Martha Stewart Living

Martha Stewart Living Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2014

Martha Stewart Living Chief Creative Officer and Founder Martha Stewart

Martha Stewart

Pros:
  • "Worked with brilliant creative people dedicated to their craft"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Strong brand, diversified company, chance to learn across divisions"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "The amount of layoffs were excessive and I noted a bit of internal strife among upper management"
    in 8 reviews
  • "long hours, work on the weekend"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

All in all, my personal experience was okay

Senior Art Production Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Martha Stewart Living full-time for more than 5 years

Prospeople, creativity, market, the brand

Conslocation, some of the business practices

Held an Internship at Martha Stewart Whole Living Magazine

I worked at Martha Stewart Living

ProsFriendly Environment, Free Coffee, Great Cafeteria, Free Products Every Week.

ConsThe woman I worked directly under was terminated two weeks into my internship. She was replaced within a couple days, yet I did not work under her replacement. Instead, I worked under multiple people in the department. Though everyone was friendly, it only seemed a couple of the employees actually spoke to each other about anything other than work. It seemed that the department next to ours was the only one actually enjoying themselves. I found out that a fellow student from my university interned for them a year later and ran into the same problems. It seems that the job stability there is very low.

Stay Away

I worked at Martha Stewart Living full-time for more than a year

ProsVery creative people. The "doers" are generally great people with a desire to do good work. Some are excellent, most are average. Personalities are large and I met some fantastic people while there.

ConsProcess mandates over complication of even the most simple tasks by management team that lacks vision. Absolutely no coherent digital strategy. Arbitrary decisions will be passed off as strategy by management that won't hold themselves to the same standards as their direct reports. Goals will change constantly. Agree wholeheartedly with other review that says a small team with a vision could fix this place in 6 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite some bright spots in management, it's impossible to move as quickly as you need with the process you have in place. You know what you need to do. Listen to your contributors and get out of the way instead of micro-managing.

Awful

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living

ProsNothing but trouble and stress

ConsEverything, no one cares about your career growth

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to do your jobs

Wonderfully talented employees, horrible management and compensation.

I worked at Martha Stewart Living full-time for more than 3 years

Prosextremely talented co-workers, exposure to multiple media outlets

ConsManagement doesn't care about employees' well being
Non-Management employees are expected to do the job of three, at a compensation level bellow industry average
Long hours, no employee perks
No feedback, positive or negative during a projects timeline. You only find out if there are problems after you have completed it, often times having to start from scratch at that point. If you were given feedback earlier in the process it would be more efficient for the entire company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn management skills and don't make important decisions based on favoritism.

Wonderful opportunity for creativity

I worked at Martha Stewart Living as a contractor for more than 10 years

ProsThe team here is uber talented, which is a great thing to work with if you are ok with very exacting standards. The company offers the flexibility to be incredibly creative depending on what project you're working on at the moment.

ConsThe level of perfection may turn some people off, but then again it's what has made the company who they are today.

working at martha

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people working at MSLO are great. creative, smart, hard working and fun.

Consupper management lives in a bubble. they don't treat employees with respect.

Advice to Senior Managementwake up

Looks great on the resume but...

Editorial Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Martha Stewart Living as a contractor for less than a year

ProsEmployer was sensitive to the fact that I was in grad school and gave me time off without me having to ask when she could see I needed it.

ConsAs opposed to other print news outlets I've worked for were people are friendly and engage in frequent lively discussions, the environment at MSL was very weird/quiet. People didn't speak to those they sit next to everyday unless there was a meeting or they were working on something together.

No. Just plain no. Don't waste your time.

Digital (Current Employee)

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living full-time

ProsClean offices
Free coffee
Brand reco
Martha is pretty inspiring (the people under her, not so much)

ConsHigh turnover
Upper management makes mountains out of molehills to justify over-hiring. Which really doesn't make sense, since they lay off 1/4 of the team every Christmas holiday.
Company is unrealistic re workforce and over aggressive goals
Most svps have "amnesia" so it's difficult moving along with projects
Certain departments refuse to work as a team with the rest of the company
HR will prob request this review be taken down (heard they're known for ensuring future employees are blind to the conditions here)

Advice to Senior ManagementSee above.
Stop working in a bubble, away from the laymen. Get in the trenches with us and try to understand your industry. Also stop fighting with your employees just so you can have your way (which is never based on numbers, only "feelings")

Awful location, awful building, declining empire, where will you be in a year, Martha?

I have been working at Martha Stewart Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the people who work here are very passionate about the brand. Some of the people are very nice and then there's a group who are constantly pointing fingers and don't even understand the business.

ConsThe location is horrendous. From any subway in the city, it's a 20 minute walk plus your regular commute. The shuttle service offered is a joke. Most of the time, it's not working or there's one bus every 40 minutes. The building itself MUST be in violation of some law -- there's frequently either no water, no heat, and the elevator service is awaiting a disaster -- there's only 8 elevators that service this super sized bldg and there's often a line waiting for elevators and everyone packs in like sardines. Add another 10 minutes to get in and out of the elevators to your commute. The company is going nowhere but south. The papers are all over the fact that this company has never made money except one year. $s continue to decline. Maybe Dienst is here to get ready for a sale? There's no job security. The only guarantee is that you will be cold in the winters and there will be an anticipated layoff every year. The corporate policies inhibit any creative person (sales or otherwise) from doing any real entertaining without worrying about violating some policy.

Worked for Martha Stewart Living? Contribute to the Community!

Martha Stewart Living Videos

Martha Stewart Living – Why Work for Us?

Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, Inc. (NYSE: MSO) is a diversified media and merchandising company, inspiring and engaging consumers with unique lifestyle content and distinctive products. The Company reaches… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Martha Stewart Living reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Martha Stewart Living CEO Martha Stewart. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by Martha Stewart Living employees.