Mary Kay Reviews

The Most Disrespectful, Unprofessional and Political Company in My Career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

This company is having it's best year ever, apparently. Many people go to work here because of the core values of the company and it's mission from it's founder - to enrich womens lives. Unfortunately, the real culture of the company isn't what it's portrayed to be from the outside looking in.

Cons

Political and backstabbing. I was given no feedback on my job performance. Too many managers are plotting with each other to keep their jobs while plotting to get others fired.

Meanwhile, they are not doing their jobs. They're making their employees do all their work which puts an incredible amount of pressure on the employees, who have no voice. They have no voice because the directors who oversee the managers give complete and blind support to their managers. This creates a large window of opportunity for abuse of power by the managers.

Take a serious look at your middle managers who've been there for 12+ years. Then take a serious look at their managers, the directors. Actually seek out your employee-level workers and begin to build a conversation with them. Create a culture that promotes fairness to everyone, not supreme rule by a few. Make it okay to talk to someone about their managers if they feel they are being mistreated and taken advantage of. Send the message to management that they are not "untouchable" - that they are accountable for the well being of their team members - not just the sales numbers. Make their employees' approval count for something. Make it a two-way street. Give your employees a voice because their managers aren't giving them one. Base their performance reviews on how their employees rate them.

Back stabbing "Christians" out only for themselves

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Pay, benefits, were all top notch. They provide you with the golden handcuffs so you can't find another job that pays as well or that match the benefits.

Cons

poltical, political, political. No matter how good you are at your job, if someone doesn't like you, it's all down hill. Management does not protect employees but leave you hanging out to dry. Too many so called Christians at the company that do not know the meaning of the word! Moto is the Golden Rule, but in reverse, do unto others before they do it to you! Mean hateful management.

Get rid of VP;s of Purchasing, Supply Scheduling, Production Planning, Transportation, Packaging Engineering, and then whittle it on down to Directors of those groups, then to the managers. Maybe then it would be the company Mary Kay Ash started.

Great company for personal growth, camaraderie, and fun!

Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Cosmetic discounts, fun acitvities for personal and professional growth; if you need a morale boost Mary Kay Cosmetics is the place you want to work!

Cons

Everyone is great, friendly, and will do anything to help you sell, however, if you have any aspirations of becoming a sales director you better prepare yourself for a ton of hours spent at meetings, events, and training the new consultants....all without pay! The only way you can make a real living is if you recruit hundreds of new beauty consultants, hope that they stay, and hope that they continue to order cosmetics so you get the commissions...or Love Check as they call it.

Stop trying so desperately to recruit new individuals and hire real sales individuals and offer a base salary with sales quotas. I would also strongly suggest to stop allowing people to purchase the cosmetics at 50% off simply for ordering a certain amount each quarter. For the reps really trying to sell, it completely squashes your sales when eventually your customers hear of or find someone that doesn't sell Mary Kay, but they do order a certain amount each quarter, therefore, they can order through their friend or acquaintence for 50% off the retail price. If they can find someone to order it from for half the price, why on earth would they buy it from an independent rep....who is spending money for the mailings, flyers, and paying for all of the party supplies each time they hold an event in their own home to generate some sales.

Stressful, Management promoted by being there forever, not by ability. Very political.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Pay, benefits, work place is old but well kept, at manufacturing. Corporate facilites very nice. Cafeterias were partially funded by the company, food was good, prices were very good. I believe that the current very top level executive does a great job.

Cons

Stress. They "claim" to practice the Golden Rule, but only in the opposite of what is meant! Work life balance they also preach but there is none in some departments. Everything depends on the VP you work for. If you advance in your career, how much you make, your level of satisfaction working there seems to be determined by who you work for. If you are not extremely well liked, but very competant in your work skills you will not go far. They still live in the 1970's. Too many of management have been there, and only there, too long.

Get some new people in management positions who have worked somewhere else have have experience outside of Mary Kay.

6. Don't Join Mary Kay, they just want your thousands of dollars.

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

They will accept anyone with a credit card

Cons

You will be coerced into buying a large inventory on your credit card. You will definitely not be able to sell this product at these prices. The upper level directors are just trying to get you to make that initial investment. It doesn't work, don't get sucked in.

Stop pushing inventory and lower your prices

Not Worth Your Time or Stress

Current Employee - Independent Senior Beauty Consultant
    Current Employee - Independent Senior Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

You set your own hours
    Meet really fantastic ladies
    Huge tax writes offs
    Discounted products for personal use
    Good support from others in the same business

Cons

Easy to get sucked into buying far too much product
    Have to sell a ton of product to start actually start netting money
    Pressure from your upline to buy more product
    Constantly changing products that leave you stuck with discontinued items that you can't sell
    All training, even weekly training meetings, has a fee
    Tax write offs don't make up for the money you lose trying to keep up with your inventory

My advice is more for others who are thinking about being an Independent Beauty Consultant. It is a very small percentage that can actually make a living at this. To make it work, you really have to be able to devote at least the equivalent of a full time job to it. The idea that you can make full time income with part time hours is not true at all. Your upline makes money off of the product you purchase from the company (not sell) and off of everything that your downline purchases from the company. The stress of trying to hold down a full time job, take care of my husband, keep up with church responsibilities, and do Mary Kay is not pleasant. The motto is "God first, Family second, Career third," but the company doesn't give you a way to make it actually work. I wish the company was more forth coming about what it really takes to succeed with this. If you have nothing else to do with your life right now, it may be worth a shot. Otherwise, it's not worth it and you'll probably lose money like I did.

Can not sell product I personally would not use.

Former Employee - I Can Not Sell What I Can Not Personally Use
    Former Employee - I Can Not Sell What I Can Not Personally Use

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

The work schedule is flexible.

Cons

The start up costs are extremely high. The managers always push, push, push sales consultants to buy more products. Yet, they do not guide you or support you when you are selling the products. You are mostly told what you can't do as opposed to what you can do. Also, I tested many of the products on myself and I would not feel comfortable selling products that I would not use on myself.

Some of the team leaders really do not give their best effort to help new sales consultants. They should be more willing to train or answer questions on product details for the sales consultants.

Don’t drink the purple cool aid.

Current Employee - Senior Developer - E-Business in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer - E-Business in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

Good benefits and some brilliant IT people.

Cons

Well if you found this review buried among all the happy Orwellian life is wonderful at Mary Kay propaganda congratulations you’ve accomplished a small miracle.
    The truth is Mark Kay propagates a very cult like atmosphere and the cool aid here is poured very thick. The word ponzi is never spoken in the marble and glass halls of the corporate office. The party line is god first, family second and career third but that applies only to the sales force and it’s really just more propaganda. The only way to earn even a very modest living as a Mary Kay consultant is to push your career status to Sr. Director or above. Turnover in the sales force is typically over 50% a year. Half the company’s income is from China and the other foreign subsidiaries. My best suggestion is to do a LOT of research before taking the plunge as a consultant.
    Corporate employees in the IT departments are expected to work sixty plus hour s week if necessary in order to meet arbitrary deadlines. The FTE development staff is the best, many are brilliant at what they do and to retain them Mary Kay pays absolutely huge profit sharing bonuses every year.
    If you don’t have a conscious and don’t mind working for a company that exploits a sales force of brain washed women or working for callous and egotistical managers whose technical expertise was obsolete before main frames were replaced by PCs Mary Kay can be a lucrative place to work.
    Be warned though that stress levels are very high and morale is low. Upper management rules with an iron fist through sycophantic and incompetent mid-level managers who hand out arbitrary discipline freely to maintain an atmosphere of fear and urgency among the rank and file.
    Also many US jobs at Mary Kay are being moved to China so job security is tenuous at best.

Go back to school and learn how software development is done in this century. At least pretend to live by “the golden rule” you so loudly proclaim at the corporate come to Jesus meetings.

10. Great Company but......

Former Employee - Special Events Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Special Events Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, busy job responsibilities

Cons

All the good people have left/retired, worked approximately 70-80 hours per week, 8-9 months out of the year for very little pay.

Spread the wealth!

11. Actual Mary Kay "Employee"

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful building, nice parking garage, good benefits, nice cafeteria

Cons

Let me first say that I am an actual "employee" at the corporate office and not an Independent Beauty Consultant (IBC). My first impression with Mary Kay was what an exciting place to work!

I soon found out that Mary Kay's leadership and management style is stuck in the 80's. Here at Mary Kay it's decision by committee, it's who you know and not what you know, and it's appearance over results. Instead of encouraging out of the box thinking, they discourage it. In fact, people look down their noses at you when you mention how things are done some place else.

I had great hopes when coming to Mary Kay, but now I feel as though I can't wait to get out! Here are a lot of managers with puffed up ego's who build empires to do nothing other than make themselves look good.

In short, from the dress code (business professional) to it's lack of empowering people to make their own decisions, Mary Kay is stuck in the past and behind the times!

Bring in new blood. Don't be afraid to change the culture.

Mary Kay Photos