www.marykay.com

Updated January 30, 2015
4.1

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Life as a Government Relations Intern

Former Employee - Government Relations Intern in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Government Relations Intern in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

A company environment and culture that seeks both the company's and the employees' overall good.

Cons

Always outnumbered by women, but who says that's a bad thing?

Find more ways to integrate departments' interns for collaboration.

Okay Experience

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I learned a lot.
    Gave me opportunities to learn all the roles and was able to work on a wide range of projects
    Benefits and compensation

Cons

Long hours
    People push there work on you
    Caddy employees
    Do not follow the Mary Kay way
    Management is unfair with promotions
    Unfair work environment

Be more open and fair with employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Salary. Good Environment to work in. Flexible Holidays. Work from Home. Latest Technologies.

Cons

Rigid Supervisors. Old School Leadership

Improve the trust. And Give independence to lower level people. Trust other teams and build relationships with divisions rather than competition.

Intern experience

Former Employee - Global Intern in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Global Intern in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I interned for the global department of Mary Kay. I was able to assist with all aspects of the creative process. It was a wonderful experience where I was able to gain a lot of knowledge about producing, editing, brainstorming, and trafficking of print and videos to other countries. I was able to gain experience in a wide range of materials that could further my career.

Cons

There was not much room for growth in the company as an employee. Most people are contractors that don't receive benefits and could take years to become an actual employee.

First Contract Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I took this contract position to get back into a field I haven't been in for several years, increase my salary point, and work a legitimate 40-hour work week (rather than the 50-60 hours a week I was working in my previous permanent full-time job). It has certainly allowed me to do those things, but I am not happy with the move. I think I may just not be cut out for freelance work.

Cons

The training pace has been very slow and not very helpful, and the level of trust placed in me by my direct supervisor has been disappointingly low (though I'm not sure if this is just me, her need for control, or a lack of trust in contractors in general). I was told the contract would not extend past eight months but I wasn't trained on any of my actual job duties until I had been there for two weeks, and they don't seem like temporary needs, but I guess it's on them if they don't want to use me for what they hire me for.

I don't feel at home here, perhaps because it's contract and I went in with a set end date in mind, but I don't think I will want to stay even if I'm offered an extension. I'm having a hard time understanding how/why so many people have stayed for 10-20 years. Part of this could also be my experience with HR, which has been terrible.

Having such a large number of contract employees, more effort could be put into a formal orientation and/or training program. That might have made me feel a bit more included, even for the short time I expect to stay. This would not even have to take more than an hour or two.

Amazing career opportunities

I worked at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

The people are great and the benefits are amazing

Cons

Salary seems to suffer due to the benefits

Focus on consistency

Manager IT

Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice building, good pay, and bonuses.

Cons

The CIO is out to lunch. The VP's only care about their political standing. They don't have clues on how to get things done. Most projects take years to get implemented. They treat the staff like it should be a privilege to work there.

Get rid of all Sr. Leadership at find people who are good at their job.

An okay work place

Current Employee - Software Developer in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I found nothing extra ordinary about this place.

Cons

Some office politics. Okay salary, nothing great. Very less growth opportunities.

The "Mary Kay Way" isn't their way

Current Employee - Print Shop Customer Service Representative in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Print Shop Customer Service Representative in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The building is nice, as well as majority of the people who work there. The atmosphere in general is upbeat and professional.

Cons

Everyone is last minute, lazy, and wanting you to bend over backwards to make what they didn't have enough time to do happen.

Evaluations need to be given to all employees. Management needs to re-evaluate some people that they have hired.

9 out of 10 of these reviews are from independent sales force members, not from employees

Current Employee - Management in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful building, good pay and benefits. Nice people. Sales force is amazing.

Cons

Slow, decision by committee. U.S. division is stagnant and territorial (from the top). Old fashioned management styles and lots of puffed up egos. Prime positions tend to go to those won't rock the boat or think outside the box.

Don't keep waiting for dead weight to retire. Package them out. its no secret who they are. And maybe you should promote a few more brave people who aren't afraid to take risks and the responsibility that goes along with those risks. And leaders, be visionary, and reward others who are. It's ok to disagree as Vice Presidents. Don't all meld into minions. And, stop getting business advice from the people who retired already! Let them go!

Mary Kay Photos