Marukai Corp.

Horrible

Data Entry/Customer Service/Cashier (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFlexible schedule
    Great part time hours.

ConsThe higher ups don't speak English very well.
    Underpaid over worked.
    No promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork for your employees and they will work for you.
    Pay needs to be a lot more for the amount of work they want you to do.

Regular hours, terrible management

Cashier (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe other cashiers are cool people. I got regular hours, unlike retail. They don't cut your hours based on season, only when you make a mistake. Other than that, there aren't many pros.

Cons- Terrible managers. They are terrible communicators. Sometimes they yell at you in Japanese even if you don't even speak any Japanese. Also there was this one manager who refused to help on busy weekends when the line is practically reaching the back of the store.
    - Favoritism towards Japanese workers. I feel like the Japanese workers get away with more than non-Japanese workers. Also, you can't really move up the company unless you are Japanese...All the full-time workers and managers are Japanese. The rest of the people are part-time cashiers, stockpeople, cleaners, or work in the back.
    - Minimum wage ($8/hr), but they expect you to do other jobs in addition like stockperson or cleaner
    - There is a high turnover. One of the people said the average cashier only works 3 months and they quit.

A fairly typical cashiering experience

Cashier (Current Employee) Cupertino, CA

ProsGreat people, good environment, reasonably flexible schedule, delicious free samples on weekends, overall it's a decent place to work if you're just looking for a part-time minimum wage job

ConsThe shifts can get extremely tiring and boring, during off-time you just roll up plastic bags and wait for customers to come, there is absolutely no room for advancement unless you speak Japanese, pay only increases by $.25 every 6 months regardless of effort or quality of work (even a manager said the company was stingy), sometimes very odd policies are adopted in response to problems. For the most part the problems seem to be with corporate rather than local management.

Advice to Senior ManagementScams and issues in Southern California rarely need to be handled the same way in Northern California.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Let's stick to only one job position.

Accountant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLenient managers and flexible work schedule.
    Prompt payments of paychecks and overtime.

ConsFraternization between managers and employees.
    Favoritism
    Unfair pay rate

Advice to Senior ManagementI would appreciate it if the senior managers would take time to learn exactly what the employees are doing for their job.
    I would also like it if the managers allow the employees to be able to focus on their assigned task rather than making them do other unrelating chores.
    Do not set time limits on the assigned jobs and make the employees do other things after that.
    For example, allow an accountant to focus on accounting rather than to set a time limit to 2PM and then work as a stocker until 6PM.

Things could be better but who am i to complain when there's people out there without a job....

ProsThe department i work in, my co-workers are the best!! Actually, all the employees are great to work with!! I wouldn't want to work with anyone else.

ConsThe higher ups really need to take a second to listen to there employees. Being negative all the time with nothing positive to say just doesn't work for me. There's more to life then just $ and how much the company makes!! No benefits, that's understandable but no overtime during the busiest time of the year, New Years, give me a break. No doubt we are expendable but without us you'd be where?

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication doesn't hurt

Very exploitative in regards to how the company treats their employees.

Buyer (Former Employee)

ProsThe hours were really reflexible. So it's great for college students with changing schedules. And most of my coworkers were really friendly people.

ConsThe compensation for the hard work put in is atrocious. Management doesn't recognize their employees who are the only ones keeping the company afloat. There's a lot of pressure from above to keep improving and to increase productivity, but management do not do their jobs correctly. Many are underqualified for the position. And chance for advancement in this company is close to slim, unless you are Japanese and can speak Japanese or you know someone on the inside. This company tends to hire outside the company instead of promoting from within. And many of these individuals that are hired to manage others cannot even speak English well. Lastly, job security doesn't exist here. People are promoted and demoted within the company so easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage your employees and treat them respectfully. Listen to the issues and respond to them accordingly. You have to communicate more openly and better with your employees.

Worked for Marukai Corp.? Contribute to the Community!