cons

Process mandates over complication of even the most simple tasks by management team that lacks vision. Absolutely no coherent digital strategy. Arbitrary decisions will be passed off as strategy by management that won't hold themselves to the same standards as their direct reports. Goals will change constantly. Agree wholeheartedly with other review that says a small team with a vision could fix this place in 6 months.

Despite some bright spots in management, it's impossible to move as quickly as you need with the process you have in place. You know what you need to do. Listen to your contributors and get out of the way instead of micro-managing.

Awful

Pros

Nothing but trouble and stress

Cons

Everything, no one cares about your career growth

Learn how to do your jobs

All in all, my personal experience was okay

Former Employee - Senior Art Production Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Art Production Associate in New York, NY

Pros

people, creativity, market, the brand

Cons

location, some of the business practices

Wonderful opportunity for creativity

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

The team here is uber talented, which is a great thing to work with if you are ok with very exacting standards. The company offers the flexibility to be incredibly creative depending on what project you're working on at the moment.

Cons

The level of perfection may turn some people off, but then again it's what has made the company who they are today.

Worked for Martha Stewart Living? Contribute to the Community!