Martinrea International

Add Photos

Nick Orlando

More management than manpower

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warren, MI

ProsGreat company to get a start and get in with no experience. They run fast production shifts with only 1 break so if you are a fast paced robot this is the job for you. If you have a cousin here or a relative at another Martinrea you are golden. If you like meeting new people there is a fast turn around rate of employment.

ConsThe management and team was very inspiring during the hiring interview with promise and the need for attention to details comparing the operation and equipment of a Ferrari. The issue is the investors who invested and put money into this satellite company did not allow for the spare parts inventory. There is none. And they desputed and dismissed all options needed for a complete production line. They nicked off safety features like lock washers and used none, no safety wire or lock washers on robot end effectors. No thread locks. Their budget they have cannot maintain their operations unless they shop at harbor freight or they isolate all their hardware purchases to just one singular vendor offering a 20% discount on products over marked 40%. The building was a flea market previous to them installing the production lines. So it is a leased building. They can't change it. In a place where someone air brushed , did tattoos or cooked hot dogs. Once the production lines were installed nothing else was finished. Break room for employees is an old wash room. The IT office and server storage is a closet in the shipping office. The quality office is a stair well.
     They don't even have the basic necessity of grease for a bearing block or hydraulic fluid to top off a hilo. One day the main and only air compressor took a dump. It was a simple part to swap out. No part was on the shelf because no spare parts have ever been ordered. but the company with the part was closed for orders during the weekend. The compressor got repaired and in the downtime they purchased a garage home hobby air compressor from harbor freight. you can run with that. Maybe one hand grinder, that's it. They then bought a 75,000 dollar back up air compressor and still no tools in the tool room. Not even a bench top grinder. Their quality tear down room was supplied with a 40amp plasma cutter trying to cut through hot stamped steel 6mm thick. This hardened steel acts like traditional steel that is 20mm thick. They finally approved the plasma cutter I suggested they needed. I also mentioned the room they have their workers working in will catch fire when you get the right power plasma cutter if the guys you hired as experienced and they really aren't experienced can hurt themselves. In the next 24 hours after buying the new plasma cutter that could finally cut through their steel like butter the room caught fire and nobody knew how to use a fire extinguisher. Operations were shut down for a 2 foot wall fire.
    This place has a lot of promise. That does not mean though promises are always met. Without having needed communication meetings things are getting more mono. Everything is hear say spoken word from one to another with no documentation to back it up. All fixture changes are made by anyone and any department without documentation of engineering changes to be made, no work orders and nothing gets filled out after its complete. There is no tracking.
    This is a full on fast paced production plant supplying parts with on time shipment. Quantity ordered today needs to ship today. However the head manager has only taken on launches where installation gets done, run production and get out. This place is still operating in launch mode even though full production has been going on for 7 months now. Everyone in management from project management to general plant management to human resources and safety to materials. Everyone is new to their position and all have egos thinking they know but really haven't the experience to really know.
     If you are experienced expect to have to train others just fresh out of vocational school getting in on your position that for my position took a requirement minimum of 5 years experience, tools and a degree or a Journeyman Card. Imagine your partner you know hired to do the same things makes the same salary as you and you ask to drill a hole and he drills in reverse burning your bit and that hole you taught how to drill, the hole he taps it also in reverse then later breaking your tap. They hired an Anthropology major as a Industrial Electrical Automation Tech. For perks in tax cuts just like their other ways of hiring.
    It's a leased building so they won't add ventilation in the ceilings or walls which makes conditions hot, humid and irritable at 90 plus degrees daily in the warm days with industrial sealers, oils and metals being welded with fumes not contained or exhausted at all,
    Poor hygienics with PPE kevlar sleeves you have to wear for a week before given a fresh and clean one, you are expected to wear your rubber gloves for the same,
    1 vending machine always empty or takes no more money, no outside break area, no smoking area, no cardboard compactor trash is full in 1 day,
    1 break for your entire shift only 10 minutes into the 3rd hour of work and no wash up time for lunch like most companies offer so you have to wash the sweat, dirt and grease, goto the bathroom and eat your lunch after you wait for 20 plus people to get done using just 1 microwave. You really only get a true 32 minutes total break time per shift versus the average 55 minutes (15,30,10), approx 7min for break and 25 for lunch where traditionally it's a 5 minute wash up period for lunch and end of shift and a 15 minute break morning and 10 afternoon at every where else I have been hired. Not here.
    And when the shift has ended expect to have to do clean up, wash up, do paperwork in overtime and not get paid that overtime. If you clock out 1-14 minutes after your shift you won't get paid for that. They pay quarter of the hour. And if you try to stay after the 15 minutes talks of overtime unauthorized or theft gets mentioned. Add up every employee who works overtime of just ten minutes unpaid through a whole year. Just 1 worker per shift, 6 days a week, 288 days of the work year. You have 96 hours of labor the corporate stole from the one employee unpaid.
    work related injury reports are covered up as if there are no injuries though I witnessed 5 people sent to the clinic in 6 months with accidents and minor injury, scrap steel out the roof and their Detroit steel supplier cannot supply materials when needed.
    When materials do arrive 50% is no good and somehow always passes their quality and fails for our plant and we take the heat from the end customer. Racks for parts to ship are recycled racks They got a deal on the racks of course to save money. We are talking about a 2-5 billion dollar a year company. The robots constantly crash trying to load the bad racks all which are not uniform or the same in tolerance.

There is no ergonomics in play for anything. There is no lift assist machines. Baskets and racks are on the floor for the most part so over reaching, bending, twisting of operators is constant and the bins put on risers parts are packed so tight you need a pry bar. No anti fatigue matting on the floors.

Fault logs, errors and event history data is sent straight to the managers office rather than their technicians so the technicians with the equipment that every other operation uses with alarms, buzzers fault lights and logs. For some reason they don't want that here and will not install, update or program it in. No buzzers or fault lights to alert of a down machine. Downtime is excessive. Operators are forced to walk as far as 100 feet to a radio to make the call of a downed machine. No supervisor is supervising.

Absolutely no tool room to do repairs, no band saw, no drill press, no arbor press, no lathe, no mill, no manual welder, no torch. Just waste water is dumped into the regular drainage system in the same room as their technicians work tables made of particle board with vises installed on the tables so deep you can't turn the head of the vise or put anything vertical in the jaws. So the techs have to go into the tear down quality room and use their tables putting quality work off to the side to complete quality surveys on the materials that need to be qualified now.
    They get all their tools and supplies from Harbor Freight. Their hi lo drivers have no mirrors to see and no fans to keep cool without also being told of having to do proper daily checks on their equipment thus the equipment fails for lack of care then production gets bottle necked occasionally due to a broken down hilo.
    Their quality of welds to the customer are botched and tear down procedures are faked by taking a first piece after 1 hour of production ran already because the first hour of parts are failures. 40-60% failure rate because the weld engineer after 7 months still cannot get it right. They have to meet their numbers first. Keep running!
    Sharp metal parts are constantly stored on the floor standing up because there is not enough storage containers, parts fall occasionally. Baskets, containers and bins are always blocking walk ways or ways for the operators to get to safety if something should happen.

You have the human resource manager doing building maintenance duties against code and then the maintenance team has to fix the issue and correct it.
    Many don't want unions but in this case this place needs direction and work procedures and job descriptions on paper.
    You have operators driving hilos you have hilo drivers doing quality. It is one big cluster of issues.
    They even have a pregnant woman working the hardest production line with no concern even after she asked for a lighter duty position. Many employees are related or close friends so conflict is present amongst employee relationships. Issues with human resources pawning off their duties expecting you to do them on your personal time and settle payroll issues and health insurance issues.

The management team has not had appropriate training in employee relations and will yell, talk down or at the same time give no disciplinary action to others.

They have security but people play on the railroad tracks behind the building putting items on the tracks or people can just walk into the plant, no gates or fencing.

This company just celebrated 1 year of operations and yet all these issues are still present after the first year.
    Upon my hiring I left my previous employer to get a position the same closer to home and be first shift which I have not worked in over 10years so I wanted to better that and have a normal shift finally, agreements that I would be first shift. Finally I am first shift having normal dinners with my wife then all changed one month upon hiring and sent me to 2nd shift because they have nobody reliable for 2nd shift because they hired incompetent partners. The human resource department has no clue how to find and locate good qualified personnel. So for my expertise and skill I got punished pretty much having to support the lack of support. They also won't cover my phone bills from having to call my leader who lives in Windsor and every time I have to report down time over 15 minutes I make the call. That call on average is no less than $60.00 per call for international rates. The same international traveler is treated with difference in attendance because of their travel to work and get stopped by customs often. Even though it is the responsibility of the employee like everyone else hired to be on time, not a minute late, yet any other employee late 1 minute is docked 1 hour of pay. Many people lost their positions because our entrance is next to the train tracks and the train catches people at the gates for as long as 15 minutes before they can clock in to the time clock located in the very center of the production plant.

60 percent of my body was burned real bad and I had to take a week off of work. I called into their hotline number leaving an informative message, I even texted my coworkers and our shift leaders. I made contact three times in that week before my return. Then rumors were texted to me Friday the fourth and final day I was supposed to be scheduled off work for my injury. A coworker texted me they just announced I was terminated at the beginning of shift prep meeting to all employees. They simply denied my communications and even had already sent a termination letter to my home the Friday before I returned on Monday That same Friday the letter was sent out at 2:11pm. They held a company raffle for 2nd shift at 6:30pm and pulled a ticket. I had won a day off paid somehow in the raffle Though I was already terminated more than 4 hours previous to the raffle and was not present to work for more than three days already. They then laughed and gave the winning to someone else - hearsay from a coworker who was present. If it were a raffle I never had a ticket so how could I have won?
      When I came into work to start my shift on Monday (not knowing they had sent that letter and never even called me) after healing from my burns which were not fully healed yet entirely and were tender. they would not accept my doctor note and said I had exceeded my 40 hour Personal Time Off allowance. They said there was nothing they could do. It was a very shady moment. They said "Didn't you receive the letter?" I replied unknowingly, "NO?" Awkward and rude moment indeed.
    I verbally mentioned then that I would to be classified as voluntarily quit at that moment then as to not be terminated since they failed to accept my communications then it would be considered a voluntary quit, they put me down as terminated already though and would not change it. I surrendered and didn't want to fight. I have been fighting with them since my 2nd month of employment trying to get back to 1st shift already after 6 months. I was at this point thankful I am ok from my burns and they had no concern of my health. This is no family of mine. All I ever did is try to give them the direction, experience, professionalism and know how. They didn't want to listen and pushed me out the door. Being good at what I do and expect certain things all other operations have and run with. I must have been a threat to the idiocracy. On top of all that said. I still have not had my Orientation Training after 8 months. They kept putting it off because the room (the attic) they use for the conference room in the winter or summer, it's too hot. I officially never completely hired fully there.
    Thanks Martinrea for the experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut me in your management.

Beware

Materials (Former Employee)

ProsEnjoyed working with member on my team

ConsAttitude of upper mangement needs to be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementHome office needs to take time to see how the sites re being run.

Office worker

Office Worker (Former Employee) Corydon, IN

ProsComfortable atmosphere, casual dress, bankers hours

ConsUnion shop so manufacturing employees were usually tired and/or disgruntled

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep taking care of the workers

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible. If you like 6 days a week 10 hour a day this is the job for you

ProsPay is decent and you have access to 16 hour shifts If you need/want them.

ConsThe worse part for me is the forced 6th work day. I would like to have some Saturdays off to enjoy my life a bit. Some say its not that bad, however when we look at like this we are forced to work 300 days a year
    As apposed to most people, who work 245 days a year. It's an significant difference

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employees better, moral is importaint to any company

The Worst Auto Supplier on the Planet

Engineer (Current Employee) Hopkinsville, KY

ProsYou can learn some processes but don't expect them to sink in more than a couple days before someone in management changes the direction, again. Additionally, you can shine like a rock star if you have any common sense at all, due to the compentency level of the staff.

ConsThe management team is sub-standard, they don't care about their employees, constant negativity, no safety program and long, long hours. The quality output is extremely poor and every customer is living in the plant to oversee their product quality. Typically, all product is on 500% sort at a huge cost of millions to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the management from the CEO down to the Leadership Team's in the plants. You need to make the people feel like they are valuable to the organization. Once you do, most of your problems will take care of themselves.

Crisis managed!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hopkinsville, KY

ProsI've tried long and hard to find something positive to say.

ConsUpper management changes frequently. Several plant managers, assistant plant managers, quality managers, HR managers, and material managers were all fired or quit and replaced multiple times within a year’s timeframe. Each manager made changes to the manufacturing processes that were substandard in the first place. This caused a great deal of confusion on the floor as to what was acceptable for shipment. Rework and scrap is out of control. Substandard quality is the accepted norm. Safety procedures aren’t constantly followed.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate upper management at corporate down. Take the time to find good quality skillful managers and allow the time for changes to take effect. A plant will not change overnight. Pull your corporate managers back to corporate and keep them off the floor. Start a training program for management and the hourly workforce.

Chaos, Chaos and Chaos

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Springfield, TN

ProsThere are many good, hard working employees.

ConsThere is no executive leadership at the plant level.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet control of your manufacturing processes and hold people responsible for deviating or changing without authorization.

Worst Experience of my career. Everyday was a nightmare

Engineering (Current Employee) Troy, MI

ProsGood people and only 1 good manager in Troy offices.

ConsManagement is a joke they would rather motivate by fear and threats than positive reinforcement. There is zero work life balance and no matter how hard you work you are never rewarded for going the extra mile. They have resorted to having to hire nothing but foreign employees here on work visas because anyone else they hire leaves. As one other person here mentioned the design manager is the worst supervisor ever and HR is willing to do nothing about it. To anyone who is interviewing there avoid at all costs. If there was a rating less than one star I would rate them as such.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire your entire engineering and HR management team and try again.

Lots of promise and shallow on delivery.

Logistics Support (Former Employee) Shelbyville, KY

ProsHas the potential to be a great company. Decent benefits and salary at normal hours.

ConsUpper management does not want to listen to constructive criticism and ideas for improvement. First inclination is dispose of workers rather than create long term solutions. Employees are not treated as assets. Work expectation is to hire with the understanding of overtime. Reality is after starting there, you learn that full time is required to be 50 hours not including overtime expectations. Very poorly run operation.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a vision for the long haul and stick to it. Treat employees as long term investments rather than disposable income.

A job

(Former Employee) Shelbyville, KY

ProsThis is a good place to expand your skills but don't expect to be trained.
    You can work as much overtime as you can handle, possibly more.

ConsA fungus of a company that takes over the dead carcass of other companies.
    Safety program is purely reactive and almost nonexistent. Employees are forced to do poor quality work and moral is low. No incentives. Poor management who only rewards family and yes men.
    This company will cut every corner imaginable to save a dime but
    it ends up costing them a fortune because of the epic fails that result.

Advice to Senior ManagementA stitch in time saves nine.
    Treat people with respect and they will want to
    do a good job.

Worked for Martinrea International? Contribute to the Community!