Martin Midstream Partners

2.7
Martin Midstream Partners President, CEO, and Director Ruben S. Martin III
Ruben S. Martin III
1 Rating

1. Good Company to start out with if never been with large company before.

Pros

Friendly co-workers and working environment.

Cons

Operations management not fully informed or properly trained to handle direct operations

Advice to Management

Become more informed and knowledgeable in operations.

2. No longer the great place to work it used to be.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smackover, AR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smackover, AR

I worked at Martin Midstream Partners full-time

Pros

Benefits are pretty good. There are some decent people working there

Cons

Only way to advance is to brown nose, regardless of performance. Management will lie to keep you from getting promoted to another department, then put false information on your performance review to avoid paying you more while touting integrity and respect. VP from corporate comes in and changes marketing strategy without knowing customer base causing severe decline in sales. Any disagreement or questioning of VP decree is detrimental to your career. Extreme micromanagement, stripping professional employees of authority to do their job. Company wide hiring and pay freeze due to mismanagement. Lack of communication. There are many more but can't list them all here

Advice to Management

Look at what the managers and especially VP's are doing to the company and get rid of the bad ones. Do a company wide anonymous survey and find out what the employees really think but won't say due to endangering their job, and act on it.

3. Intern

Current Intern - Intern in Smackover, AR
    Current Intern - Intern in Smackover, AR

I have been working at Martin Midstream Partners as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Gave me the experience I needed to get a full time offer. Lots of good people here.

Cons

Small town. Lack of management.

Advice to Management

Treat your people with respect. Focus on being a leading not being a boss

5. Lots of changing, not necessarily for the better

I have been working at Martin Midstream Partners full-time

Pros

Benefits are good Mostly good people to work with. Pay starting out is decent Owner/CEO seems like a personable guy, and seems to have/follow christian values, and seems to care about employees.

Cons

Pay could be better for what is expected Cutting bonuses and other perks in a record year (operating income, revenue and gross profit) while expecting more of employees, doesn't send a positive message to employees. Corporate management at the VP level is out of touch with reality and doesn't understand the customer while dictating what they want, typical corporate VP mindset. Communication between management and professional employees is horrible Results aren't rewarded (see above) unless you are a suck up Promotions are based on your ability to suck up and stroke the egos of management, instead of your ability to do your job and results

Advice to Management

Make sure you know your customer Reward performance instead of brown-nosing COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR PROFESSIONAL EMPLOYEES!!!!!

6. Level 2 Leadership at Martin Marine

Former Intern - Intern in La Porte, TX
    Former Intern - Intern in La Porte, TX

I worked at Martin Midstream Partners as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about a subject matter I was unfamiliar with. Personal growth during my time here was extremely high due to the challenges I faced, and for that I am thankful. Once I developed a rapport with my peers it was a helpful environment.

Cons

As an intern the program was uncoordinated, I am not sure they had ever had an intern before. The environment was fast paced for some and laid back for others. I felt underutilized and felt underdeveloped. I am sure some of this was my fault, however without any constructive feedback there was little I could do. Trust really seemed to be a big issue here. Pass thru billing was not inline with industry standards when the public side dealt with the private side, this was worrisome.

Advice to Management

Enable your mid level managers to perform some of the tasks that senior management performs, or get rid of them and hire mid level management that you can trust. People here fear for their jobs, which is an unhealthy environment.

7. I loved to work for Martin Marine. All the Staff members are just so welcoming and super friendly.

Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accounting Clerk in Houston, TX

I have been working at Martin Midstream Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everybody works with each other.

Cons

There are no Cons. I liked every thing about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

8. One division out of many divisions

I worked at Martin Midstream Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are nice, okay salary, office view aint bad

Cons

Top guy can do whatever he wants, like hired a cougar and have her prance around the office all day without doing any actual work.

Advice to Management

Whatever, what goes around, comes around.

RSS Feed </> Embed