www.marykay.com

Updated December 19, 2014
4.2

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits - but some of the qualities are cosmetic in nature

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Mary Kay offers great health benefits (for both the employee and his/her entire family), a good bonus plan, and a substantial product discount. (Even men can benefit from the discount... great gifts for girlfriends, wives, or other female relatives.) The company also offers telecommuting options and a "Flex Friday" program (which isn't consistently supported, but occasionally useful). The working environment is nice, with a full cafeteria serving breakfast and lunch as well as snacks like cookies and ice cream. There is also a fitness center, although the location is a little odd (on an upper floor with windows, without much privacy). Recognition programs are strong, and include both work-related achievements and personal achievements (such as earning a degree, running a marathon, etc.).

Cons

At Mary Kay, work-life balance is supported to some degree - but not fully. They claim to put life and family above career, but many employees are required to carry pagers, and after-hours work is frequently expected. The Flexible Friday program is offered to everyone - But often, employees who actually take their earned Friday off are frowned upon.

The dress code is rigid, but actually a little easier for men (dress pants, a dress shirt and a tie, but no jacket) than for women (suit with matching skirt and jacket). Women aren't even allowed to wear pant-suits on certain days, when there are sales events in the building.

Advancement opportunities exist, but are like moving targets. Some people in the company do thrive, but for many others, the promises of bigger and better opportunities don't materialize.

As in most companies, salary ranges are not disclosed to employees. However, based on comments, it seemed as though most people felt that their salaries were low and/or not competitive with the market), but believed that the health benefits and profit sharing plans made up for that.

Overall, it's a quirky environment - though many folks find the culture endearing, it isn't for everyone...

Meet the standards you claim to keep, and live up to the promises you make.

Not what the company used to be, but still probably better than average.

Current Employee - Processing Technician in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Processing Technician in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO and vacation is good.
    Opportunity for advancement is good.
    401K and profit sharing is good.

Cons

Benefits aren't what they used to be.
    Compensation hasn't been adjusted form the offset of the benefits.
    Company has been on a steady decline since Mary Kay Ash's death.

Management needs to listen to the workers more and adjust compensation for what we had lost in benefits.

Okay Experience

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Addison, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I learned a lot.
    Gave me opportunities to learn all the roles and was able to work on a wide range of projects
    Benefits and compensation

Cons

Long hours
    People push there work on you
    Caddy employees
    Do not follow the Mary Kay way
    Management is unfair with promotions
    Unfair work environment

Be more open and fair with employees

First Contract Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I took this contract position to get back into a field I haven't been in for several years, increase my salary point, and work a legitimate 40-hour work week (rather than the 50-60 hours a week I was working in my previous permanent full-time job). It has certainly allowed me to do those things, but I am not happy with the move. I think I may just not be cut out for freelance work.

Cons

The training pace has been very slow and not very helpful, and the level of trust placed in me by my direct supervisor has been disappointingly low (though I'm not sure if this is just me, her need for control, or a lack of trust in contractors in general). I was told the contract would not extend past eight months but I wasn't trained on any of my actual job duties until I had been there for two weeks, and they don't seem like temporary needs, but I guess it's on them if they don't want to use me for what they hire me for.

I don't feel at home here, perhaps because it's contract and I went in with a set end date in mind, but I don't think I will want to stay even if I'm offered an extension. I'm having a hard time understanding how/why so many people have stayed for 10-20 years. Part of this could also be my experience with HR, which has been terrible.

Having such a large number of contract employees, more effort could be put into a formal orientation and/or training program. That might have made me feel a bit more included, even for the short time I expect to stay. This would not even have to take more than an hour or two.

Current Employee - IBC
    Current Employee - IBC

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

flexible schedule and self promotion

Cons

many issues surrounding ordering that promote company success over the individual

An okay work place

Current Employee - Software Developer in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I found nothing extra ordinary about this place.

Cons

Some office politics. Okay salary, nothing great. Very less growth opportunities.

Mary Kay Be all you can be!

Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work for yourself, on your time, full time or part time.

Cons

You get back what you get in. Don't think getting that Pink Cadillac is easy. They all make you want to think that way.

Requires a lot of time and effort to be successful as a consultant!

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great product
    Second income opportunity
    You define your role
    Great tax benefits
    Focus on Family, God, and Self
    Company handles the sales tax
    Will purchase

Cons

Quotas to keep discount privileges
    High shipping costs
    All the supplies needed to sell the product cost extra
    Directors are great at talking you into buying more and dangling the carrot
    Strong use of gifts or prizes to manipulate you into reaching targets
    You can't be shy to do this job, it requires a lot of personal selling

Tier your shipping rates so that when I need to order just a few items I'm not paying more for shipping than I am for the samples or catalogs. Make rewards more attainable in the beginning, not all new consultants can afford to place an order that is $1,800. I also don't think it is smart to push consultants into opening a Mary Kay credit card to start their inventory. To be successful a consultant shouldn't have to start off their business in debt and with loads of product they may not sell.

9 out of 10 of these reviews are from independent sales force members, not from employees

Current Employee - Management in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - Management in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Beautiful building, good pay and benefits. Nice people. Sales force is amazing.

Cons

Slow, decision by committee. U.S. division is stagnant and territorial (from the top). Old fashioned management styles and lots of puffed up egos. Prime positions tend to go to those won't rock the boat or think outside the box.

Don't keep waiting for dead weight to retire. Package them out. its no secret who they are. And maybe you should promote a few more brave people who aren't afraid to take risks and the responsibility that goes along with those risks. And leaders, be visionary, and reward others who are. It's ok to disagree as Vice Presidents. Don't all meld into minions. And, stop getting business advice from the people who retired already! Let them go!

Fun products, but forced to buy a certain threshold of inventory.

I worked at Mary Kay

Pros

Great products and marketing materials.

Cons

Lot of competition, having parties a hassle, forced to buy product to remain active.

Don't force quarterly product purchasing.

Mary Kay Photos