Martin|Williams

Updated December 19, 2014
Updated December 19, 2014
3.1

Tom Moudry

Good agency while I was there

I have been working at Martin|Williams

Pros

Quality of work. Passion for work, Decent people. Fairly non-political until new leadership arrived.

Cons

Narrow thinking. Stuck in the world of wanting to make television commercials not very digitally minded

CFO is old school and is very political. CEO is stuck in the 90s. President is a puppet for CEO. Not much advice would matter.

Horrible agency. CCO only cares about his ego. Work is crap. Salaries for everyone outside of leadership is pathetic.

I worked at Martin|Williams

Pros

Free soda. (If you steal it.)

Cons

Everything besides the free soda.

Clean house. Get rid of everyone at the top.

Great people! A lot of fun things for employees

Current Employee - Producer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Producer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Martin|Williams full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere to be around. Great work - life balance. Many people with great experience that you can learn from. Had some fantastic mentorship!

Cons

Low pay, creative repeats its over and over again. Next to people with many years of experience huge turnover among young people. New positions are usually not filled within but with outside hires.

Allow for more growth and learning opportunities for your current employees. Sometimes you have all the right people in house just doing wrong jobs.

Good for anyone starting their advertising career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Martin|Williams full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere. Good salary. Better work/life balance than a lot of ad industry jobs in town. Some opportunities to do satisfying, quality work.

Cons

The fun atmosphere can sometimes be distracting, and the party culture doesn't work as well for those who don't drink or don't enjoy socializing outside of work hours. I didn't feel like my professional development goals were supported -- I didn't get the opportunities I hoped for to expand my skills into different areas. Again and again I saw really talented, experienced employees quit or get laid off, only to be replaced by interns who weren't as skilled or easy to work with.

Place more of an emphasis on mentoring. Really listen to and support employees professional goals.

If you must work in advertising, work here.

I have been working at Martin|Williams

Pros

Ok, so they don't pay you the highest salary ever. But believe me, the work environment makes up for it. Huge opportunity for growth over time, and a flexible senior management group that lets you take your own path (with a little bit of convincing, of course).

Cons

Siloed. Many clients are not the most interesting to make ads for, but the flip side of that is that they don't keep you working all night (most of the time). The agency is perpetually understaffed, but only enough so that it becomes difficult when we have a high workload. I've worked at other agencies that are worse in this regard.