Marukai Corp.

Hidejiro Matsu

Horrible

Current Employee - Data Entry/Customer Service/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Data Entry/Customer Service/Cashier in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Marukai Corp. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule
    Great part time hours.

Cons

The higher ups don't speak English very well.
    Underpaid over worked.
    No promotions.

Work for your employees and they will work for you.
    Pay needs to be a lot more for the amount of work they want you to do.

Very Disappointed

Current Employee - Stocker in West Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Stocker in West Covina, CA

I have been working at Marukai Corp. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Many of the co-workers are friendly, the life/work balance is great as they can adapt your schedule to your needs especially if you are a student. If you are here just to make some money, this is the company that might work for you.

Cons

The company is completely inconsistent with each other regarding it's own policy causing confusion among it's customers. More importantly, the management here are very inconsiderate of it's own employees regardless of their situation such having a injury and they still make you overwork. Speaking overworking, they will make you work in multiple department and underpaid you as with no acknowledge of your hard work.

One of manager assistant here like to impose time limit without warning and like to compare you to other employees by making you look worse then them. Favoritism here is also another problem that run rampage everywhere in the store. There is also no room to grow or any advancement no matter what even you are Japanese.

We have at least up to 10 employees quitting a year, the turnover is very high. We get constant change in managers that most of them only wants to impressive the higher ups and could care less about their employees. You know there is a problem if your own manager has give it up on improving the management team after working for two months, this indicate that problem is rooted more in the corporation itself.

Sadly, this problem has been persisting for a long time based on employees who have been working for years and giving their stories, so I doubt the it will change.

Even with cultural difference, there are many methods from more successful companies to take inspiration from not only to making the company stand out more but how to create a effective team so we do not lose a employee every month. While is great to listen to your workers but you might need understand that why are they unsatisfied and how comparing them with each other is not a efficient way to get them work more especially with a already low minimum wage. Claiming that this that organizing team despite the blatant evidences means the you are in denial.

Regular hours, terrible management

Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Marukai Corp. part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The other cashiers are cool people. I got regular hours, unlike retail. They don't cut your hours based on season, only when you make a mistake. Other than that, there aren't many pros.

Cons

- Terrible managers. They are terrible communicators. Sometimes they yell at you in Japanese even if you don't even speak any Japanese. Also there was this one manager who refused to help on busy weekends when the line is practically reaching the back of the store.
    - Favoritism towards Japanese workers. I feel like the Japanese workers get away with more than non-Japanese workers. Also, you can't really move up the company unless you are Japanese...All the full-time workers and managers are Japanese. The rest of the people are part-time cashiers, stockpeople, cleaners, or work in the back.
    - Minimum wage ($8/hr), but they expect you to do other jobs in addition like stockperson or cleaner
    - There is a high turnover. One of the people said the average cashier only works 3 months and they quit.

A fairly typical cashiering experience

Current Employee - Cashier in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Marukai Corp. part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, good environment, reasonably flexible schedule, delicious free samples on weekends, overall it's a decent place to work if you're just looking for a part-time minimum wage job

Cons

The shifts can get extremely tiring and boring, during off-time you just roll up plastic bags and wait for customers to come, there is absolutely no room for advancement unless you speak Japanese, pay only increases by $.25 every 6 months regardless of effort or quality of work (even a manager said the company was stingy), sometimes very odd policies are adopted in response to problems. For the most part the problems seem to be with corporate rather than local management.

Scams and issues in Southern California rarely need to be handled the same way in Northern California.

Let's stick to only one job position.

Former Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Accountant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Marukai Corp.

Pros

Lenient managers and flexible work schedule.
    Prompt payments of paychecks and overtime.

Cons

Fraternization between managers and employees.
    Favoritism
    Unfair pay rate

I would appreciate it if the senior managers would take time to learn exactly what the employees are doing for their job.
    I would also like it if the managers allow the employees to be able to focus on their assigned task rather than making them do other unrelating chores.
    Do not set time limits on the assigned jobs and make the employees do other things after that.
    For example, allow an accountant to focus on accounting rather than to set a time limit to 2PM and then work as a stocker until 6PM.

Things could be better but who am i to complain when there's people out there without a job....

I have been working at Marukai Corp. part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The department i work in, my co-workers are the best!! Actually, all the employees are great to work with!! I wouldn't want to work with anyone else.

Cons

The higher ups really need to take a second to listen to there employees. Being negative all the time with nothing positive to say just doesn't work for me. There's more to life then just $ and how much the company makes!! No benefits, that's understandable but no overtime during the busiest time of the year, New Years, give me a break. No doubt we are expendable but without us you'd be where?

Communication doesn't hurt

Very exploitative in regards to how the company treats their employees.

Former Employee - Buyer
    Former Employee - Buyer

I worked at Marukai Corp.

Pros

The hours were really reflexible. So it's great for college students with changing schedules. And most of my coworkers were really friendly people.

Cons

The compensation for the hard work put in is atrocious. Management doesn't recognize their employees who are the only ones keeping the company afloat. There's a lot of pressure from above to keep improving and to increase productivity, but management do not do their jobs correctly. Many are underqualified for the position. And chance for advancement in this company is close to slim, unless you are Japanese and can speak Japanese or you know someone on the inside. This company tends to hire outside the company instead of promoting from within. And many of these individuals that are hired to manage others cannot even speak English well. Lastly, job security doesn't exist here. People are promoted and demoted within the company so easily.

Manage your employees and treat them respectfully. Listen to the issues and respond to them accordingly. You have to communicate more openly and better with your employees.