Mary Kay

Mary Kay Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl

David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life(in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't have self discipline and an entrepreneural spirit, this is not the career for you(in 8 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals(in 7 reviews)

Sad that God is 'used' and they destroy, rather than enrich women's lives.

ProsFinding a CMO who can actually take the business to the next level and who has the respect of the Sales Force and the following of many.

ConsHow popular are you? You can determine whether you are in trouble or not based on whether the HR leaders are talking to you. If you are considered popular, they love you....The IT department aren't taught anything except how to kiss up to leaders for promotions. They have no skills to take away from their time with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would love to speak to our President, if I could find him. He has been MIA since he and HR secretively brought on the new COO - Thomas Cho to clean house. Cho has taken that task literally and already brought his own people in. It's obvious he likes to rule with fear. We have lost some great people, all direct, transparent, hardworking. Anyone who voice their opinions to Cho or HR have been fired. I know this will get worse before it improves. It's tough for us that are still here to watch in fear to see who will be next.

overall a really bad time and waste of money

Prosyou will meet nice people

Consjust about everything you can think of

Mary Kay is such a scam

Sales Director With Mary Kay (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are no pros to working with this company. Rather than earning money, you will lose lots of money. No pros at all.

ConsBackstabbing among directors, cheating to achieve "goals", shunning those who decide to leave, the list goes on and on. Lots of cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake this a legitimate company. Make it actually possible to make a living as a director. Require sales reports before giving sales "awards". There is so much you need to change.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

4 stars not indicative of real company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat benefits, good salaries and bonuses.

ConsEverything. The 4 stars that this company has comes from the sales consultants and not from the people who actually work there. This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Your "friends" are just waiting to stab you in the back. Employees are fired for the smallest things. If they don't like you, they will find some way to get rid of you. Just don't ever work for this company. Mary Kay would roll over in her grave if she knew how employees were being treated now.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with dignity and respect. Actual corportate culture is the opposite of what they say their values are. Do what you say you will.

Lies, emotional traps, planning self-fortune on naive women's back

Independent Beauty Consultant (Current Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

ProsThe illusions of being part of a family and loving to help others...

ConsWhen the illusion becomes reality and we discover that there aren't anything like sharing : it's all about making money and fooling newcomers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the ones leading still have a heart, not a handful of marketing lies to get rich !

Nasty company to work for

Administrative (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCan't think of any. You can buy crap cosmetics for very cheap.

ConsThey used to be nice to work for when Mary Kay was alive. Now, the son took over and he treats people awful.

Recruiting and team building will not materialize for most consultants.

Team Leader (Current Employee)

ProsThe sales side of the business is very straight forward. The skin care and cosmetics are excellent products and women do love them. I reached a #5 sales ranking for my National Area.

ConsI became disenchanted when recruiting became the main focus. Definitely pressured into buying too big of an inventory. Cult-like culture was a turn-off.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet women embrace the sales aspect of the business rather than pushing them into team building.

The Most Disrespectful, Unprofessional and Political Company in My Career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Addison, TX

ProsThis company is having it's best year ever, apparently. Many people go to work here because of the core values of the company and it's mission from it's founder - to enrich womens lives. Unfortunately, the real culture of the company isn't what it's portrayed to be from the outside looking in.

ConsPolitical and backstabbing. I was given no feedback on my job performance. Too many managers are plotting with each other to keep their jobs while plotting to get others fired.

Meanwhile, they are not doing their jobs. They're making their employees do all their work which puts an incredible amount of pressure on the employees, who have no voice. They have no voice because the directors who oversee the managers give complete and blind support to their managers. This creates a large window of opportunity for abuse of power by the managers.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a serious look at your middle managers who've been there for 12+ years. Then take a serious look at their managers, the directors. Actually seek out your employee-level workers and begin to build a conversation with them. Create a culture that promotes fairness to everyone, not supreme rule by a few. Make it okay to talk to someone about their managers if they feel they are being mistreated and taken advantage of. Send the message to management that they are not "untouchable" - that they are accountable for the well being of their team members - not just the sales numbers. Make their employees' approval count for something. Make it a two-way street. Give your employees a voice because their managers aren't giving them one. Base their performance reviews on how their employees rate them.

Back stabbing "Christians" out only for themselves

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPay, benefits, were all top notch. They provide you with the golden handcuffs so you can't find another job that pays as well or that match the benefits.

Conspoltical, political, political. No matter how good you are at your job, if someone doesn't like you, it's all down hill. Management does not protect employees but leave you hanging out to dry. Too many so called Christians at the company that do not know the meaning of the word! Moto is the Golden Rule, but in reverse, do unto others before they do it to you! Mean hateful management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of VP;s of Purchasing, Supply Scheduling, Production Planning, Transportation, Packaging Engineering, and then whittle it on down to Directors of those groups, then to the managers. Maybe then it would be the company Mary Kay Ash started.

Great company for personal growth, camaraderie, and fun!

Independent Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsCosmetic discounts, fun acitvities for personal and professional growth; if you need a morale boost Mary Kay Cosmetics is the place you want to work!

ConsEveryone is great, friendly, and will do anything to help you sell, however, if you have any aspirations of becoming a sales director you better prepare yourself for a ton of hours spent at meetings, events, and training the new consultants....all without pay! The only way you can make a real living is if you recruit hundreds of new beauty consultants, hope that they stay, and hope that they continue to order cosmetics so you get the commissions...or Love Check as they call it.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying so desperately to recruit new individuals and hire real sales individuals and offer a base salary with sales quotas. I would also strongly suggest to stop allowing people to purchase the cosmetics at 50% off simply for ordering a certain amount each quarter. For the reps really trying to sell, it completely squashes your sales when eventually your customers hear of or find someone that doesn't sell Mary Kay, but they do order a certain amount each quarter, therefore, they can order through their friend or acquaintence for 50% off the retail price. If they can find someone to order it from for half the price, why on earth would they buy it from an independent rep....who is spending money for the mailings, flyers, and paying for all of the party supplies each time they hold an event in their own home to generate some sales.

Worked for Mary Kay? Contribute to the Community!