Mary Kay

Updated December 6, 2014
4.2

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Mary Kay Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like that I can buy my makeup at a discount.

Cons

I don't like to be pushy.

Keep up the good work!

Sad that God is 'used' and they destroy, rather than enrich women's lives.

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Finding a CMO who can actually take the business to the next level and who has the respect of the Sales Force and the following of many.

Cons

How popular are you? You can determine whether you are in trouble or not based on whether the HR leaders are talking to you. If you are considered popular, they love you....The IT department aren't taught anything except how to kiss up to leaders for promotions. They have no skills to take away from their time with the company.

I would love to speak to our President, if I could find him. He has been MIA since he and HR secretively brought on the new COO - Thomas Cho to clean house. Cho has taken that task literally and already brought his own people in. It's obvious he likes to rule with fear. We have lost some great people, all direct, transparent, hardworking. Anyone who voice their opinions to Cho or HR have been fired. I know this will get worse before it improves. It's tough for us that are still here to watch in fear to see who will be next.

overall a really bad time and waste of money

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

you will meet nice people

Cons

just about everything you can think of

Mary Kay is such a scam

Former Employee - Sales Director With Mary Kay in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Director With Mary Kay in Chicago, IL

I worked at Mary Kay as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working with this company. Rather than earning money, you will lose lots of money. No pros at all.

Cons

Backstabbing among directors, cheating to achieve "goals", shunning those who decide to leave, the list goes on and on. Lots of cons.

Make this a legitimate company. Make it actually possible to make a living as a director. Require sales reports before giving sales "awards". There is so much you need to change.

4 stars not indicative of real company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good salaries and bonuses.

Cons

Everything. The 4 stars that this company has comes from the sales consultants and not from the people who actually work there. This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Your "friends" are just waiting to stab you in the back. Employees are fired for the smallest things. If they don't like you, they will find some way to get rid of you. Just don't ever work for this company. Mary Kay would roll over in her grave if she knew how employees were being treated now.

Treat employees with dignity and respect. Actual corportate culture is the opposite of what they say their values are. Do what you say you will.

Lies, emotional traps, planning self-fortune on naive women's back

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

The illusions of being part of a family and loving to help others...

Cons

When the illusion becomes reality and we discover that there aren't anything like sharing : it's all about making money and fooling newcomers.

Make sure that the ones leading still have a heart, not a handful of marketing lies to get rich !

Nasty company to work for

Former Employee - Administrative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Can't think of any. You can buy crap cosmetics for very cheap.

Cons

They used to be nice to work for when Mary Kay was alive. Now, the son took over and he treats people awful.

Recruiting and team building will not materialize for most consultants.

Current Employee - Team Leader
    Current Employee - Team Leader

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

The sales side of the business is very straight forward. The skin care and cosmetics are excellent products and women do love them. I reached a #5 sales ranking for my National Area.

Cons

I became disenchanted when recruiting became the main focus. Definitely pressured into buying too big of an inventory. Cult-like culture was a turn-off.

Let women embrace the sales aspect of the business rather than pushing them into team building.

The Most Disrespectful, Unprofessional and Political Company in My Career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

This company is having it's best year ever, apparently. Many people go to work here because of the core values of the company and it's mission from it's founder - to enrich womens lives. Unfortunately, the real culture of the company isn't what it's portrayed to be from the outside looking in.

Cons

Political and backstabbing. I was given no feedback on my job performance. Too many managers are plotting with each other to keep their jobs while plotting to get others fired.

Meanwhile, they are not doing their jobs. They're making their employees do all their work which puts an incredible amount of pressure on the employees, who have no voice. They have no voice because the directors who oversee the managers give complete and blind support to their managers. This creates a large window of opportunity for abuse of power by the managers.

Take a serious look at your middle managers who've been there for 12+ years. Then take a serious look at their managers, the directors. Actually seek out your employee-level workers and begin to build a conversation with them. Create a culture that promotes fairness to everyone, not supreme rule by a few. Make it okay to talk to someone about their managers if they feel they are being mistreated and taken advantage of. Send the message to management that they are not "untouchable" - that they are accountable for the well being of their team members - not just the sales numbers. Make their employees' approval count for something. Make it a two-way street. Give your employees a voice because their managers aren't giving them one. Base their performance reviews on how their employees rate them.

Back stabbing "Christians" out only for themselves

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Pay, benefits, were all top notch. They provide you with the golden handcuffs so you can't find another job that pays as well or that match the benefits.

Cons

poltical, political, political. No matter how good you are at your job, if someone doesn't like you, it's all down hill. Management does not protect employees but leave you hanging out to dry. Too many so called Christians at the company that do not know the meaning of the word! Moto is the Golden Rule, but in reverse, do unto others before they do it to you! Mean hateful management.

Get rid of VP;s of Purchasing, Supply Scheduling, Production Planning, Transportation, Packaging Engineering, and then whittle it on down to Directors of those groups, then to the managers. Maybe then it would be the company Mary Kay Ash started.

Mary Kay Photos