Mary Kay

Mary Kay Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl

David B. Holl

Pros:
  • "Place God first, family second and career third in my life"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you don't have self discipline and an entrepreneural spirit, this is not the career for you"
    in 8 reviews
  • "It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It is a JOB...but many don't see it that way

ProsThere is flexibility because you work for yourself and choose the career path you work towards. The more appointments you hold and recruits you have, the more money you theoretically make.

ConsUnless you build a team of recruits, you really do not net much money if you attend the conferences and participate in everything you are encouraged to do...that all costs money that comes from your profits. Plus, you need to buy supples and samples that also chop away from profits. While you are caught up in the pink bubble, many do not see clearly and think they are making more money than they truly are. Even with recruits, unless they are placing orders on a regular basis, your commissions may not be much.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut back on events that cause consultants to travel and pay hundreds of dollars to do so. Also reduce/ deter speakers that sell their "systems" to consultants for hundreds of dollars...they don't change 98% of the population and just make the speakers richer

It's up to you

Marmora, NJ

ProsUnlimited earning potential, company perks possible (cars, jewelry/diamonds, etc.), advancement, company support, flexible hours, no territories, etc.

ConsYou have to get out there and market yourself and your business - business is not going to come to you. It does require work (and on-hand inventory is helpful).

Excellent opportunity!

Team Leader (Current Employee)
    Fort Wayne, IN

ProsFrom the company philosophies to "God first, family second, career third" to "Follow the Golden Rule", Mary Kay teaches its consultants to focus on what matters most.

ConsIt's important to be realistic when setting big goals. Dream big, just realize that it is hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Opportunity

ProsFlexibility, great income, tax breaks, earn free cars

ConsYou must be self disciplined for success.

Lopsided opportunity.

El Paso, TX

ProsGreat personal growth experiences; enjoyed life lessons.

ConsCompany is excited for you while things are going good; not so much when not going so good. Lopsided opportunity for those without a commissioned National Sales Director and/or a motivated and productive Sales Director.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop an opportunity for Consultants and Directors in the "Go Give" area (those who do not have a commissioned National Sales Director) to be adopted into a commissioned National Sales Director's area. Lack of support by a commissioned National Sales Director by thousands of Consultants and Directors leads to lopsided and UNEQUAL opportunity for those who lack a commissioned National Sales Director. There are many in the company who would deny this, giving grandiose examples of this person and that person who have achieved great accomplishments in spite of not having a commissioned NSD, however those stories are not the common experiences of most "Go Give Area" Consultants and Directors. Those who share such stories do so to promote their position and to attempt to gently dilute the truth that it does indeed matter who you join the company under and what leadership you may or may not enjoy within that group's support hierarchy.

Career Car Staff - please be as genuinely caring and nice to the Director or Consultant who has lost her career car as the one who has just earned it.

Mary Kay is an exceptional business concept and emopwers women.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe sisterhood and training was second to none.

ConsThe only concern is that not all directors and or consultants are honest about how much work it really takes to grow a profitable business. Also some directors coerce their team members into doing whatever is necessary in completing whatever business level they are pursuing;such as pay day loans, high interest loans, borrow from 401K. The ones that wins the race is those who are slow and steady.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lots of consultants around the world, but hiring staff to do quality assurance would be great or act as secrect shoppers. I'd do it for you in a heart beat. I still continue to endorse Mary Kay because the products are good and the process works. Just tainted with people who are all about the money.........

Independent Sales Rep

Independent Beauty Consultant (Former Employee)
    Dallas, TX

ProsGreat products, lots of support and training available.

ConsNot necessarily cons, just part of the industry. True sales job so to make profit you need to invest in marketing materials and samples. I you have to cold call leads to build your business.

Good place to start

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe products are good, I love the products

ConsUnethical practices, fake it till you make it attitude, if you don't recruit then you are not working hard enough...

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people make their own choices, don't make us feel we HAVE to get inventory or HAVE to recruit.

Great Products!

Lexington-Fayette, KY

ProsGreat Products and there is always something new to make you look and feel great!

ConsThey tell you that you can do this job part time and supplement your income...FALSE! The supplemental income only comes with a large time and monetary investment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's 2014! The world is a digital world. We need to utilize online sales more and make this an opportunity for consultants to invest little money and work part time and still supplement income.

Great way to make extra money if you have a lot of friends

Marykay Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
    Gastonia, NC

ProsEasy way to make extra money. Great way to help people see the value/beauty in themselves. Very positive and uplifting environment.
    Lots of love and support from those around you because the business is built on mindset of 'what would you do if you couldn't fail' and 'you have to help someone else to help yourself'

ConsYou really need to know a lot of people with disposable income to do well in the business. Mary Kay sales it's self to those that are willing to try it. Usually people that don't know you are reluctant to have a stranger hand them things to put on their face without a referral from a friend or family member.

Worked for Mary Kay? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mary Kay reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mary Kay CEO David B. Holl. All 274 reviews posted anonymously by Mary Kay employees.