www.marykay.com

Updated December 16, 2014
4.2

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome opportunity

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Wonderful leadership training for women. Opportunities are unlimited. You meet incredible women that teach by example and want to share the knowledge they have gained through their businesses.

Cons

Not everyone that is involved with this company operates by the same standards that Mary Kay Ash established and operated by. The company needs to update to embrace new technology.

Please remember the Golden Rule that Mary Kay herself lived by. She created this company to be a safe haven for women. Don't allow the sharks to rule the water.

Great opportunities that you cannot find elsewhere.

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Morrison, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Morrison, CO

I have been working at Mary Kay as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You meet so many people and have a fabulous social life and get to dress up and have fun.

Cons

It can be difficult to find your rhythm at first and to be turned down or even talked down to.

Upper management does a great job of supporting the consultants.

Intern

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

Good benefits and very nice people

Cons

Growth opportunities are coparatively less.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Salary. Good Environment to work in. Flexible Holidays. Work from Home. Latest Technologies.

Cons

Rigid Supervisors. Old School Leadership

Improve the trust. And Give independence to lower level people. Trust other teams and build relationships with divisions rather than competition.

Actual Mary Kay "Employee"

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Beautiful building, nice parking garage, good benefits, nice cafeteria

Cons

Let me first say that I am an actual "employee" at the corporate office and not an Independent Beauty Consultant (IBC). My first impression with Mary Kay was what an exciting place to work!

I soon found out that Mary Kay's leadership and management style is stuck in the 80's. Here at Mary Kay it's decision by committee, it's who you know and not what you know, and it's appearance over results. Instead of encouraging out of the box thinking, they discourage it. In fact, people look down their noses at you when you mention how things are done some place else.

I had great hopes when coming to Mary Kay, but now I feel as though I can't wait to get out! Here are a lot of managers with puffed up ego's who build empires to do nothing other than make themselves look good.

In short, from the dress code (business professional) to it's lack of empowering people to make their own decisions, Mary Kay is stuck in the past and behind the times!

Bring in new blood. Don't be afraid to change the culture.

Okay Experience

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I learned a lot.
    Gave me opportunities to learn all the roles and was able to work on a wide range of projects
    Benefits and compensation

Cons

Long hours
    People push there work on you
    Caddy employees
    Do not follow the Mary Kay way
    Management is unfair with promotions
    Unfair work environment

Be more open and fair with employees

First Contract Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I took this contract position to get back into a field I haven't been in for several years, increase my salary point, and work a legitimate 40-hour work week (rather than the 50-60 hours a week I was working in my previous permanent full-time job). It has certainly allowed me to do those things, but I am not happy with the move. I think I may just not be cut out for freelance work.

Cons

The training pace has been very slow and not very helpful, and the level of trust placed in me by my direct supervisor has been disappointingly low (though I'm not sure if this is just me, her need for control, or a lack of trust in contractors in general). I was told the contract would not extend past eight months but I wasn't trained on any of my actual job duties until I had been there for two weeks, and they don't seem like temporary needs, but I guess it's on them if they don't want to use me for what they hire me for.

I don't feel at home here, perhaps because it's contract and I went in with a set end date in mind, but I don't think I will want to stay even if I'm offered an extension. I'm having a hard time understanding how/why so many people have stayed for 10-20 years. Part of this could also be my experience with HR, which has been terrible.

Having such a large number of contract employees, more effort could be put into a formal orientation and/or training program. That might have made me feel a bit more included, even for the short time I expect to stay. This would not even have to take more than an hour or two.

cosmetics company

I worked at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

you can make your own schedule
    competitive
    uses creativity for sales promotions

Cons

sales goals are sometimes unreachable

Mary Kay is an incredibly positive company that offers extensive free business training.

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Mary Kay is VERY positive. Consultants and Directors work with each other instead of against. There are many incentives for sales and team building, including a free car program.

Cons

Although consultants are trained to overcome obstacles, this job requires a certain amount of self-motivation and passion.

Mary Kay is a wonderful opportunity for all women, but make sure to discern if it is the right opportunity for each woman. Some may be skilled consultants, but not 'called' to work as one.

Intern experience

Former Employee - Global Intern in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Global Intern in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I interned for the global department of Mary Kay. I was able to assist with all aspects of the creative process. It was a wonderful experience where I was able to gain a lot of knowledge about producing, editing, brainstorming, and trafficking of print and videos to other countries. I was able to gain experience in a wide range of materials that could further my career.

Cons

There was not much room for growth in the company as an employee. Most people are contractors that don't receive benefits and could take years to become an actual employee.

Mary Kay Photos