Marvell Technology

Marvell Technology Reviews in Austin, TX

Updated July 7, 2014
Updated July 7, 2014
3.1

Marvell Technology President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Marvell Semiconductor Sehat Sutardja
Sehat Sutardja

Pros
  • I was able to learn a lot in my time there as well as work on my own personal coding skills (in 11 reviews)

• work life balance, good opportunities , challenging work (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Arrogant incompetent upper management with questionable ethics (in 20 reviews)

• If you care about your job or your sense of professionalism, your work life balance is awful (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work, great total compensation.

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marvell Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to do a lot of different things if you show interest.

Cons

Development opportunity depends on geography of your site.

Be more courageous in monetizing products, keep an open mind for all markets.

White water rafting

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marvell Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very shallow organization. Only 4 levels of hierarchy between engineer and CEO. Entire management chain is highly technical and hands on in most groups.
    For someone with enthusiasm and motivation there are endless opportunities and possibilities. There is some politics but very minimal.

Cons

Lack of long term product roadmap at the executive level. This results in unnecessary thrashing and schedule pressure at the engineering level.

Marvell is no longer a startup but transitioning into a mature company. Internal processes and execution have to be adjusted to allow that growth or the company will bootstrap itself from expanding to the next level.

Marvell Austin

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Marvell Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

very fast paced work env. Smart people to work with

Cons

very busy...and pay is below the average comparing the similar size companies,.

Tough company with great futuure

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marvell Technology

Pros

1. techniques is strong
    2. Efficiency is high
    3. Employee take mutliple tasks, good for growth

Cons

tough, work hard, compensation is not attractive (improving now)

No professional management in Marvell. Still has family business impact

Great engineers, great technology, great markets, great potential, but something's missing.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marvell Technology

Pros

Handheld and mobile computing business is an interesting market to play in. Good engineers with great ideas. An ongoing commitment to improve the product development cycle with regard to quality and time to market. It's great seeing our products being adopted by key customers, and even better to have those customers return to us for their next generation product needs. Great cross-collaboration between same-site project teams. A good mix of disciplines and career backgrounds provides well rounded development teams. Employees are encouraged to ask tough questions and demand honest answers, and management generally does its best to provide those answers. Remarkably little corporate B.S. as compared to other companies I have worked at.

Cons

Santa Clara is a newcomer in a business that the Austin (ex-Intel) site has plenty of experience, but Santa Clara often downplays or outright ignores the expertise and experience of the Austin site. Too much micromanagement, starting at the top. Before we make an offer to hire someone, the offer must first be personally approved by the CEO. This is fine in a small startup, but is a questionable practice in a company employing over 5000 people. I see some of my peers working insane overtime, which again might make sense in a pre-IPO startup, but given the stock performance level, I just don't understand the benefit of making such sacrifices.

Encourage your people to do what they do best, and then enable them to do it. Don't micromanage.

Marvell Technology Photos