Martin Marietta Materials Reviews

Martin Marietta Materials CEO C. Howard Nye
C. Howard Nye

1. Operator

I have been working at Martin Marietta Materials

Pros

Money is good and coworkers are good

Cons

extreme amount of hours required.70-80 per week

hire more people so guys don't have to work so long

2. Tax Department - RUN

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Martin Marietta Materials full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have great pay and benefits.

Cons

Horrible work/life balance. Management is dysfunctional. The cannot keep a Sales/Use Tax Manager. Reason, upper management. They give you vacation, but you're not allowed to use it.

Take a look at your Tax Management - there is a reason why you can't keep good people.

3. Giving A 3 stars because i went thru the whole process of filling out a 30 min or more application and it didnt process

Former Employee - Laborer in Woodville, Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Laborer in Woodville, Charleston, SC

I worked at Martin Marietta Materials full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Havent had the oppurtunity to write what i wanted because when i go to hit send it fails...not a happy customer

Cons

Not too happy with giving all my personal info and just for the application not to process if there is a way i knew it processed i would definately give a 5 star rating...

Please fix this app!

5. Summer Internship Review

I worked at Martin Marietta Materials

Pros

Allows you gain hands on experience in fields ranging from maintenance to running the processing facility

Cons

There were not any cons to my internship experience

6. Great company with amazing benefits

Current Employee - Foreman in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Foreman in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Martin Marietta Materials

Pros

growing very fast, great pay, great benefits and employee focused

Cons

there is no work life balance

7. This company is circling the drain

Former Employee - Plant Operator in Du Bois, NE
    Former Employee - Plant Operator in Du Bois, NE

I worked at Martin Marietta Materials full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was decent for an equipment operator
    Plenty of available overtime
    If you can get hired as a manager, human resources, or any office job, you'll have it made. They all typically leave early and yet have higher salaries. When tools get replaced, they get to take the old ones home!

Cons

The company is focused on the appearance of safety, but if you aren't a manager your concerns were never addressed. If an accident happened as a result, a root cause analysis was done and the operator or one of the other grunts is held responsible. Human Resources is a joke, NOBODY is looking out for the laborers or operators interests, they solely represent the managers, because of the hierarchy system within the company. I had to work 58hr/week almost every week and I considered myself grateful, some guys from Weeping Water mine claimed 70+ was common.

The whole time I'd worked there I had NEVER seen a manager held accountable for ANYTHING. The company consistently promotes the WORST possible people for any management position. Promotions are done on a buddy system, jobs are never posted internally, and the guy that sucks up to the boss the most is the one who receives the promotion.

I quit a year after never receiving a raise for what I thought was a promotion, I was promised a raise when taking the plant operator/maintenance position. I never received the raise, the pay scale increase went to a new hire that happened to be the manager's friend.

I've created good friendships while working for Martin Marietta, I'd recently talked with some of my friends who say the job has gotten even worse since I've left. Three have and one currently is retiring early as a result, the rest are currently searching for different jobs.

YOU are the problem, look at yourself in the mirror, look at the managers you promoted working under you, and think about the people that have been fired, hurt, or killed while trying to follow your flawed leadership. Think of one of your children or family members being put in that position, ask yourself if you are where you are today because you're good at what you do, or because you sucked up to your boss.

Recognize and promote the people that have an understanding of how the operation works, and truly care and take pride in their work, mine didn't....

8. Horrible 3 years of my life

I have been working at Martin Marietta Materials

Pros

There are no reason to work here

Cons

You have no family life you work 60 to 80 hours every week and dont plan on weekend life either they take that away too. Communication is horrible between higher ups. If your single or older with kids grown go ahead apply. They money isnt really worth it you end up giving more back to the government anyways. Theres no room for advancement.Horrible place to work plain and simple.

Stop saying your family friendly when you care nothing about employees family.

9. Worked for Martin marietta for two years wv

I worked at Martin Marietta Materials

Pros

Great work crew lots of overtime actually the best crew I've worked with ever

Cons

Crew to small to move up in company your pretty much stuck where your at unless someone quits or retires bad for low man

No advice management was real good on my site

10. Would NOT recommend

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Martin Marietta Materials

Pros

None. There were no pros.

Cons

Was hired by a manager who did not have clear goals or job duties for me. Completely ignored my requests for work then passed me off to another manager who micro-managed my day. Tried to work with that manager, but they did not want to be accountable or make any effort at communication directly with me. Overall - lack of a decent manager resulted in a daily stressful environment.

Figure out BEFORE you hire an employee what their job duties should entail.

11. Good company but death by meeting.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Martin Marietta Materials full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company, nice people, decent work-life balance.

Cons

Nothing but meeting after meeting and not much decision making. Expected to work long hours without much comp time. Very secretive, not much sharing of company plans.

Learn how to make a decision.