www.marykay.com

Updated December 18, 2014
4.1

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

51 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Salary. Good Environment to work in. Flexible Holidays. Work from Home. Latest Technologies.

Cons

Rigid Supervisors. Old School Leadership

Improve the trust. And Give independence to lower level people. Trust other teams and build relationships with divisions rather than competition.

Not what the company used to be, but still probably better than average.

Current Employee - Processing Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Processing Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO and vacation is good.
    Opportunity for advancement is good.
    401K and profit sharing is good.

Cons

Benefits aren't what they used to be.
    Compensation hasn't been adjusted form the offset of the benefits.
    Company has been on a steady decline since Mary Kay Ash's death.

Management needs to listen to the workers more and adjust compensation for what we had lost in benefits.

Okay Experience

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I learned a lot.
    Gave me opportunities to learn all the roles and was able to work on a wide range of projects
    Benefits and compensation

Cons

Long hours
    People push there work on you
    Caddy employees
    Do not follow the Mary Kay way
    Management is unfair with promotions
    Unfair work environment

Be more open and fair with employees

First Contract Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I took this contract position to get back into a field I haven't been in for several years, increase my salary point, and work a legitimate 40-hour work week (rather than the 50-60 hours a week I was working in my previous permanent full-time job). It has certainly allowed me to do those things, but I am not happy with the move. I think I may just not be cut out for freelance work.

Cons

The training pace has been very slow and not very helpful, and the level of trust placed in me by my direct supervisor has been disappointingly low (though I'm not sure if this is just me, her need for control, or a lack of trust in contractors in general). I was told the contract would not extend past eight months but I wasn't trained on any of my actual job duties until I had been there for two weeks, and they don't seem like temporary needs, but I guess it's on them if they don't want to use me for what they hire me for.

I don't feel at home here, perhaps because it's contract and I went in with a set end date in mind, but I don't think I will want to stay even if I'm offered an extension. I'm having a hard time understanding how/why so many people have stayed for 10-20 years. Part of this could also be my experience with HR, which has been terrible.

Having such a large number of contract employees, more effort could be put into a formal orientation and/or training program. That might have made me feel a bit more included, even for the short time I expect to stay. This would not even have to take more than an hour or two.

Intern experience

Former Employee - Global Intern in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Global Intern in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I interned for the global department of Mary Kay. I was able to assist with all aspects of the creative process. It was a wonderful experience where I was able to gain a lot of knowledge about producing, editing, brainstorming, and trafficking of print and videos to other countries. I was able to gain experience in a wide range of materials that could further my career.

Cons

There was not much room for growth in the company as an employee. Most people are contractors that don't receive benefits and could take years to become an actual employee.

Operations Supervisor

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits, generous profit sharing, allowed to acknowledge God. Paid Vacation, Holidays, Sick Time.

Cons

Difficult to administer any disciplinary action without deep HR scrutiny. Once promoting within was the norm, it has now fallen back to hiring external.

Promote Within.

An amazing experience in a nurturing environment with a passion to help 750,000 independent beauty consultants.

Former Employee - Digital Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Digital Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people care about what happens to you as a person rather than just another face around the office.
    Management allows any idea to come from any where as long as it's realistic and can be easily implemented.
    Supported by a powerful IT department that is always looking for the next big thing.
    This company puts the customer first and their customer service department is run from the heart rather than the wallet.

Cons

You have to be faith driven or you may tire of the faith filled messages. Nothing wrong with getting a little faith every day!
    You have to believe in women. If you don't, you won't make it here. Again, nothing wrong with getting your girl on!
    Hard to have a bad day when you are surrounded by such positivity!!

I think they do a great job. I think the company could be more aggressive in marketing. The more you grow, the salespeople you have, the more product you make.....to grow, you need to advertise consistently and in a big way....like Loreal.

Amazing career opportunities

I worked at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

The people are great and the benefits are amazing

Cons

Salary seems to suffer due to the benefits

Focus on consistency

Awesome company but their HR department needs to go!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time

Pros

Work- life balance, awesome culture, a lot of gifts they give out, happy employees, fun events, a lot of interaction with other employees and fun atmosphere.

Cons

HR department is horrible. They are extremely two faced. They will use anything against you, pick at things you are doing wrong even when they make those same mistakes but it is only acknowledged when someone else does it, they play favoritism and they truly are not nice people like they act to be. They also gossip and create problems that were not there before. Terrible HR department.

Hire a team of HR folk that isn't so two faced and back stabbing.

Working for Mary Kay Cosmetics is awesome! So many phenominal people with fantastic ideas!

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company values are fantastic, along with amazing leadership and proof of success.

Cons

It is challenging to add team members that stay motivated and actually work the business.

Mary Kay Photos