Mary Kay Reviews

Updated September 17, 2014
4.1

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • If you don't have self discipline and an entrepreneural spirit, this is not the career for you (in 8 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Requires a lot of time and effort to be successful as a consultant!

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great product
    Second income opportunity
    You define your role
    Great tax benefits
    Focus on Family, God, and Self
    Company handles the sales tax
    Will purchase

Cons

Quotas to keep discount privileges
    High shipping costs
    All the supplies needed to sell the product cost extra
    Directors are great at talking you into buying more and dangling the carrot
    Strong use of gifts or prizes to manipulate you into reaching targets
    You can't be shy to do this job, it requires a lot of personal selling

Tier your shipping rates so that when I need to order just a few items I'm not paying more for shipping than I am for the samples or catalogs. Make rewards more attainable in the beginning, not all new consultants can afford to place an order that is $1,800. I also don't think it is smart to push consultants into opening a Mary Kay credit card to start their inventory. To be successful a consultant shouldn't have to start off their business in debt and with loads of product they may not sell.

9 out of 10 of these reviews are from independent sales force members, not from employees

Current Employee - Management  in  Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Beautiful building, good pay and benefits. Nice people. Sales force is amazing.

Cons

Slow, decision by committee. U.S. division is stagnant and territorial (from the top). Old fashioned management styles and lots of puffed up egos. Prime positions tend to go to those won't rock the boat or think outside the box.

Don't keep waiting for dead weight to retire. Package them out. its no secret who they are. And maybe you should promote a few more brave people who aren't afraid to take risks and the responsibility that goes along with those risks. And leaders, be visionary, and reward others who are. It's ok to disagree as Vice Presidents. Don't all meld into minions. And, stop getting business advice from the people who retired already! Let them go!

Fun products, but forced to buy a certain threshold of inventory.

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Great products and marketing materials.

Cons

Lot of competition, having parties a hassle, forced to buy product to remain active.

Don't force quarterly product purchasing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have had a great experience buying my products for my own use.

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

I only buy the products for my self use.

Cons

They ask you to go into strangers homes.

Decent sales training - not as good as it used to be

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time for more than a year

Pros

You work your own hours and determine your own success

Cons

As with all direct sales, once you run out of family and friends it's hard to earn a living. Sales Directors will tell you about the great opportunities to get rich. You will mainly be padding their income rather than yours.

Good experience, but no base pay

Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant  in  Woodhaven, MI
    Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Woodhaven, MI

I worked at Mary Kay part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved the chance to put myself out there and gained experience in the business

Cons

No steady pay, and very hard to reach the minimum monthly requirements.

Like many MLM Co. It's all what you put in it.

Former Employee - Mary Kay Consultant
    Former Employee - Mary Kay Consultant

I worked at Mary Kay for less than a year

Pros

Self Growth, new friends, new connections, growth potential

Cons

Enormous amount of time and money to put in, to bank on others.

Love the company, hate my job

Current Employee - IT Professional  in  Addison, TX
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time for less than a year

Pros

> First of all let me make something clear: most of the reviews on here are from Independent Beauty Consultants. They are NOT Mary Kay employees, so do not judge what it's like to work for the Mary Kay corporation by these reviews.
    > I work in the headquarters building on Mary Kay Way. It is a beautiful facility. I really love walking into it everyday. The food in the cafeteria is amazing and really affordable. A professional team of kitchen chefs and cooks prepare meals that you would find in restaurants for less than $7. Can't beat it! Also all parking is underground so you never have to worry about your car sitting in the sun all day or running to it in the rain.
    > The employees are very polite and friendly and respectful of women which is really cool.
    > The security guards are very professional and take their job seriously. They actually check your badge and make sure you belong there. That makes me feel safe knowing they are not going to let some wacko head up stairs and terrorize people. They also carry sidearms.. I love it!
    > The mission of the company, enriching women's lives, is a great thing to work for; especially in parts of the world that are emerging from depressing old economies where women have had no opportunity to make a living before. It's not just words, the employees really believe in this stuff and are doing everything in their power to help the beauty consultants be successful in their businesses.
    > This is by far the most money I've ever made somewhere. Salary, bonuses, profit sharing, random gifts and perks, benefits, etc is all top notch. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a place that compensates their employees better than this one.

Cons

> I am an employee of the company in the Information Systems & Technology department at Mary Kay. I can tell you that Balanced Priorities, Make Me Feel Important, and The Golden Rule do not apply to us. We work like f'ing dogs here! Impossible deadlines and competing deadlines are put upon us and we get to kill ourselves to accomplish the goals anyway. It sucks! I have no life. I just work all the freaking time. Everything is a crisis every day. It's absolute chaos and misery. I don't know how else to describe it. The best part of my day is going to the cafeteria and getting some good food. The 2nd best part of the day is when i get the hell out of there and go home to my family.
    > They use a ton of contractors here and this is why they can work everyone like dogs and get away with it. If you burn out, oh well they can just hire another contractor. If they don't like you, they can end your contract. If you're one of the lucky few, you can become an employee. But most people in this department are only contractors and don't get to become employees. I can't say what it's like for other departments at Mary Kay. I'm sure it's wonderful because most people are so happy around the HQ building.

> Say "No" more often to people who want stuff from us (i.e. Marketing)
    > Focus on a few major projects at at time and do those well, let them settle down, then start new ones
    > Look outside Mary Kay to see what successful IT organizations are doing. Why don't we just do Scrum instead of our own half-assed version of "Agile" that isn't really agile at all?
    > Put more power in the hands of competent technology leaders and less in the hands of delegators who don't really know how to make things work. (i.e. put a Software Developer in charge of the software development team, not a bunch of project managers)
    > Organize your team so that everyone is on the same page and has a clear picture of the priorities; rather than parsing out multiple projects to PMs and having them compete with each other to get the BAs and Devs to work on their deliverables.

It is a JOB...but many don't see it that way

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There is flexibility because you work for yourself and choose the career path you work towards. The more appointments you hold and recruits you have, the more money you theoretically make.

Cons

Unless you build a team of recruits, you really do not net much money if you attend the conferences and participate in everything you are encouraged to do...that all costs money that comes from your profits. Plus, you need to buy supples and samples that also chop away from profits. While you are caught up in the pink bubble, many do not see clearly and think they are making more money than they truly are. Even with recruits, unless they are placing orders on a regular basis, your commissions may not be much.

Cut back on events that cause consultants to travel and pay hundreds of dollars to do so. Also reduce/ deter speakers that sell their "systems" to consultants for hundreds of dollars...they don't change 98% of the population and just make the speakers richer

Lopsided opportunity.

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant  in  El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great personal growth experiences; enjoyed life lessons.

Cons

Company is excited for you while things are going good; not so much when not going so good. Lopsided opportunity for those without a commissioned National Sales Director and/or a motivated and productive Sales Director.

Develop an opportunity for Consultants and Directors in the "Go Give" area (those who do not have a commissioned National Sales Director) to be adopted into a commissioned National Sales Director's area. Lack of support by a commissioned National Sales Director by thousands of Consultants and Directors leads to lopsided and UNEQUAL opportunity for those who lack a commissioned National Sales Director. There are many in the company who would deny this, giving grandiose examples of this person and that person who have achieved great accomplishments in spite of not having a commissioned NSD, however those stories are not the common experiences of most "Go Give Area" Consultants and Directors. Those who share such stories do so to promote their position and to attempt to gently dilute the truth that it does indeed matter who you join the company under and what leadership you may or may not enjoy within that group's support hierarchy.

Career Car Staff - please be as genuinely caring and nice to the Director or Consultant who has lost her career car as the one who has just earned it.

Worked for Mary Kay? Contribute to the Community!