Martin-Brower

Updated August 15, 2014
Updated August 15, 2014

2.8

Gregory A. Nickele

Huge Company, steady work, Buying up everything.

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor  in  Conroe, TX
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Conroe, TX

Pros

Work - life balance, there are great people that work there.

Cons

Pay, no advancement, management doesn't have your back. They will believe some one on the floor before someone on the leadership team.

Be more involved with the operation.

Stable place to work at.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mason City, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mason City, IA

Pros

Very stable company and customer, highly resistant to economic trends, both up and down, good pay for the area, plenty of opportunity to take time off.

Cons

Limited promotion opportunities, no chances for performance based raises and bonuses, odd working hours and days.

Spend more time finding out what the employees want with regards to working conditions and hours.

Good Solid Company...Works you like a horse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Harriman, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Harriman, NY

Pros

Lots of opportunities for advancement, great benefits

Cons

Not a lot of career support, you don't have a life (work IS your life 24/7 with a blackberry on your hip even while on vacation), all top management promotions are from within, meaning the same type of management style (whether good or bad) throughout the organization. Need some fresh blood/fresh ideas every now and then. Managers can get a bit tyrannical at times, however, the tyranny is communicated in 'good taste' so it doesn't come across as tyranny. Every year the bonus structure gets more unrealistic.

Need to clean out house in some areas

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Misleading

Former Employee - Warehouse Person  in  Fairfield, OH
    Former Employee - Warehouse Person in Fairfield, OH

Pros

The opportunity to make a lot of money with experience or not.

Cons

I worked for this company for a few months. When hired in, I was hired in with 34 other people, 70 were brought in all for that week. The HR informed us that of the 70, only 10 would be left at the end of the week due to the extremely high turnover rate. As mentioned in other reviews, there are a whole lot of people crammed into a very little space on heavy equipment. This has to be a violation of some sort. There were a lot of on-site accidents in the few months I was there. When hired in I was told the average shift would be 9 hours and then after a month or two they said that overtime was mandatory and some days would be 14 hour shifts. Of the 35 I was hired in with, after around a week I was picking at the speed of the people who had been there for 3 months. I did not receive any recognition(I was picking around 4 times as fast my quota). There were 2 supervisors for around 60 employees. Quite often problems would be unresolved or overlooked due to the all out lack of management. They had brought in managers from several different states to try to straighten things out and I watched them come and go, pretty much throwing in the towel on the facility and returning to their home state. Also all the training is provided by Martin Brower workers that are brought in from other states to train you. Every facility is set up different, therefore you can be trained the wrong way. They have auditors that check orders before they go out. Obviously, it takes longer to build an order than to audit it. On several occasions I watched auditors hide and sleep on the job. There is such a lack of management that this was never even noticed. There was a lot of favoritism and it was definitely not by work ethic or production, simply whether you kissed butt or tried to converse with management. Oh yeah, and when I was there, they did a show of hands of how many people had been there more than 6 months, and out of 60, there was 1 person who had been there 6 months or longer. This is not an employee problem, but an employer problem. I let one of the managers know I was no longer going to be working with the company, 6 days later I got a call from HR saying I was terminated for not showing up for 5 days. I then contacted her and let her know the situation. She said nothing was mentioned to her. Therefore on my job history, it looks as if I were fired.

Provide a better support system in your warehouses as far as management goes. 1 manager cannot support 30 people at a time in a fast paced warehouse environment. Also, your new hires that do much better than others, should be recognized for that instead of treating them the same as the employees who do not come close to their quota for the day. Stop bringing in trainers from multiple facility where different procedures are intact. All this will do is set some one up for failure.

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Operations
    Current Employee - Operations

Pros

Advancement, Benefits, Environment, Friends, Safety

Cons

Long Days, Middle person in delivery of product

Develop People from within

Martin Brower Driver

Current Employee - Driver  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Driver in Dallas, TX

Pros

Best Delivery job ever everything is on carts. Pull carts off at store and store workers push cart in store.Best thing about pay after 8 hours everyday is time and a half. Thats unheard of.

Cons

You cant run your 70 hour dot rule. You can only run 60 hours then take a reset.

Drivers want to run the 70 hour dot rule. Drivers dont wana stay away from route pay and component pay.

Job expectations against working conditions are next to impossible and management ignores that fact

Former Employee - Warehouse Person  in  Manassas, VA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Person in Manassas, VA

Pros

The top pay is pretty good for the job described. Because of the Union, health benefits are good and amount of vacation days are generous. Once you have worked there for 10 years or more, you get a better job assignment (driving a forklift vs manually picking orders and loading trucks). 401K and benefits are pretty good (again, because of the Union).

Cons

Worst part about the job is having to work with negative attitudes all day long. Too many people crowded into one area trying to do a job creates an extremely stressful work environment. It was every man for himself, with teamwork totally out of the picture. You had to be there 5 or 10 years to even hope to get a weekend day off or to get on day shift. There was no acknowledgment by management of the obstacles that got in your way of doing your job and nothing was done to offset the down time incurred because of it. You practically always waited on trailers to arrive to be able to load them. A complete lack of effort on management's part to make it a positive work environment led to a low morale in the warehouse. It was all about how many cases they could get picked and loaded in the shortest amount of time. And if you have time...be careful too. Working at my current job, since leaving there, allows me to see just how bad things were. When everyday people talk about wanting to leave and how much longer they have there, it makes you think they are describing a prison sentence instead of their job longevity.

Focus on your employees, if they are happy working there, things will turn out SO much better. Listen to the employees, value their opinions, they are the ones that see what goes on and have first hand knowledge and experience. Have periodic one on one sessions with employees to discuss what they feel is going good about the job and what needs improvement in their opinion. Then, take from those meetings, their ideas and form an action plan to make those things better.

Good

Current Employee - Driver  in  Pompano Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Driver in Pompano Beach, FL

Pros

The Benifits are good and the pay as well.

Cons

The hours are crazy if your a new driver. You will have very little time with your family.

Have meetings were drivers can voice there opinions about company matters that they may or may not agree with.When it comes time to get new trucks you might want to ask the drivers how they feel about certain equipment since were the ones that have to drive them into some of the tightest places without hitting anything.

WORST JOB EVER!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Dickson, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dickson, TN

Pros

you get to talk to stupid people all day long which should keep you laughing thru the boring "meetings". you get free coffee ketchup and out of date crap from mc donalds that is clearly going bad. and thats about it really if you call those "pros".

Cons

these people dont know how to run a company at all. they favor the ass kissers that dont do anything at work and could care less about the hard working employees, most of the time giving the ass kissers all the credit for the hard work.

get off your lazy butts and work!!! open your eyes and fire the stupid people at this company! there should only be so many breaks one can take. Worst management ever!!

It paid the bills, but took my soul.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Pays the bills. Decent benefits package and pay. Company did great in time of recession, and management would work with me when I needed to tinker with my schedule.

Cons

Not very good leadership. Unprofessional at times, and I often felt unappreciated for the work that I did while employed there.

I would say they need to treat the employees as their biggest asset. Too often, what the employees had to say, did not matter to them.

Worked for Martin-Brower? Contribute to the Community!