Marvell Technology

www.marvell.com

Marvell Technology Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Marvell Technology President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Marvell Semiconductor Sehat Sutardja

Sehat Sutardja

Pros
  • I was able to learn a lot in my time there as well as work on my own personal coding skills(in 11 reviews)

• Depending on team and manager, good work/life balance(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor decision making by upper management (More reactionary than pro-active)(in 19 reviews)

• If you care about your job or your sense of professionalism, your work life balance is awful(in 8 reviews)

176 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Crazy and stupid top management

Director (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNice and cheap breakfast, lunch and dinner provided.

ConsPoor job security. Top management has no idea what they're doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless for storage, this is a terrible company.

Bad company, but stable job

Senior Staff Design Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsNice cafetaria and gym. And if you work in established group (not in speculative group working on product with no customers), then it's a very safe house. You will find worst engineer in your life in this group but somehow always survive and keeps working at Marvell for many years.

ConsNo transparency from management. In a recent case, the bonus was small because management said that company's target was not met. However, the management also said that they don't know what the target was. And promotion seems to be random. Some average-performing people got promoted, and some good-performing people just don't get promoted.
      In conclusion, only work here as your last choice or you're lazy to move to other company.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company's management is so bad that any advice to management is of no use.

Senior Management is CLUELESS

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsFood is cheap, some people are nice.

ConsI've been told "It's not your place" when discussing potential positive changes to processes by direct manager.
    Direct manager has zero training, expect to be offended regularly.
    People get fired for other people's mistakes.
    Sales team has zero accountability so everyone else has to do their work.
    Work 3 jobs, they pay the price of one.
    Watched Weili throw her jacket at a support staffer, expecting them to hang it up.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop with the blatant nepotism. And learn what a real business model looks like, no one could understand the concentric circle displayed at the last meeting.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Alice in Lalaland

Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsIf you are in the right team, you can seek solace in working with good people.
    Decent cafeteria
    Decent campus
    Some groups working on awesome cutting edge stuff.

ConsManagers have no power. Everything comes from the top.
    CEO has his favorites.
    Lateral movement is not encouraged/allowed
    Ultimate penny pinchers
    WIll make you work like hell and pay peanuts. No raises either. Sweatshop mentality.
    The stock sucks

Advice to Senior ManagementResign and let pros manage the company. Even after a buy back the stock has tanked. It is not because people are not working harder. You are making the wrong decisions. Market share does not equal profitability.

Lots of opportunity, but ultimately at the benefit only for the founders

Director, Marketing (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsOpportunity to do a lot of different things
    Opportunity to wear lots of hats
    Lots of hard working people around you

ConsEmotional and irrational decision making
    Lack of planning
    Very reactionary, poor decision making environment
    Senior management does not trust anybody

Awful company culture

(Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsGood food, cheap cafeteria. Free on-site gym. Benefits are pretty good.

Cons-Company culture is awful. Everyone keeps to themselves - people weren't necessarily unfriendly, but not friendly, either. There is NO diversity at all (just spend a minute in the cafeteria during lunchtime, and you will understand).
    -There is a lot of fighting/politics between groups and it often felt like we were working for different companies, and not on one team. Extremely frustrating.
    -People are resistant to change/improving necessary process, even though current systems/tools/processes are severely outdated and hamper the company's efficiency.
    -Executive management only cares about themselves (husband-wife team) and how to make themselves richer. Focus is only on engineering instead of running a real business.
    -Company outlook is not great, and they're in the middle of a huge lawsuit with Carnegie Mellon. Raises/bonuses have been a pittance because company has not been doing well.
    -No career growth at all.
    -Because management is so paranoid of headhunters, there is no published org chart, which makes cross functional roles very difficult because you don't know who works for what. It's not like not having an org chart will keep people at the company - people are leaving in flocks anyway.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really care about the company, you'd bring someone in from the outside to help run it instead of only caring about your own wealth and your family.

Don't go work here.

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsSome great people work here. Unfortunately they are stifled by a negative culture and poor management.

ConsPeople are treated poorly by management. The ego of management gets in the way of progress and growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis company needs new senior management.

Previous Sr Staff Engineer in Santa Clara's central Physical Design team

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsAt the time (2007-2008) food is free. Gym, covered parking, free lunch on weekends if you are on site.

ConsIN this particular group: un-verified flow is forced to be used, very to no support from management, very incompetent designers produce sub-standard netlist to work with. Unbelivable micro-management from the top; even have the ball to disturb you on Thanksgiving to get things done. Attrition is high (both layoff and voluntary). It's called the "sweat shop" in the industry. Definitely think twice about coming to work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect individuals or good people will keep leaving.

Disorganized, delusional, sloppy, depressing.

Development Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsAccess to high grade ASIC talent, at least at Santa Clara HQ

ConsWorkflows were undefined and/or incomplete, no decision making structure, no accountability, unbalanced development structure, poor lab organization, and the most racist culture experience in my entire career. Note that these observations were primarily from perspective of a particular product development group, plus lunch room random observation and so YMMV.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarvell is still driven by its founders who should have followed the typical startup/growth curve a long time ago and stepped aside. Difficult to assess how they are still a major semiconductor player.

Engineering at Marvell

Design Verification Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros-may be a good place for new grads
    -Lots of talented people around

Cons-Pay is much low compared to market
    -No one recognizes or acknowledges your Talent/hardwork
    -CEO & Upper management has issues. Until they recognize and treat their engineers well, this company is going no where.
    -To sum all together, sweat shop/cheap labour.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize your talent, else they have lots of options !

Worked for Marvell Technology? Contribute to the Community!