Mary Kay

Updated December 19, 2014
4.1

Mary Kay President and CEO David B. Holl
David B. Holl

Pros
  • Place God first, family second and career third in my life (in 15 reviews)

• Mary Kay is a debt-free, privately held company that operates by the Golden Rule, and teaches God first, Family second, Career third (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unlike having accountability to an employer, it's necessary to develop the skill of self-discipline to succeed (in 10 reviews)

• It's is so haard after coming home from your regular full-time job and then having to drive to visit 4 people in one night to meet sales goals (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I have had a great experience buying my products for my own use.

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time

Pros

I only buy the products for my self use.

Cons

They ask you to go into strangers homes.

Decent sales training - not as good as it used to be

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You work your own hours and determine your own success

Cons

As with all direct sales, once you run out of family and friends it's hard to earn a living. Sales Directors will tell you about the great opportunities to get rich. You will mainly be padding their income rather than yours.

Good experience, but no base pay

Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Woodhaven, MI
    Former Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Woodhaven, MI

I worked at Mary Kay part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the chance to put myself out there and gained experience in the business

Cons

No steady pay, and very hard to reach the minimum monthly requirements.

Like many MLM Co. It's all what you put in it.

Former Employee - Mary Kay Consultant
    Former Employee - Mary Kay Consultant

I worked at Mary Kay (less than an year)

Pros

Self Growth, new friends, new connections, growth potential

Cons

Enormous amount of time and money to put in, to bank on others.

Love the company, hate my job

Current Employee - IT Professional in Addison, TX
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Addison, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay full-time (less than an year)

Pros

> First of all let me make something clear: most of the reviews on here are from Independent Beauty Consultants. They are NOT Mary Kay employees, so do not judge what it's like to work for the Mary Kay corporation by these reviews.
    > I work in the headquarters building on Mary Kay Way. It is a beautiful facility. I really love walking into it everyday. The food in the cafeteria is amazing and really affordable. A professional team of kitchen chefs and cooks prepare meals that you would find in restaurants for less than $7. Can't beat it! Also all parking is underground so you never have to worry about your car sitting in the sun all day or running to it in the rain.
    > The employees are very polite and friendly and respectful of women which is really cool.
    > The security guards are very professional and take their job seriously. They actually check your badge and make sure you belong there. That makes me feel safe knowing they are not going to let some wacko head up stairs and terrorize people. They also carry sidearms.. I love it!
    > The mission of the company, enriching women's lives, is a great thing to work for; especially in parts of the world that are emerging from depressing old economies where women have had no opportunity to make a living before. It's not just words, the employees really believe in this stuff and are doing everything in their power to help the beauty consultants be successful in their businesses.
    > This is by far the most money I've ever made somewhere. Salary, bonuses, profit sharing, random gifts and perks, benefits, etc is all top notch. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a place that compensates their employees better than this one.

Cons

> I am an employee of the company in the Information Systems & Technology department at Mary Kay. I can tell you that Balanced Priorities, Make Me Feel Important, and The Golden Rule do not apply to us. We work like f'ing dogs here! Impossible deadlines and competing deadlines are put upon us and we get to kill ourselves to accomplish the goals anyway. It sucks! I have no life. I just work all the freaking time. Everything is a crisis every day. It's absolute chaos and misery. I don't know how else to describe it. The best part of my day is going to the cafeteria and getting some good food. The 2nd best part of the day is when i get the hell out of there and go home to my family.
    > They use a ton of contractors here and this is why they can work everyone like dogs and get away with it. If you burn out, oh well they can just hire another contractor. If they don't like you, they can end your contract. If you're one of the lucky few, you can become an employee. But most people in this department are only contractors and don't get to become employees. I can't say what it's like for other departments at Mary Kay. I'm sure it's wonderful because most people are so happy around the HQ building.

> Say "No" more often to people who want stuff from us (i.e. Marketing)
    > Focus on a few major projects at at time and do those well, let them settle down, then start new ones
    > Look outside Mary Kay to see what successful IT organizations are doing. Why don't we just do Scrum instead of our own half-assed version of "Agile" that isn't really agile at all?
    > Put more power in the hands of competent technology leaders and less in the hands of delegators who don't really know how to make things work. (i.e. put a Software Developer in charge of the software development team, not a bunch of project managers)
    > Organize your team so that everyone is on the same page and has a clear picture of the priorities; rather than parsing out multiple projects to PMs and having them compete with each other to get the BAs and Devs to work on their deliverables.

It is a JOB...but many don't see it that way

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is flexibility because you work for yourself and choose the career path you work towards. The more appointments you hold and recruits you have, the more money you theoretically make.

Cons

Unless you build a team of recruits, you really do not net much money if you attend the conferences and participate in everything you are encouraged to do...that all costs money that comes from your profits. Plus, you need to buy supples and samples that also chop away from profits. While you are caught up in the pink bubble, many do not see clearly and think they are making more money than they truly are. Even with recruits, unless they are placing orders on a regular basis, your commissions may not be much.

Cut back on events that cause consultants to travel and pay hundreds of dollars to do so. Also reduce/ deter speakers that sell their "systems" to consultants for hundreds of dollars...they don't change 98% of the population and just make the speakers richer

Lopsided opportunity.

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in El Paso, TX

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great personal growth experiences; enjoyed life lessons.

Cons

Company is excited for you while things are going good; not so much when not going so good. Lopsided opportunity for those without a commissioned National Sales Director and/or a motivated and productive Sales Director.

Develop an opportunity for Consultants and Directors in the "Go Give" area (those who do not have a commissioned National Sales Director) to be adopted into a commissioned National Sales Director's area. Lack of support by a commissioned National Sales Director by thousands of Consultants and Directors leads to lopsided and UNEQUAL opportunity for those who lack a commissioned National Sales Director. There are many in the company who would deny this, giving grandiose examples of this person and that person who have achieved great accomplishments in spite of not having a commissioned NSD, however those stories are not the common experiences of most "Go Give Area" Consultants and Directors. Those who share such stories do so to promote their position and to attempt to gently dilute the truth that it does indeed matter who you join the company under and what leadership you may or may not enjoy within that group's support hierarchy.

Career Car Staff - please be as genuinely caring and nice to the Director or Consultant who has lost her career car as the one who has just earned it.

Good place to start

I worked at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The products are good, I love the products

Cons

Unethical practices, fake it till you make it attitude, if you don't recruit then you are not working hard enough...

Let people make their own choices, don't make us feel we HAVE to get inventory or HAVE to recruit.

Great Products!

Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Current Employee - Independent Beauty Consultant in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Products and there is always something new to make you look and feel great!

Cons

They tell you that you can do this job part time and supplement your income...FALSE! The supplemental income only comes with a large time and monetary investment.

It's 2014! The world is a digital world. We need to utilize online sales more and make this an opportunity for consultants to invest little money and work part time and still supplement income.

Great way to make extra money if you have a lot of friends

Current Employee - Marykay Senior Consultant in Gastonia, NC
    Current Employee - Marykay Senior Consultant in Gastonia, NC

I have been working at Mary Kay part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy way to make extra money. Great way to help people see the value/beauty in themselves. Very positive and uplifting environment.
    Lots of love and support from those around you because the business is built on mindset of 'what would you do if you couldn't fail' and 'you have to help someone else to help yourself'

Cons

You really need to know a lot of people with disposable income to do well in the business. Mary Kay sales it's self to those that are willing to try it. Usually people that don't know you are reluctant to have a stranger hand them things to put on their face without a referral from a friend or family member.

Mary Kay Photos