Mary Kay Reviews

Reset

Commissions Based Only!

Former Employee - Cosmetics Consultant in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Cosmetics Consultant in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Mary Kay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- some products are great for self use. -if you know how to annoy people with your products, then the job is for you. -it's not a 9-5 job.

Cons

- you need to be able to put in your own money first before you can get a paycheck. -buy in-order to sell. -you have to be able to sell these cosmetic products like they are gold. -have to be a great speaker.

2. Independent Beauty Consultant

Current Employee - IBC in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - IBC in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good network of other IBCs

Cons

So many Mary Kay IBCs per area, makes it difficult to get new clients.

Not so great under the glossy surface - Employee review not consultant

Current Employee - IT Professional in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent salary and generally good bonus. Generous (though not guaranteed) retirement account contribution by the company. Nice office building with ample garage parking. Benefits are OK though not the best. The company is generally stable thus turnover is low. Company values employee tenure. Corporate senior management makes efforts to show that company cares about employees. On the surface, the corporate culture appears positive and caring.

Cons

Looking beyond the shiny building, inspirational quotes from the founder and the formal attire, the day to day work environment is a lot less professional. Tenured and entrenched employees are very resistant to change. Limited internal opportunities and organizational silos lead to a highly political and low-trust culture. Turf-buidling, cronyism, backstabbing and bullying are rampant and often encouraged by upper management. Promotions are handed out based more on personal relationships than on merit. The appearance of working hard counts more than the actual work result. Org structure is siloed and top-heavy. Most mid-level managers are self-serving and only manage up to get the next promotion. They create unnecessary layers under them just to build a case for promotion or start pet projects to justify additional headcount. Truly good internal career opportunities are all earmarked for the hiring manager's buddies.

Advice to Management

Stop ignoring all the bad behavior of middle management. Reorganize to reduce the silos. Pay more attention to the true business value of the work than just the pure amount of work. Don't equate bullying to leadership. Tenure is not everything. Changes are good for business. Insisting doing things the same old way and refusing to streamline the processes will allow all the inefficiencies and wasted work to continue.

5. They said that it was easy to "sprinkle-in", but they were wrong.

I worked at Mary Kay part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with people, getting free gifts and makeup, traveling with group,

Cons

If you have another job, don't even think about it. It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals. Plus, doing it as a younger member was extremely tough because people my age couldn't afford to spend $200 a month on makeup.

Advice to Management

There is no management, but I would tell them to give better coaches. Mine hardly ever worked with me and I had to do a lot of my first parties all by myself with no guidance.

Manager IT

Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice building, good pay, and bonuses.

Cons

The CIO is out to lunch. The VP's only care about their political standing. They don't have clues on how to get things done. Most projects take years to get implemented. They treat the staff like it should be a privilege to work there.

Advice to Management

Get rid of all Sr. Leadership at find people who are good at their job.

Actual Mary Kay "Employee"

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful building, nice parking garage, good benefits, nice cafeteria

Cons

Let me first say that I am an actual "employee" at the corporate office and not an Independent Beauty Consultant (IBC). My first impression with Mary Kay was what an exciting place to work! I soon found out that Mary Kay's leadership and management style is stuck in the 80's. Here at Mary Kay it's decision by committee, it's who you know and not what you know, and it's appearance over results. Instead of encouraging out of the box thinking, they discourage it. In fact, people look down their noses at you when you mention how things are done some place else. I had great hopes when coming to Mary Kay, but now I feel as though I can't wait to get out! Here are a lot of managers with puffed up ego's who build empires to do nothing other than make themselves look good. In short, from the dress code (business professional) to it's lack of empowering people to make their own decisions, Mary Kay is stuck in the past and behind the times!

Advice to Management

Bring in new blood. Don't be afraid to change the culture.

8. Great Company but......

Former Employee - Special Events Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Special Events Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, busy job responsibilities

Cons

All the good people have left/retired, worked approximately 70-80 hours per week, 8-9 months out of the year for very little pay.

Advice to Management

Spread the wealth!

9. Mary Kay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get products at a great discount!

Cons

The company doesn't support you if you continually meet low-income people.

Advice to Management

Train Directors to coach Consultants on how to deal with low-income people.

ok

I worked at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

If you put your all into it you can make a lot of money

Cons

Reps are not totally honest with you in regards to everything needed to stay a Mary Kay rap

Advice to Management

.Stop telling others that everythinStop telling others that everything it's easy when it's not eas you have your good days and bad day mostly ba

11. beauty consultant

Former Employee - Full-time Mom in Valrico, FL
    Former Employee - Full-time Mom in Valrico, FL

Pros

Make your own schedule, combines work and play, 50% commission on the items you sell, free cars if you meet/exceed the requirements, top-notch skin care and beauty products, plenty of recognition, awesome perks, rewards, prizes, and bonuses, and great educational materials available free-of-charge on and offline.

Cons

Began testing products on animals even though one of their mottos is God first, family second, career third.. Unless you are a licensed aesthetician, be aware that you cannot physically give people facials; you show them what products to use and teach them proper application through demonstrations (not a "con," rather "need-to-know" info). A majority of your sales are impulse buys, so if you do not have the A majority of your sales are impulse buys, so you should stock up on all available products (which costs a lot of money to do). This job requires lots of follow up with all of your clients and possible clients. Lots of let-downs from clients because of a system which is outdated and rapidly becoming less and less popular (referring to sales by-appointment-mostly and having to go through the same consultant everytime, and also with makeup parties and no one wanting to attend for fear of being pressured into buying products they cannot afford); this system needs a makeover badly!

Advice to Management

The products are fantastic, but when someone hears Mary Kay lady, the image they have in their heads isn't usually viewed positively. People view this job as a cold calling, high-pressure sales job and clients would like the option of a physical store so they have the ability to browse the items and test them without someone in their face "Trying to make a sale the whole time."

RSS Feed </> Embed