Mary Kay Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
4.1

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Lopsided opportunity.

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great personal growth experiences; enjoyed life lessons.

Cons

Company is excited for you while things are going good; not so much when not going so good. Lopsided opportunity for those without a commissioned National Sales Director and/or a motivated and productive Sales Director.

Develop an opportunity for Consultants and Directors in the "Go Give" area (those who do not have a commissioned National Sales Director) to be adopted into a commissioned National Sales Director's area. Lack of support by a commissioned National Sales Director by thousands of Consultants and Directors leads to lopsided and UNEQUAL opportunity for those who lack a commissioned National Sales Director. There are many in the company who would deny this, giving grandiose examples of this person and that person who have achieved great accomplishments in spite of not having a commissioned NSD, however those stories are not the common experiences of most "Go Give Area" Consultants and Directors. Those who share such stories do so to promote their position and to attempt to gently dilute the truth that it does indeed matter who you join the company under and what leadership you may or may not enjoy within that group's support hierarchy.

Career Car Staff - please be as genuinely caring and nice to the Director or Consultant who has lost her career car as the one who has just earned it.

Good place to start

I worked at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products are good, I love the products

Cons

Unethical practices, fake it till you make it attitude, if you don't recruit then you are not working hard enough...

Let people make their own choices, don't make us feel we HAVE to get inventory or HAVE to recruit.

Great Products!

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Products and there is always something new to make you look and feel great!

Cons

They tell you that you can do this job part time and supplement your income...FALSE! The supplemental income only comes with a large time and monetary investment.

It's 2014! The world is a digital world. We need to utilize online sales more and make this an opportunity for consultants to invest little money and work part time and still supplement income.

Great way to make extra money if you have a lot of friends

Current Employee - Marykay Senior Consultant in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Marykay Senior Consultant in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy way to make extra money. Great way to help people see the value/beauty in themselves. Very positive and uplifting environment.
    Lots of love and support from those around you because the business is built on mindset of 'what would you do if you couldn't fail' and 'you have to help someone else to help yourself'

Cons

You really need to know a lot of people with disposable income to do well in the business. Mary Kay sales it's self to those that are willing to try it. Usually people that don't know you are reluctant to have a stranger hand them things to put on their face without a referral from a friend or family member.

The products are Amazing, but the potential for success as a rep requires much.

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the products! I love the way the company empowers women and builds confidence. Going to the meetings makes you feel like you can accomplish anything!

Cons

Unfortunately, it is close to impossible to be a successful rep unless you invest a large sum of money and commit to it on a full time basis. I thought it would be a good way supplement my income, but the money I had to spend to stay active outweighed the money I was bringing in. Now I have a lot of product on hand and no time to market it to customers.

We are now in 2014 where technology is taking over and the economy is not so great. Find a better way to market website sales and don't require such a high order volume to stay active.

Great company but...

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products, lots of tools to help you succeed, support from your director and others if you are able to take advantage of it, nice incentives if you are able to reach goals

Cons

Difficult to really make the business work unless you are willing and able to make a substantial investment (are told only have to purchase basic program to get started-can make it work with that but you don't look professional or successful handing out samples on cardboard), are strongly encouraged to have stock at all times & that is expensive and can create storage issues, must have the time & support to devote to working this business, always hustling.

Easier was to start out without handing out makeup on cardboard. Was never able to sell skincare like I can makeup. Not even close. Should offer makeup artist classes to consultants. I have certifications and have seen far too many consultants struggle to put makeup on others and give color suggestions that were totally wrong for the age and skintone.

Wonderful opportunity for the self motivated!

Former Employee - Sales Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Mary Kay part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work your own hours, flexibility, excellent training

Cons

Must be a good time manager -- rejection factor very difficult to build teams

Update 1963 compensation plan

Great for additional income but not when starting out in life

I have been working at Mary Kay

Pros

Great to earn money for a vacation and have fun. Learn a lot from this culture.

Cons

Not meant to be something that will be expected as a quick fix, it takes a lot of work and FaceTime.

Great Work Life Balance & benefits, lack of innovation & strategy , slow to change and no opportunity for growth

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, Workllife balance, product discount, global company

Cons

conservative, slow to change, lack of creativity or innovation, no growth opportunities, no accountability, lack of strong leadership at Director/VP level, beauracracy, highly political

My life at Mary Kay.

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Mary Kay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products and enthusiastic sales force.

Cons

Slow to move and make change. Negative brand perception.

Be more forward thinking/visionary and less risk averse.

Mary Kay Photos

Just outside of town there is the Mary Kay corporate building. (Photo thanks to Flickr user .sanden, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
The Mary Kay building backs onto a quiet little park that was featured in the low-budget movie Primer. (Photo thanks to Flickr user pwinn, available under by-nc v2.0)
Mary Kay Escalade, Austin (Photo thanks to Flickr user jon_gilbert, available under by-nc-sa v2.0)
One of the most beautiful building I've ever seen is the Mary Kay building in North Dallas. (Photo thanks to Flickr user pwinn, available under by-nc v2.0)

+ Add Photo