Mary Kay Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
4.1

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for Mary Kay Cosmetics is awesome! So many phenominal people with fantastic ideas!

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Plano, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company values are fantastic, along with amazing leadership and proof of success.

Cons

It is challenging to add team members that stay motivated and actually work the business.

Best Direct Sales Company

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

love being able to run my own business and share the opportunity with other women. fantastic and free training always! :)

Cons

no cons..... you work hard and you reap the benefits!

Mary Kay Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like that I can buy my makeup at a discount.

Cons

I don't like to be pushy.

Keep up the good work!

It is what you make of it.

Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant
    Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant

I worked at Mary Kay (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mary Kay is about more than putting color on a woman's face. It's about putting color in her soul.

Cons

Success is up to you.

Identify less confident women who may benefit from shadowing and assisting in your office. Fostering confidence will benefit you both in the long run.

Sales director

Current Employee - Sales Director With Mary Kay in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Director With Mary Kay in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Can work independently and make a good income

Cons

Takes a lot of diligence

Na

Manager IT

Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice building, good pay, and bonuses.

Cons

The CIO is out to lunch. The VP's only care about their political standing. They don't have clues on how to get things done. Most projects take years to get implemented. They treat the staff like it should be a privilege to work there.

Get rid of all Sr. Leadership at find people who are good at their job.

Great Opportunity for income potential

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a "get out of it what you put into it" opportunity. If you choose to be a good student and take the time to learn the business, the rewards are exceptional.

Cons

Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed.

Training is amazing and available to those who take advantage of it!! Meetings, conference calls, or online!

I love working for a company that gives so much back to the community and women's organizations!

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best things about working for Mary Kay are that I get to meet and work with so many amazing women every day, I get discounts on excellent skin care products and makeup, and I get to earn extra money just by talking to people!

Cons

At first it's difficult to find a comfortable way to get consultations. I'm not a natural salesperson, even though I love people, so I'm always a little nervous when I start talking to someone new.

Sponsors are really great at helping consultants find their style and comfort zone. It would be nice if there were other positions, though, for those of us that hate marketing and sales. I'm great at data analysis, reporting, and process improvement, and I'd love an opportunity to put those skills to work for this company!

Wonderful Company to be a part of!

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Park Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Park Forest, IL

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are your own boss and can advance up the career path at your own pace. Everyone who has moved further up the path than where you are has been where you are before - this gives you an amazing wealth of knowledge to draw on to improve your skill set. The opportunities are endless! There is opportunity for leadership, personal growth, teamwork and amazing earning potential.

Cons

You are your own boss. I list this as a pro and a con because it can be both. Self-discipline is key if you want to succeed in your goals. The only thing you can control is how much work you are willing to do - that can be frustrating at times.

Keep doing what you are doing! The corporate staff truly cares about the sales force and make us a priority.

Good company

Current Employee - Facilities Mechanic in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Facilities Mechanic in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits great , nice facility , treated fairly. Company has a great reputation in the community . Sets the standard for employers of their caliber .

Cons

Could promote with in the company more . Talk to employes on a one on one basis , get involved with employes training . Set training goals for employes , their is always more to learn

Promote with in

Mary Kay Photos

Just outside of town there is the Mary Kay corporate building. (Photo thanks to Flickr user .sanden, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
The Mary Kay building backs onto a quiet little park that was featured in the low-budget movie Primer. (Photo thanks to Flickr user pwinn, available under by-nc v2.0)
Mary Kay Escalade, Austin (Photo thanks to Flickr user jon_gilbert, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
One of the most beautiful building I've ever seen is the Mary Kay building in North Dallas. (Photo thanks to Flickr user pwinn, available under by-nc v2.0)

+ Add Photo