Martin-Brower
www.martin-brower.com Rosemont, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Martin-Brower Reviews

Updated Jun 24, 2014
Martin-Brower – Canada – “Dry area vaccuum lift”

Gregory A. Nickele

Huge Company, steady work, Buying up everything.

Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Conroe, TX

ProsWork - life balance, there are great people that work there.

ConsPay, no advancement, management doesn't have your back. They will believe some one on the floor before someone on the leadership team.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved with the operation.

Stable place to work at.

Mason City, IA

ProsVery stable company and customer, highly resistant to economic trends, both up and down, good pay for the area, plenty of opportunity to take time off.

ConsLimited promotion opportunities, no chances for performance based raises and bonuses, odd working hours and days.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time finding out what the employees want with regards to working conditions and hours.

Good Solid Company...Works you like a horse

Harriman, NY

ProsLots of opportunities for advancement, great benefits

ConsNot a lot of career support, you don't have a life (work IS your life 24/7 with a blackberry on your hip even while on vacation), all top management promotions are from within, meaning the same type of management style (whether good or bad) throughout the organization. Need some fresh blood/fresh ideas every now and then. Managers can get a bit tyrannical at times, however, the tyranny is communicated in 'good taste' so it doesn't come across as tyranny. Every year the bonus structure gets more unrealistic.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to clean out house in some areas

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Misleading

Warehouse Person (Former Employee)
    Fairfield, OH

ProsThe opportunity to make a lot of money with experience or not.

ConsI worked for this company for a few months. When hired in, I was hired in with 34 other people, 70 were brought in all for that week. The HR informed us that of the 70, only 10 would be left at the end of the week due to the extremely high turnover rate. As mentioned in other reviews, there are a whole lot of people crammed into a very little space on heavy equipment. This has to be a violation of some sort. There were a lot of on-site accidents in the few months I was there. When hired in I was told the average shift would be 9 hours and then after a month or two they said that overtime was mandatory and some days would be 14 hour shifts. Of the 35 I was hired in with, after around a week I was picking at the speed of the people who had been there for 3 months. I did not receive any recognition(I was picking around 4 times as fast my quota). There were 2 supervisors for around 60 employees. Quite often problems would be unresolved or overlooked due to the all out lack of management. They had brought in managers from several different states to try to straighten things out and I watched them come and go, pretty much throwing in the towel on the facility and returning to their home state. Also all the training is provided by Martin Brower workers that are brought in from other states to train you. Every facility is set up different, therefore you can be trained the wrong way. They have auditors that check orders before they go out. Obviously, it takes longer to build an order than to audit it. On several occasions I watched auditors hide and sleep on the job. There is such a lack of management that this was never even noticed. There was a lot of favoritism and it was definitely not by work ethic or production, simply whether you kissed butt or tried to converse with management. Oh yeah, and when I was there, they did a show of hands of how many people had been there more than 6 months, and out of 60, there was 1 person who had been there 6 months or longer. This is not an employee problem, but an employer problem. I let one of the managers know I was no longer going to be working with the company, 6 days later I got a call from HR saying I was terminated for not showing up for 5 days. I then contacted her and let her know the situation. She said nothing was mentioned to her. Therefore on my job history, it looks as if I were fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a better support system in your warehouses as far as management goes. 1 manager cannot support 30 people at a time in a fast paced warehouse environment. Also, your new hires that do much better than others, should be recognized for that instead of treating them the same as the employees who do not come close to their quota for the day. Stop bringing in trainers from multiple facility where different procedures are intact. All this will do is set some one up for failure.

Great Company to Work For

Operations (Current Employee)

ProsAdvancement, Benefits, Environment, Friends, Safety

ConsLong Days, Middle person in delivery of product

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop People from within

Martin Brower Driver

Driver (Current Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsBest Delivery job ever everything is on carts. Pull carts off at store and store workers push cart in store.Best thing about pay after 8 hours everyday is time and a half. Thats unheard of.

ConsYou cant run your 70 hour dot rule. You can only run 60 hours then take a reset.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrivers want to run the 70 hour dot rule. Drivers dont wana stay away from route pay and component pay.

Job expectations against working conditions are next to impossible and management ignores that fact

Warehouse Person (Former Employee)
    Manassas, VA

ProsThe top pay is pretty good for the job described. Because of the Union, health benefits are good and amount of vacation days are generous. Once you have worked there for 10 years or more, you get a better job assignment (driving a forklift vs manually picking orders and loading trucks). 401K and benefits are pretty good (again, because of the Union).

ConsWorst part about the job is having to work with negative attitudes all day long. Too many people crowded into one area trying to do a job creates an extremely stressful work environment. It was every man for himself, with teamwork totally out of the picture. You had to be there 5 or 10 years to even hope to get a weekend day off or to get on day shift. There was no acknowledgment by management of the obstacles that got in your way of doing your job and nothing was done to offset the down time incurred because of it. You practically always waited on trailers to arrive to be able to load them. A complete lack of effort on management's part to make it a positive work environment led to a low morale in the warehouse. It was all about how many cases they could get picked and loaded in the shortest amount of time. And if you have time...be careful too. Working at my current job, since leaving there, allows me to see just how bad things were. When everyday people talk about wanting to leave and how much longer they have there, it makes you think they are describing a prison sentence instead of their job longevity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your employees, if they are happy working there, things will turn out SO much better. Listen to the employees, value their opinions, they are the ones that see what goes on and have first hand knowledge and experience. Have periodic one on one sessions with employees to discuss what they feel is going good about the job and what needs improvement in their opinion. Then, take from those meetings, their ideas and form an action plan to make those things better.

Good

Driver (Current Employee)
    Pompano Beach, FL

ProsThe Benifits are good and the pay as well.

ConsThe hours are crazy if your a new driver. You will have very little time with your family.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave meetings were drivers can voice there opinions about company matters that they may or may not agree with.When it comes time to get new trucks you might want to ask the drivers how they feel about certain equipment since were the ones that have to drive them into some of the tightest places without hitting anything.

WORST JOB EVER!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Dickson, TN

Prosyou get to talk to stupid people all day long which should keep you laughing thru the boring "meetings". you get free coffee ketchup and out of date crap from mc donalds that is clearly going bad. and thats about it really if you call those "pros".

Consthese people dont know how to run a company at all. they favor the ass kissers that dont do anything at work and could care less about the hard working employees, most of the time giving the ass kissers all the credit for the hard work.

Advice to Senior Managementget off your lazy butts and work!!! open your eyes and fire the stupid people at this company! there should only be so many breaks one can take. Worst management ever!!

It paid the bills, but took my soul.

Orlando, FL

ProsPays the bills. Decent benefits package and pay. Company did great in time of recession, and management would work with me when I needed to tinker with my schedule.

ConsNot very good leadership. Unprofessional at times, and I often felt unappreciated for the work that I did while employed there.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say they need to treat the employees as their biggest asset. Too often, what the employees had to say, did not matter to them.

Worked for Martin-Brower? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Martin-Brower reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Martin-Brower CEO Gregory A. Nickele. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Martin-Brower employees.