Martin-Brower

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hard to start

Former Employee - Driver in Fairfield, OH
    Former Employee - Driver in Fairfield, OH

I worked at Martin-Brower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay, good off time,

Cons

No family life, poor benefits, never see upper management, middle management acts like its a burden to talk to you. Other employees will turn you in for anything to advance.

listen to your employees, stop with the intimidation method of management.

Very Misleading

Former Employee - Warehouse Person in Fairfield, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Person in Fairfield, OH

I worked at Martin-Brower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to make a lot of money with experience or not.

Cons

I worked for this company for a few months. When hired in, I was hired in with 34 other people, 70 were brought in all for that week. The HR informed us that of the 70, only 10 would be left at the end of the week due to the extremely high turnover rate. As mentioned in other reviews, there are a whole lot of people crammed into a very little space on heavy equipment. This has to be a violation of some sort. There were a lot of on-site accidents in the few months I was there. When hired in I was told the average shift would be 9 hours and then after a month or two they said that overtime was mandatory and some days would be 14 hour shifts. Of the 35 I was hired in with, after around a week I was picking at the speed of the people who had been there for 3 months. I did not receive any recognition(I was picking around 4 times as fast my quota). There were 2 supervisors for around 60 employees. Quite often problems would be unresolved or overlooked due to the all out lack of management. They had brought in managers from several different states to try to straighten things out and I watched them come and go, pretty much throwing in the towel on the facility and returning to their home state. Also all the training is provided by Martin Brower workers that are brought in from other states to train you. Every facility is set up different, therefore you can be trained the wrong way. They have auditors that check orders before they go out. Obviously, it takes longer to build an order than to audit it. On several occasions I watched auditors hide and sleep on the job. There is such a lack of management that this was never even noticed. There was a lot of favoritism and it was definitely not by work ethic or production, simply whether you kissed butt or tried to converse with management. Oh yeah, and when I was there, they did a show of hands of how many people had been there more than 6 months, and out of 60, there was 1 person who had been there 6 months or longer. This is not an employee problem, but an employer problem. I let one of the managers know I was no longer going to be working with the company, 6 days later I got a call from HR saying I was terminated for not showing up for 5 days. I then contacted her and let her know the situation. She said nothing was mentioned to her. Therefore on my job history, it looks as if I were fired.

Provide a better support system in your warehouses as far as management goes. 1 manager cannot support 30 people at a time in a fast paced warehouse environment. Also, your new hires that do much better than others, should be recognized for that instead of treating them the same as the employees who do not come close to their quota for the day. Stop bringing in trainers from multiple facility where different procedures are intact. All this will do is set some one up for failure.

Martin-Brower Photos